Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Tripper XL Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tripper XL Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 9.67/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

Tripper XL Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Length: 20' 0" - Width: 41.0" - Starting at: $2199.99
See More Details about this Canoe
Old Town Canoe Logo

03-29-2013
Submitted by: BCJSend Email

The Old Town XL Tripper is the best canoe I've ever paddled. Regardless of the length, when just one or two on board it turns great because of no keel. But if you want to load it up, and up and up, it can handle up to 1700 lbs, (that's eight 200 lb people +). Just keep them sitting on the floor unless they are paddling.

I have run class 2 and 3 in this canoe solo and tandem with great agility. Other things I've used the XL Tripper for: hauled two weeks of ample camping supplies for two, have pushed over two miles into a flooded cave, fly fishing for two with room to cast, hauled a rick of firewood, hauled a 15kW generator (400+ lbs, fished in the ocean.
The Royalex material has stood up for years.

Recommendations: get a center seat or foam saddle for the middle if going solo or triple. If doing the Boundary Waters or long trips, make a snap on rain cover.

04-18-2012

I love this canoe and have owned it since 1996 when I received it as a wedding present from my wife to be at the time and we have used it and used it some more and we now have two children who love it as much as we do. It is a great family canoe and surprisingly nimble for its size, we also have attached a 3.3 h.p. outboard for long distance and fishing the kids love it as well.
GREAT JOB OLD TOWN!!!!

02-12-2012
Submitted by:

I've been canoeing for over 50 years and this is the best canoe I have ever had. It is a bit heavy but never had anything better in big water and class 3 & 4 rapids. Built for rough and serious canoeing so I give it a 10+.

03-30-2010
Submitted by: slowtravelerSend Email

The Tripper XL is an excellent heavy duty expedition boat for big people and lots of gear. I've been very happy with it. The hull speed is roughly the same as a standard Tripper.

We've paddled it in very big water, using a bomb proof Northwater spray skirt (also heavy) and had the times of our lives. It is also very maneuverable in technical whitewater for its size. It is very stable with a load and can be easily poled. We added a thwart just behind the bow seat with a reinforced hole the size of our poling pole. We glued a D-ring directly below the hole to use as a step for our mast (our poling pole with a pulley near the top attached with a pipe clamp.) With our triangular sail, we were able to sail broad and beam reaches in winds up to 30 miles/hour without much heeling. We moved right along. Total additional weight of the sailing gear was 18 ounces.

The Tripper XL is a heavy boat by any standards and is a bear to portage, even with a knu-pac. Since it is a solidly built boat, it can be dragged over vegetation and then lifted over rocks. Not good for heavily trampled portage trails.

I love this boat, but it is just to heavy for trips with a lot of portages. Our paddling is mostly long distance rivers with a lot of class II and III rapids. It laughs at hitting rocks.

06-02-2009
Submitted by: EJSend Email

The OT XL Tripper is an excellent canoe for what it's made to do, carry weight. Sure, paddling this barge you may think you should be on one of the major waterways of North America, but owning several canoes, it's quite humble and smooth in the water.
The XL Tripper is the best commercially available that can hold 1700+lbs and cruise through the water with a shallow draft and 43 in. beam. Put a trolling motor on it, sit back and cruise. OT should make a snap in seat for this wide of beam.

06-08-2000
Submitted by: PARSend Email

Big, heavy, more big. My wife, son, two daughters and all our gear scoot up wind with 5 paddles going. Our golfing umbrellas make great spinnakers down wind. It is not too bad when lighter with just my son and I, but it is a greyhound bus and does best with 500 lbs or more. We love it when its in the water and with two people its not so bad to carry. I load it on top my full size van with just my 12 yr old son. He is learning with this canoe and loves it. It is not too big unless you are solo with no gear, even then it is stable enough to stand and move about to tend to matters. I can't recommend it enough and really enjoy it. If you cannot carry 100 lbs, get something else. I made my own motor mount with 2x4s and 2x6s and a 6 hp works fine up river, but you do need to balance things out.

04-03-2000
Submitted by: RRSend Email

I have owned a tripper XL for 12 years. In that time it has done more miles than I can count. I've done class 4 in a loaded open canoe and have done many extended wilderness trips with the boys. I have taken my wife three kids and the 70 lb dog for trips and at times even brought a play pen. The wife is a little strange when it comes to camping. If you want to camp in style this is the machine. However, don't get stuck with to many portages. This is a great machine when a work horse is required in rough conditions.

07-06-1999
Submitted by: MC

I've had five picnic tables an out house a couple of 18 lb. rock bars, a chain saw, gas, chaps, two shovels, a couple of maddoxes, some chain, winches, personal gear and food for several days, and two burly guys in this thing. It did pretty good. It's a beast of burden but it handles it very well, stable, pretty quick, not bad up stream, and it really can turn. It's a blast on a big river. We went to great lengths not to carry it though.

01-12-1999
Submitted by: Forrest BrownellSend Email

Twenty feet long. One hundred and five knee-buckling pounds. A moose, pure and simple -- and like North America's largest deer, the Old Town XL Tripper is most at home in wild, remote country, where its unique combination of strength and size comes into its own. Not a whitewater playboat -- you'll find its length to be a bit of a handicap when attempting tight eddy turns in narrow, technical rivers -- the XL Tripper is best paddled as the voyageurs paddled their North Canoes. As you slide this big boat from side to side, lining up the chutes, you'll discover just how powerful a technique the ferry can be.

The XL _is_ fast, make no mistake: the long waterline sees to that. And it holds a lot of gear. Half a ton isn't too much. Get something else for your whitewater weekends and for pond hopping in the Adirondacks, but when the horizon calls and the days stretch out into months, get an XL Tripper. You won't do better.