Product Reviews > Kayaks > Dagger > Baja Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Baja Kayak by Dagger

Rated: 8.88/10 Based On: 16 Reviews

06-12-2012
Submitted by: bwSend Email

Great boat. I have owned 11 years now. and have paddled many others. I had 9 boats at one time and this was the boat I always took out for overnite trips and weeklong trips. this became my boat of choice when paddling to south bass island on lake erie for overnite stays. it does everything well.

I have never had a single issue with bad leaks or problems with the internal rudder system. This boat tracks easy when loaded. and carries heavy loads with ease. When packed right. a weeklong trip is about the max. unless you have a resupply point along the way. This boat looks as good as the first day I brought it home. But I cannot say the same for the bottom. it has a lot of wear.

I liked this boat so well when first bought I purchased another one 2 months later. Please remember this is a small framed person kayak with a load limit of 265lbs. I am 5'9" 168lbs and this boat fits like a glove. and foot room is best without shoes. If you have a chance to own this boat. Don't pass it up.

05-24-2010
Submitted by: Mark McMullenSend Email

I'm 34 & have been paddling 15 of them. I have owned all dagger boats because all other boats I tried did not compare. 3 months ago I bought 2 dagger bajas. His & hers. I regret it cause my girl outruns me in sprints. I am very impressed with these boats. We paddled the Guadalupe @ 1000 cfs & other than a little water getting in the compartments they handled great in the heavy rapids. I am 6ft 200lbs & fit comfortably. My 18ft woodstrip kayak does not keep up with the speed of these boats. Hope this rambling review helps you if you are undecided on the purchase of a baja.

07-30-2007

GOOD: I've been having a great time with my Baja on lakes and rivers. It has good speed and stability and the integral rudder is slick and turns well. The low profile allows me to ignore the wind and the compartments are of good size. I've heard some say that it's cramped, but I'm 6' 195# and find it comfortable and roomy.

BAD: The only reason I don't give it a 10 is the weight. It is hard to manage alone out of the water, but it's durable so you decide.

UGLY: n/a

Fun boat - worth more then I paid.

03-14-2006
Submitted by: jeffSend Email

I owned a Baja in 2002-3, enjoyed it and moved up to longer lighter boats--I paddled it again in Feb 2006. I liked the boat B4 selling it and still like it 1. It tracks well and has decent speed for its length. 2. It has good primary & secondary stability 3. It has a nice low cockpit for easy Eskimo rolling. 4. It turns quickly with the rudder and even faster leaned. 5. The plastic construction gives you an "I don't care what I go over" attitude.

But 1. the rudder won't maintain itself--it requires some kind of lube. Also, one of the rudder fittings did snag my pants. 2. it's plastic construction makes it heavy & difficult for lone paddlers to cartop. 3. The seatback can fold forward and impede rescues.

Because it's most important qualities make it a great paddle, I give it a 9.

01-05-2005

I commented earlier after just buying my kayak. I now have a few summers under my belt, and must say I still love my Baja. I am not adventurous in any way, so calm waters are all I've seen, but enjoyed every minute. It is comfortable, stable and has taught a few people the joys of the sport. I have enjoyed trying a few other yaks with wider cockpits, but since I am a little isolated, I stick with what I know and love.

07-29-2003

Iím actually on a quest to replace this kayak. But, having acquired a smaller, more nimble boat (Sonoma 13.5), I have new appreciation for the Baja. The Baja is incredibly stable for 23 inches wide. Even though Iíve tired of loading/transporting the 55+ lbs of poly boat for frequent, short outings, itís still the one I take when I really want to stay dry. With the rudder, paddling is pretty relaxed in moderate lake chop/swells. And, it handles well in nasty 2-3 foot water, too. Speed could be better. In three seasons, the seat and fit of the Baja have never been right for me. If I was going to keep it, Iíd get a different seat, and would add thigh braces, which, I think, some Bajas had as standard equipment. But, the problem that canít be solved is the cramped foot room. Iím 5í 9Ē male, 140 lbs., size 9.5 shoes.

04-28-2003

This is a good boat, much more stable then similar ones that were demoed. The integeral rudder is capable of impresive tight turns when combined with proper paddling technique. The rudder was the whole reason I chose this boat. The boat had to be capable of a long trip, yet comfortable and manuverable on a medium sized river. The river is shallow in areas with some small rapids here and there so the flush rudder was the only way to go. Ihave also had the boat on Lake superior big waves are a blast. I look forward ocean use off the coast of Maine. As this boat was discountinued in 2001 it made it hard to find the color I wanted. A few may still be found new if you look hard. The one complaint I did have was a minimum amount of leakage with the lake Superior trip, which is the reason it only scores 8/10.

09-04-2002

This is my first ever kayak- and my first summer using it, and I must say it has provided hours of happy paddling! I don't know all the technical stuff yet, but I can paddle it comfortably, and more importantly I can get on top my Ford Escape alone! It has allowed me to see more of the shores of northern Lake Michigan then ever before.

07-16-2001

I spend most of my time kayaking on the Missippi River just north of St. Louis. The river here covers all conditions, floods, big swells, heavy current, and glass calm. The baja fits my 5'10'',170lb, like a glove. With a good paddle, the baja is fast and tracks well,handling rough water is a breeze. I prefer longer and lighter boats for long trips, but nothing compares to plastic for bashing into logs and landing on rocky shores. I haven't had any hatch leakage problems, but have broken a few rudder release pins. No big deal. Dagger has always sent replacements very quickly and at no charge. There is a rudder upgrade for older baja's, I been quoted about $100 from Dagger, I am planning to upgrade. I would highly recommend the Baja.

07-10-2001
Submitted by: LeeG

I like the Baja a lot, the number rating is in the middle because it doesn't mean anything without knowing the paddlers preferences. It's an excellent kayak for classes, it likes to sit flat to the water with just enough arch to lean. The low back deck is great for learning rescues, the windage is low overall. The displacement is in the medium range so it's not too big or long for 120lb paddlers. The rubber rear hatch can't handle too much weight without bending in a LOT so I'd be careful if the person was in the higher weight range and intended rough water use/rescues. The integral rudder is a good idea and works but requires some care and knowledge of its construction so it continues to work, the release handle might get used as a grab handle(gone) or the catch in the mechanism might break and require a specific replacement part. It doesn't have pronounced thigh braces but for most folks that's not noticable. If there were aftermarket braces I'd get them installed should one want to roll or enter rough water.

12-11-2000

I'm 6' 175 lb. and like a tight fitting responsive boat. I have paddled the Baja on the Gulf of Mexico and in six foot sweels on Lake Michigan. The boat is easy to roll, fun to surf, will carry a weeks worth of light weight camping gear, is fast and easy to paddle. Only negative is poor rudder control in strong cross winds where you must rely on good paddling technique to keep a proper course.

10-12-2000
Submitted by: AnnSend Email

This is my first kayak. I've paddled many Daggers, Perceptions and even Eddyline- and the Baja was a real stand out. I'm a petite female- but find the 53 lbs and 15 foot 6" easy relatively easy to handle on my own. The Baja tracks well, is not prone to funkiness in the wind and handles a chop like a much larger boat. And the integral rudder rocks. I ordered a Baja 2 weeks ago. My only gripes are small hatchcovers and having to take whatever color I get. Paddle on.

06-13-2000
Submitted by: ritchieSend Email

I've tried three touring boats so don't have too much for comparison but this Baja is a beauty. The rudder system is easy to engage and disengage and works so well it's like cheating. Paddling without the rudder is easy also. The boat tracks very well, my feet did not get numb or fall asleep all day paddling. It did not feel too heavy to carry a short distance. Other similar boats felt clumsy to carry. I did not load the boat down very much but had day gear in a dry bag. It handled well in chop, small (3' waves), and against the wind. I really really liked this boat.

01-09-2000
Submitted by: KenSend Email

Nice boat for the small to mid-sized paddler, but the hatches leak real bad on the one I have.

09-08-1999
Submitted by: MichaelSend Email

I didn't want to wait 2 months for a better color. So that's my only complaint, this red/yellow is butt ugly. It's my first yak and it's a great boat. Very stable, enough so that is was comfortably paddling in about a hour. I've never dumped it, on accident at least. I'm pleased with the speed I get out of it and it tracks very nicely even out on Lake Michigan. I beat the shit out of it and it taken all I dish out, with the exception of a rudder pin that broke when running one of the steel dams out here. Dagger was very prompt at sending a replacement for free. I use it for day use, haven't tried to load it with camping gear. Where the hell would I go, Gary Indiana?

08-03-1999
Submitted by: NatSend Email

Nice touring boat with good stability. Let me know what you think.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports