Product Reviews > Accessories > Thule Rack System for 4-Runner Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Thule Rack System for 4-Runner

Research Roof Racks and Trailers in the Buyers' Guide!
Roof Racks and Trailers
View Roof Racks and Trailers in Buyers' Guide

03-30-2001

I have been a Thule rack owner for over 20 years. I have ordered new components as I changed sports and changed car models (mostly Volvos(5) and Honda Accords (3)). I have moved kayaks, International Optimist dinghys, Lasers, plywood, and lumber, safely and efficiently. I would recommend Thule to anyone requiring a rack. I also recommend the Thule rack design application that is located at their web site. This expert system will helpyou design the right system for you. It has been great for me and for the people that I have recommend to use this tool. Thule is a quality product.

01-02-2001
Submitted by: TJ Hanson

I was sorry to hear about our 4-Runner friends bad experience with Thule. As a long time employee of Thule what bothers me more is the lack of help and acknowledgement he received from us. Everyone at Thule prides itself in going the extra mile to help our dealers and consumers. There is no excuse for why this happened and I will not try and fabricate one. The fit problem on the track of the 4-Runner is one that has been corrected with the design of our new Tracker II foot. The original Tracker's cam hardware could become misaligned in the track if not properly engaged during tightening. The new design has a built-in guide to prevent misalignment from happening.

10-25-1999
Submitted by: TigSend Email

Though Thule has a great reputation for racks and accessories, the cam bolt adapter that comes with the feet for SUVs with roof mounted rack tracks (Toyota 4Runners) is utterly FLAWED. This is extremely important for anyone with such a system; after installing the racks CHECK them by jerking them forward and aft, chances are the cam will slip in the track and you'll see why the design is horrible and dangerous. We discovered this design flaw when we almost lost our kayaks during hard braking when a rack slid in the track. Thule will not acknowledge nor answer to this flaw, so buy Yakimas!!! For those with such a rack system the fix is either: (simple fix) rounding the upper edge of the cam nut with a file to allow proper rotation of the cam in the track during tightening of the allen bolts OR (bomb-proof fix): visiting a machine shop and getting 4 flexible metal squares machined to fit within the tracks, threaded to accept the allen bolts. Also, the allen bolts, though very strong, they will readily rust, a diligent search will result in stainless steel bolts. For more details E-mail me and I'll send images of the fixes.