Product Reviews > Kayaks > Hobie Cat Company > Odyssey Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Odyssey Kayak by Hobie Cat Company

Rated: 8.56/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

Odyssey Kayak by Hobie Cat Company

Length: 14' 0" - Width: 33.00" - Starting at: $1349.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Hobie Cat Company Logo

08-09-2004
Submitted by: PJDSend Email

I purchased this kayak about five years ago and I have used it quite extensively in all types of conditions with the exception of whitewater rapids. Due to its size it is quite stable however this takes away speed and manueverability. This kayak does most things well just not great for any one type of paddling. In windy conditions the boat does not track straight and you will spend a lot of time correcting it. It is is fun in small surf and can catch waves with ease yet in larger surf the boat will nosedive into the wave especially with two people in it. All around a good boat for beginners and people who like to paddle in all types of water/conditions.

07-14-2003

Pros: Tracking excellent, speed for its width/length is good (very good if two people paddling), stability good, glide good, seating comfort excellent, hatches don't leak to any significant degree, can fit 2 piece 230 cm paddles and life vests into main hatch, can float in very shallow (~6-8 in?) water with 225 lb load, turning OK for length.

Cons: water accumulates in footrests (not uncommon for this type footrest), No tank well (but does have decent bungee and eye pads at stern)

I fish solo and take my kids out for crabbing, fishing, wildlife viewing and fun. We go on slow rivers (class II rapids at most), lakes, ponds, and bays/estuaries. This boat fits those needs best. For long solo paddles the hobie seat broke down on me (I'm 6'2" with a long torso) but the Ocean Kayak taller seat works better in the middle seat. Hobie seats are more comfy for the bow/stern seats...just experiment. We bought this boat because of the comfortable seating ergonomics and are happy with that. Mama sat in one and said this is the one so that was that. I agreed that it was the most comfortable seating but wondered about other features. After using it and trying other boats I understand the trade-offs and am not disappointed. We were looking at the WS Pairadise but there was no comparison in seating comfort and speed. In fact, the longer I have it and the more other boats I try, the more glad I am that I bought the Odyssey. For solo fishing, I like the big open spaces front and back rather than trying to access hatches with multiple straps or crawl aroung on the boat to get at them. I can keep my ice chest, 8# mushroom anchor, fishing rod, and paddle easily accessible. I used to want a Widerness Ride or Cobra Fish and Dive for solo fishing but have decided that the extra speed of this boat and its abundant open space make it just as good. For tandem use it works great, although I'm not sure about two larger adults in it. I use a 6" foam pool floatie hollow noodle piece sliced lengthwise and velcroed in between my legs as a rod holder so the fly rod sticks out straight ahead and lays across the bow and not upward to tangle in tree limbs. I use paddle strap clips on the side eye pads to hold the paddle when I get out and wade or anchor out. When going tandem, I use a milk crate at the the stern to carry gear...not ideal but it works fine.

I liked this boat so much I bought two. For solo touring or just lake/ocean paddling, I would go with a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 16 for its wonderful speed and tracking but it doesn't have as much stability or places to put stuff outside of the hatches. For all around use as described I think the Hobie is a great choice. We don't camp from it and it might not work well for that, I have not tried to stash camping gear thru the 8 inch hatch. For solo fishing only, I might go with the Fish and Dive for its flat open storage and stability. These boats are pretty heavy but don't pose a problem for me to move around with wheels (I'm 200 lbs and lift weights). If I had to cartop them it would be tough alone but I just lift one end and slide them both into the bed of my pickup and strap in through stern straps and scupper holes. Sometimes I even lauch from a boat ramp by sliding them out into water. I definitely prefer the graduated molded in footrests over the foot pedals like the Wilderness boats have, even if they are wet. Being able to move to diffrent positions helps leg comfort.

Overall this boat is the best I've found for its multiple uses and no boat can be perfect for everything so I gave it a 9. It will definitely run circles around the OK Malibu II or other similar tandems for speed but probably isn't quite as stable. You can't sit in it and hang your feet over the side because of the cockpit shape. I've only turned mine over once in a rapid where I should have just gotten out and walked it through. Hope this helps...

05-02-2003

I have a Hobie Odyssey, 14ft, tandem boat and I love it. It has excellent stability, good tracking, and generally good speed for a relatively heavy boat. Its a great weekender with plenty of room for gear, and its a good buy for the retail price. Before getting it, I heard it could be paddled solo, but only if you are big enough or determined enough, to cartop it by yourself. At 76 lbs. it could be difficult for a small paddler (I'am "5'4" 135lbs.) going solo. The Aegean, is Ocean Kayak's equivalent to this one and is also worth taking a look at. If you are looking for a mid-size (not too big) tandem kayak then this is definitely worth it. Excellent beginner to intermediate tandem boat.

07-31-2001
Submitted by: PDADSend Email

I enjoy my odyssey. Handles well solo or tandem. Can carry 3 but this bogs it down. Takes water through storage when tipped. Scuppers don't drain well, but what the hell, it's a kayak. I added padded handles balanced and centered either side to make it possible to carry from the side, or flip over head. Works well. Need ideas on how to convert for coastal fishing? Pole holder, no reachable storage when solo? Overall happy with purchase but expect maybe too much from Hobie. I want it to do it all.

05-04-2001
Submitted by: REHSend Email

If you want a tandem kayak of high quality that really does the job this is it. I am totally satisfied in every respect.

02-27-2001

I wanted a tandem/solo sit-on-top and purchased my Hobie Odyssey about a month ago after comparing several different tandems. Besides its sleek, low profile design, what sold me on the Odyssey was its quality construction, ease of paddling, and maneuverability. My nine year old daughter and I have taken it out several times now and because of the current winter ocean conditions here in Hawaii, its been a good test of what we and this boat can handle. Despite choppy seas and windy conditions, the Odyssey has been very stable, provides excellent tracking, and has good speed and glide. I'm currently working to outfit my Odyssey for fishing and it has more than ample in-hull and on-deck storage for that. Improvements? If I were design king at Hobie, I'd probably try to find a way to relocate some scupper holes so that the foothold areas would drain better. Also, when paddling solo, it would be nice to have access to the center storage hatch instead of sitting on it. At 14' long, 33" wide, and 70+ lbs, this is not a boat easily manhandled alone by any stretch, but as they say there are tradeoffs to any kayak out there. Overall, I'm very pleased with the Hobie Odyssey and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a multi-purpose, multi-place sit-on-top kayak.

01-22-2001
Submitted by: lanhamSend Email

My HB Odyssey has been very enjoyable. It is easy to paddle, and very ergonomic having a great seat and nice footholds with varying distance(helps if your knees become stiff if positioned statically over time). It is a pain for one person to get on a vehicle(i throw mine on my truck's camper shell). Lots of storage, I can put my kooler in the extra seat as I more often take mine out solo. I want to get another single one, but am considering an orthodox kayak(sit inside). Not super fast, but great for cruising and enjoying nature.

11-13-2000

I tried out several tandems and decided on the odyssey. It seems to be very fast compared to similar sized kayaks. It also handled better in the wind than longer tandems like the Cabo. However it does seem to be a bit tippy in surf, and it is very heavy and hard to cartop, the nice sleek surface is also murder to hang onto when it is wet and you need to climb back in, when in deep water or man handle it on a roof rack. A nice boat for mild swells and waves. They advertise that there is room for a passenger...no way.

08-09-1999
Submitted by: TedSend Email

This is a great double sit on top that can be easily used solo. Nice sleek look. Very stable and easy paddling, even when used solo. Extremly easy entry and exit. Ample in-hull storage, although I even added a third hatch. Even has two molded cup holders. I highly recommend this boat if you are looking for a double/solo sit on top. The only minus is that it is a little heavy lifting for one person.

Rendezvous River Sports