Product Reviews > Kayaks > Dagger > Bayou II Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Bayou II Kayak by Dagger

Rated: 8.46/10 Based On: 13 Reviews

07-12-2004
Submitted by: Kevin H.Send Email

I purchased the bayou II Because My canoe was too Heavy and my son is 9 and he is all the help that I have. I use it to cruise the Rivers quite a bit. IT's Light has good Tracking and does a fine job on the river with Light Rapids. My son and I really enjoy the Yak and it has enough room for Day trip Provisions and then some. IT's a great Family yak and I really enjoy the Bonding time with my son.

02-17-2003
Submitted by: Bill E.Send Email

I've had two Bayou IIs for a little over a year now. I bought two so I could take my wife and two sons, or my dogs. I am overall pleased with the performance of the kayaks, yet it would be nice if the gunwales were a little higher so I could get my knees comfortably underneath them. This would also eliminate unneccessary water from the front paddler (although I think the kids do that on purpose). They aren't very fast, but they aren't really meant to be. Very relaxing kayaks. Tracking is good if skills are adequate. If you get tired and lazy, they don't always go exactly where you want them. Overall, they are excellent family boats, but if you are looking for choppy water and small rapids, it would be advised to look elsewhere.

11-09-2002
Submitted by: FGHSend Email

I have owned a Dagger Bayou II for 3 years now and have taken it out on 40 trips or more, primarily with my son and daughter. I always looked upon it as a tandem boat for the express purpose of being able to share safe water experiences with my children. The wide beam provides the stability necessary to provide confidence in the boat by young paddlers. I have only taken it out once as a single paddler and found it more difficult to control due to the bow riding higher out of the water. With two paddlers we have paddled flatwater, rivers out of their banks, and up to some class II water. I would not recommend anything over class II without a spray skirt. The boat does not have a rudder or skeg but I have found it tracks well with two paddlers working together. We have taken trips up to 6 hours long and 14 miles and found the seats to be comfortable. The space available behind the rear seat and underneat the front cowl has been adequate for day trips, but would be inadequate for overnight trips. The poly construction of the boat, yes a bit heavy for one person to carry, has been shown it be rugged. Its relatively short length at under 14 feet has made it easy enough to store in my garage. All in all this kayak has been perfect for providing what I hoped in a first boat to use with children. For sole paddling I have another boat.

03-21-2002

What a boat! I prefer sitting in the back when soloing and traking seems better from there. I bought the tandem for myself really and the reason is because after alot of research this boat has proven to carry what I need. All the essential(spare paddle etc) a sleeping bag, a tent, a cooler and in my case a dog. That's it in a nutshell. It tracks very well and it's fast enough for me. If speed is your main concern, this may not be the yak for ewe! what a great camping vessel.

09-12-2001

I am a beginning kayaker though I have white water rafted (class III) for over 10 yrs. I recently did a no no, bought a Dagger BayouII without trying it first. (I know,I know) I bought what the local dealer had left at this late date. On our first trip, went less than 1/2 mile when grazed an upstream snag and broached, kayak ended up uoside down pinned under the snag. Freed the boat after 40 min. struggle. Continuing, we had to cross about 1 1/2mi. of lake with a following sea, swells about 10-12" with 6" chop on top. Boat did not track well and each time a swell passed, at about 20 degrees off the stern, it put a quart or so of water over the gunwales. I thoought we were going to sink in sight of our take out. Needless to say, the boat went back to the dealer the next day, and I am now looking seriously at a Keowee III. If it is anything like a Keowee II we borrowed to try, it will be a much better boat. That Bayou II is a DANGEROUS BOAT in anything but calm water.

05-01-2001
Submitted by: DLSend Email

I am new to kayaking. My family and I really enjoy our new kayak. We put in on a class 1 river. It is very easy to manuver and easily to maintain speed. It doesn't track perfect but I thought it was fine. My child, wife, and I all floated once (310 lbs.). My child is 85 lbs.It was still easy to control but a bit cramped. Very comfortable with two adults. Get one!!

04-16-2001

I have owned this kayak for two years and I have yet to find a kayak of this size that I like better. I have used it both in tandem and solo. Unlike some, I prefer sitting in the back seat when I paddle solo. I seems to me to track without the fish tailing that I get otherwise. I recently purchased a Dagger Zydeco for single use as I don't like the huffing and puffing that go with carrying the Bayou II too far(it is 65 lbs.), but I did so only due to the ease of use when used singly. We have had the Bayou II on rivers at flood stage, on low water rivers (shallow draft makes this possible) and on lakes in all kinds of weather with VERY rough water. All without the slightest difficulty except for the use of the spray skirt. Would I buy this kayak again? Absolutely! Buy it and you will like it unless you are into Class III rapids or greater.

01-08-2001
Submitted by: JKFSend Email

Great boat for lakes and slow rapids. It also doubles as a great fishing boat because the fish swim right up to you! Easy to paddle both tandem or solo. This was our first kayak and we will miss it as we have to sell it because we're moving.

09-11-2000
Submitted by: JenSend Email

I did a lot of research before selecting the Bayou II, and it paid off: I love this boat. It may be wide and a bit slow, but it is stable and tracks well. Getting used to paddling in tandem has been the most trying part, but after the forth time in the boat, we had it down. Great for day trips, but difficult to pack for an overnight camp, you can do it, but you gotta pack wisely. Buy it, you'll love it.

07-30-2000

My wife has always had a fear of small boats, so when I mentioned buying a kayak... well at first she said "no way", but after some talking she agreed to try. We have a 2 year old, so it had to be tandem for future paddling with him, not to long, and very stable. We decided on the bayou 11. Well we just got back from a weeks vacation up in northern ontario,and we took the bayou 11. She loved the boat and paddled it everyday. She couldn`t get over how stable the boat was. The seats are comfortable and it tracks very well. If your looking for a solid, stable boat for short tours, or just paddling around, then I would recommend the bayou 11. Its not fast, but it does what its built for.

04-21-2000
Submitted by: DougSend Email

A terrific boat. I've spent countless enjoyable hours on lakes and rivers since purchasing this kayak last spring. I would agree with the other reviewers that while the 30" beam makes the Bayou II very stable, it does also make the boat slower than less beamier kayaks. But, speaking as a Dad with three small kids, the Bayou II has proved to be a superb vehicle to introduce them (one at a time, of course) to adventures on the water. For paddling with kids, the stability of this large-beamed kayak compensates the lack of speed.

02-08-2000
Submitted by: TigSend Email

This is a very good recreational sit-in kayak for beginner and intermediate paddlers. Itís fairly stable and tracks well. The width at the front prevents it from going very fast though. Thereís a decent amount of space for day trips. I have taken my wife or one of the kidís saltwater bay fishing in it and it provided a fun, comfortable and useful platform. This yak is fairly light for itís size, yet built for durability. The double spray skirt from Dagger is highly recommended for rougher seas.

I like how the front seat adjusts back to mid-cockpit for solo paddling. In this position you will be lacking the foot rests and may opt to install an extra set later. Thereís still plenty of room in the back seat for smaller kids or a dog to ride in. Most tandems donít work as well as this one when soloed.

As a tandem, itís only as good as the paddlers who are using it (like most tandems). Sitting closely requires synchronization between paddlers to prevent excess paddle collisions (the rear paddler must follow the frontís lead). If the front paddler is short, you can move the seat forward to prevent this. The only problem with that is that the back of the front seat has the integrated foot rests for the rear paddler, which may become out of reach.

08-05-1999
Submitted by: MikeSend Email

A tandem, open cockpit kayak with an adjustable front seat for solo paddling. Excellent boat for flat or running water up to class III. Good size for for one paddler and lots of gear. Great for two people on day trips. Not quite large enough for two paddlers and their camping gear. Handles extremely well in the water. Light enough for one person to portage (65 lbs). I highly recommend this boat for couples.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!

Piragis Northwoods: