Product Reviews > Accessories > Thule 835 Hull-a-Port Pro Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Thule 835 Hull-a-Port Pro

Research Roof Racks and Trailers in the Buyers' Guide!
Roof Racks and Trailers
View Roof Racks and Trailers in Buyers' Guide

07-17-2014

I use the 835 Pro for putting my Eddyline Fathom on the roof of my car. Overall, it's a nice J Rack setup, and it does fold down when not in use reducing the noise. Now, depending on the crossbars you use and your roof line, getting the kayak to sit properly can be a challenge, but that goes for any rack.

My Thule Aero Blade bars and the car's roof line make getting any rack, including the 835 Pro, perfectly lined up a challenge. Strapping a boat that is not very deep in the stern, can be tricky. The straps go around the top of the J rack like most J racks, but, are required to wrap around the end of the base the boat sits on, actually keeping the strap from contacting the boat on the base of the rack, leaving the boat to move. Look at the picture on the box or the Thule site to see what I'm talking about. I ended up getting another set of straps so that I could wrap another strap around the boat and work it down and around the base of the J rack to snug in the stern of my boat, and give extra security up front.

Once on and adjusted, the boat won't go anywhere. The rack comes with two straps and a bow and stern tie down. I added two more straps to keep the boat still, and for more stability considering the short span between racks my car provides. It's a nice rack, but remember, some boats might not fit as well as others.