Product Reviews > Kayaks > Necky Kayaks > Tornak Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tornak Kayak by Necky Kayaks

Rated: 8.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

09-22-2013

We have the fiberglass version and love it.
Size: Definitely built for a small/medium person or larger person who likes a tight fit. She is 5'3", 140 and I'm 5'8", 180. Fits her great, fits me a little snugly but I still like it.

Handling: I love the secondary stability of it. We've both taken it out on Puget Sound quite a bit in moderate chop and have never felt like we were going for a swim.
Tracks remarkably well for a 15 footer, especially when you get it up to speed. Not perfect, but once again, it's a 15 footer. Turns on a dime - very easy to control. When you have the rudder down, it's straight as an arrow.

Speed: I average 3.3 knots when casually paddling in calm water, she averages 2.8. When bringing it up to a sprint, I average around 4.8.
Definitely not as fast as our other kayak (Necky Looksha 17) but still cuts through the water much better than the other kayaks we tried first (Necky Eliza and Eskia).

All in all, a solid kayak for the kayaker on the small-intermediate size. You definitely feel the control with it - one of our advanced friends was having a field day with it in the wind chop on Lake Union.

09-04-2001

Have used this and a kayook for years. Great for short over night and long road trips on top of the pick up. Boat preforms well for its length.

11-22-1999
Submitted by: Clark BowlenSend Email

The roto-molded Tournak is lively. It has a nice balance of manoueverability, tracking, and hull speed. It is enormously stable. It is a great first boat, particularly for a smaller person. I bought mine for river touring. It was the perfect kayak for a post-hurricane weeklong trip on the Allagash. Even loaded with gear, it was playful enough to do whitewater moves on the river, yet it tracked well on the big lakes. It doesn't need a rudder. Alas, I think Necky has taken it out of production.

08-23-1999
Submitted by: Lou R.Send Email

The Tornak is a low volume 15 1/2 foot boat in fiberglass. The round chined hull has great acceleration and good primary and secondary stability. It has good maneuverability due to moderate rocker. In fiberglass it is very light (around 45 lbs. or slightly less) and easy to handle off the water. It tracks well without a rudder. When cross wind and current conditions warrant, the use of the rudder trims things out well.

The cockpit is a little constraining and I may remove the thigh braces to give me more leg motion. My boat is several years old and has no seat as such, only a foam pad and a backband. The newer boats have a thermoplastic seat which has to be a great improvement.

I recommend that any smaller person looking for a light weight kayak test paddle a Tornak. (I don't know where you will be able to do this, however, if other dealers have the same policy as Canoesport, our Houston Necky dealer. They will not let anyone test any of their boats even if you put a significant amount of money down and/or have purchased several thousand dollars worth of boats from them over the years.)

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!

Space Trailers :