Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Discovery 147 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Discovery 147 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 7.67/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

07-27-2011
Submitted by: BJWSend Email

terrible canoe. Very tippy. We could not even have coffee in the boat much less take our guns and Forget taking our lab. We tried several different combinations of people and it was unstable in every situation...we are disappointed that it wasn't what we thought it would be

12-02-2009
Submitted by: Reed JonesSend Email

Bought mine used (but pretty pristine) and took it on a 4-day river trip as a solo paddler. It turned okay and tracked straight and the Crosslink material held up well to all the rocks that the relatively low water levels exposed it to. Not really loving the keel, but I suppose it helps keep it stable. Didn't help with the rocks, though, as it tended to get hung up and pitch the boat sideways. It seems like a decent choice if you want to river trip solo and do "family outing" tandem stuff on lakes. Wouldn't want to portage the beast, though.

05-26-2009
Submitted by: GabeSend Email

I purchased a 17' Discovery 147 Old Town canoe. It is a rugged, well made canoe. It is very stable and safe for the whole family.

05-16-2008
Submitted by: DeanSend Email

My first canoe so I have nothing to compare it to except for the old aluminum ones that I've paddled a few times. Thus, the ten rating. I have no complaints. For the money, it's a great boat. I've read a few reviews from people who complain about the weight but I personally have no problem with handling it by myself. Like anything else, you just have to figure out a routine that works and stick to it. A little arm strength helps. It tracks well and is fast and stable enough. Very proud.

01-22-2007

Old Town Guide 147, polylink 3 material. My third canoe, very stable, have used it for fishing, tripping, on large lakes, and rivers up to class 11. Would reccomend it for anyone wanting a great all round boat.

06-25-2004

Solid performer. It is so stable that I can stand to fish. It is also a very dry boat. It tracks pretty well for its length. I use it for both flat water and river tripping.

07-22-2002
Submitted by: P.M.Send Email

I use without troubles my 147 in a small and wild lake close Rome...Obviously it is a hard canoe, useful for training: in Italy it isn't easy to find a canadian canoe so many people are struck by its shape..It is a pleasure to paddle especially during the winter.

05-16-1999

My father has a 147 (Crosslink), and I really enjoy it. We do a lot of lake paddling and we find that it is very smooth in the water and stable. I would recommend it for recreational paddling. It's a great canoe.

05-04-1999
Submitted by: RPDSend Email

These are obviously small short boats suitable for one or two people and limited gear at most. Mine was the proprietary crosslink. Very industrial, rugged [bombproof], very heavy, and did not handle especially well, probably a function of the size and weight togethor. So if you are not Arnold Schwarznegger, good luck!

PFD Buyers' Guide: