Product Reviews > Accessories > Grey Owl Canoe Paddle 54 inch Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Grey Owl Canoe Paddle 54 inch

Rated: 7.6/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

Research Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Paddles
View Paddles in Buyers' Guide

06-13-2006

I have had a Grey Owl Sugar Island paddle for about 6 years. It has been thru calm water and whitewater extensively. A few years ago after a close encounter with a rock wall on the Smith River I has to do some epoxy-fiberglass repair to the blade along with the routine yearly sand and varnish. I never go on a canoe trip without it, and my canoe class students usually grab it to use when I'm not looking. I just bought another, well worth the cost, and its pretty too.

04-23-2003

Gray Owl Freestyle paddles - I currently own two of these paddles - one is walnut and the other is spruce. The finish on both of these paddles is inferior with cracking and bubbling. I would not purchase another Gray Owl paddle. I rate these as 1

05-16-2000
Submitted by: PMH

I've got a Grey Owl Hammerhead, had it for about 2 years. I like it a lot, but have relegated it to a spare. Compared to my Werner Nantahala, it feels a bit numb and has higher flutter, and poorer underwater recovery. I paddle OC1 in whitewater, and the paddle's Dynel edge (around the blade) has cracked and deteriorated at a corner through to the wood. Granted, it has seen pretty high usage in whitewater (II-III). However, the unfinished, modified T-grip is the best I have ever used. It is a beauty to look at, but is just not precise and durable enough for my needs. Hence, the 7.

04-27-2000

I have a 56" model and it is sweet, tough, reliable, and great to eyeball! The unfinished handle is highly recommended...and if you can find one with the walnut blade buy it because they are now making them with spruce blades and charging $10 more.

08-16-1999
Submitted by: Chris & ChrisSend Email

At first I thought all wooden paddles (store bought) were the same and you only were paying for fancy wood. Bought a Grey Owl canoe paddle and found it to be almost perfect. Slices with no flutter or drag during in water recoveries, great grip and balance. But I am now afraid of rocks and I don"t think they will make a paddle out of Royalex(R) Spend the money and be thankful.

Bending Branches: