Product Reviews > Kayaks > Point 65 N > XP 18 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for XP 18 Kayak by Point 65 N

09-05-2014

I will start off by saying I love this boat! My boat is a hybrid of an amazing sea kayak design with a surfski. It is fast, stable (21" wide) and very comfortable compared to Epic surfskis which are very narrow on the hips. I am 6'7 (36 waist) and I sit very comfortably in this boat. I love the fact that I can maintain balance and enjoy a very generous leg movement as I paddle.

The Swedish design is amazing, very maneuverable and picks up speed very easily. I have paddled it on Atlantic Ocean waves and it rides beautifully.

My major drawback is its rudder system. The entire thing is not very well thought of. Paddles are adjustable but in huge increments of full inches, cables are flimsy, the rudder on the tail is situated in a "water sealed haul" capped with a twist cap.the cap leaks water and so does the rudder entry hole. So when you paddle water rises into that little hatch, the sad thing is that the water leaks from the hatch into your back sealed compartment which means it is not really a dry safe storage unit. The rougher the water the worse it gets.

All and all, great surfski for an hour two hour paddle, after that you might want to stop and check your rear hatch to see how much water you picked up. As a surfski, amazing, as a long trip several day kayak, not recommended! I would say that the xp18 kayak version comes with a much more advanced rudder so if you are in the market for a true expedition sea kayak, check the xp18, I promise you will not be disappointed.