Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Malibu Two Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Malibu Two Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Rated: 9.17/10 Based On: 36 Reviews

Malibu Two Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Length: 12' 0" - Width: 34.00" - Starting at: $649.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Ocean Kayak Logo

09-03-2014
Submitted by: MladenSend Email

I bought Ocean kayak Malibu 2 in Canberra for twelve years ago, using it in Australia and in Croatian Adria with my family. Excellent boat I recommend to everybody, especially for family use.
The best of the best!

08-21-2014
Submitted by: PaulakwSend Email

We recently took two of these to our River Park and had such a great time Enjoyed the River with Flat waters kayaking, These would be Great for fishing if we Had Straps to hold the poles as we did have a few tip overs but only because one or the other Leaned to far over - lol! They served the purpose and the kids enjoyed the ride to see the River and enjoy the Trip. There's islands close by for exploring and the kayaks are an easy way to get there

07-27-2014
Submitted by: SGDSend Email

We are now shopping for our second Ocean Kayak Malibu Two. The first one, bought in 1994 is still going strong after 20 years of use in the Florida Keys - read lots of shallow water and rock bottoms, not sand. Also handles well for one person and in small chop. It started leaking a few months ago but we discovered that it only needed new scupper plugs - after 20 years, not surprising. Definitely big enough for my 200 lb 6' husband and me plus a small cooler. Agree with others that MUST have backrests. We have no problems carrying on top of our small SUV. Now we just want another one to enjoy with family and guests.

07-12-2014

I just rented one of these beauties to go down a local river. Had a TON of fun on this boat, tracked well, maneuvered well and room to move around. We fit myself and a friend and her 6 year old.

Only reason I didn't give a full 10 is because the place we rented from sealed the dry storage hatches for safety(?) and with 3 of us plus kid stuffs...I was quite cramped in the back holding it all and I am almost 6' tall. Other then that, was a great trip!

08-07-2013

Either setup as a single, or two person this boat has performed excellently out in Boston harbor. You definitely need to use a kayak seat/backrest setup if you want to be out for more than a 1/2 hour or so at a time, but just for playing around on the beach and in the surf it's great.

08-01-2013
Submitted by: mtnhikerSend Email

We really like this boat. We bought (very) cheap kayaks last summer, which got us into the sport. I wanted a more versatile kayak that I could take in the ocean bays in RI & MA. My old kayak didn't have any sort of keel, so it couldn't handle waves (even small ones on a calm day on an ocean cove).

This kayak can handle quite a bit. We are a family of 4, two kids aged 3 and 6. All 4 of us were able to ride in the Malibu 2 for an ocean paddle in a cove/bay. We bought scupper plugs, which help prevent water from coming into the boat. I saw other reviewers saying this boat cannot handle the advertised weight, which isn't true. You just need scupper plugs to keep the water out. Our family weighs 380# all together, and while the boat was a bear for one person to paddle with this much weight, it handled fine. I wouldn't want to spend the entire day in this kayak with the 4 of us, but it was fine for a short trip. We went in a bay in Cape Cod in it. We kayaked to a private beach.

I like sit-on-tops because of the ease getting in and out, and no fears about tipping. It's also easy to mount to a car, because I thread the winch straps through the scupper holes. There's no way it can fall off the car. I cannot cartop any boat alone (I'm 5'2" and weigh 100#), so that's a non-issue for me. I like the fact that this kayak has attached handles on the side (my old boat just had molded-in handles, which were impossible to grasp when flipping the boat over). My husband and I portaged the boat just fine. We live in New England, so this is a summer sport for us, but I'm considering getting a wet suit so I can extend my kayak season.

If you're looking for a versatile family kayak, look no further. This boat is all a good value for the $, in my opinion. It would be nice if it had a dry hatch, but for the $ you can't expect that option. I may add one to this boat (you can add up to 3 small dry hatches) next season so that I have a dry spot for a smartphone & keys. I have a 22" x 16" dry bag for day items. I'd need a larger one for an overnight trip. The boat would also be perfect for 1 person plus gear for an overnight trip too.

I paddled this alone in the center seat, and it handled nicely in a cove. My husband tried to take it in Buzzard's Bay (large ocean bay) on an 8 mile paddle, and had to turn around because of the wind/rough water. It's not a touring sea kayak, but a great all-around fun family boat.

07-14-2013

OK for starters I rented this kayak with no seat. If it had a seat with a back I may have reviewed higher. But it was very uncomfortable to have no back support. That is main bad point. For most part I really enjoyed the fact that it can go either solo or tandem. I was able to get it moving pretty well solo and it wasn't bad with tracking. My daughter enjoyed riding on it with me as well. I would definitely recommend as a good first kayak or summer fun maker... Just get a seat for it

09-26-2011

The Malibu Two tracks better than my other kayaks (due to the long keel). We enjoy using this tandem SOT on Barnegat Bay in NJ.

07-24-2011
Submitted by: BethSend Email

I needed a stable, large (but not heavy) kayak that could accommodate me, a cooler, & two dogs for flatwater recreational paddling. This kayak fits the bill in every sense. I love this kayak -- I can't wait to take it into the surf!

09-11-2009
Submitted by: epsSend Email

I love this as an obx wave riding vehicle, single or tandem with my sons. Paddle like crazy while you get lifted from behind, the lean way back when you catch the offshore swells or breakers in; turn around and have fun driving straight into the surf on the way back out for more. I've rented and need to buy one now - any good deals out there?

01-29-2009

Update:
I finally used the Malibu 2 tandem for the first time. Ocean Kayak's weight capacity is way way off! Our combined weight was 325#. That weight put the boat way down in the water, it was hard to paddle, and it took away most of the stability. I still like the kayak, but the weight capacity should be lowered to no more then about 250#. You could go a little more, but you're going to have an awful slow ride!

12-26-2008
Submitted by: RandySend Email

I seldom paddle more then a 1/2 mile or so out and back around Corpus Christi, TX fishing. It is a very stable boat. Speed? I don't know, I have never raced anyone to go fishing. I have only used it solo, but find you can do just as well in the rear seat as the middle seat for this purpose. I love kayaking. I have 7 kayaks, thinking about renting later on. I like the Malibu2 so well that 3 of those 7 Kayaks are Malibu2's.

10-18-2007

Good entry kayak, but I found moving it around difficult due to the kayak being so wide. In addition, I also found it not very fishing friendly. No place to put fishing rod holders very easily.

On the plus side, it is stable as it can be, and my kids enjoyed it very much, hanging off the edge and being able to go in the water and climb back in with ease. I originally purchased the kayak for the safety aspect, as I wanted something stable for them to take out by themselves and didn't want to worry about them getting back in should it tip. For that purpose, I could not have made a better choice.

07-03-2007
Submitted by: the wizardSend Email

Out on Lake Pleasant here in Arizona, the Malibu Two was fantastic. It was mostly calm water with occasional swells from motor boats. I sat in the middle position with the basic Ocean Kayak seat,scupper stoppers and Seasense 96" paddles.
I moved quickly through the water and felt very stable throughout the whole trip. I brought my knapsack along and nothing got wet. Saw wild burros and a Great Blue Heron... Life is Good!

12-11-2005
Submitted by: gareth crossSend Email

Live in UK and wanted a boat to fish from and do some coastal touring with single and double. Very stable boat, not that fast as quite wide. Is excellent as single or double and is one of the only boats on the market that has this versatility. Even saw one (addled as a double) doing a 19 mile white water canoe race (I was in a 'normal' kayak)! Surprisingly good in the surf once you've learn't to stern rudder way off the back. Have end over end looped it once in big surf :-) All in all a great boat and much better in the water than you'd think when you look at it on dry land.

09-16-2005

I purchased this boat for about $350 at local big-box sporting goods store, mostly because of the price. I had been looking for a single SOT, but the price on this boat was too good to pass up. It came with a Pelican backrest which looked cheap at first, but actually works very well. This boat is heavy. I am 53 years old, 6', about 220 lbs, and it's a chore to try to cartop this thing by myself. Once you get it to the water, however, it's a lot of fun.

Solo paddling: The center seat position is the most comfortable for me. This leaves lots of room for gear if you need to carry it. You can lie down on it, you can stand up on it, you can sit sideways with your feet over the side if you want to. It tracks well on slow sounds and creeks. Moderate wind will affect your ability to keep it pointed where you want it to go. It is reasonably quick if you work hard. It is a bit tough to surf because it's so big and heavy - or maybe because I don't know what I'm doing. The nose wants to point down the face of a wave, and if you let it get too far down, it sometimes throws you out over the nose of the boat. I have to lean pretty far back to keep that from happening. It is not a dry ride in the ocean, your butt's in the water most of the time. It can be almost dry on calm water. Fishing is easy, but I have to mount some rod holders, etc. to really make it work for that. Not a great solo boat, but I knew that going in. But it's actually a lot better than I thought it would be.

Tandem: Don't believe OK's weight rating. My son and I are about 420 lbs together. OK says the boat should carry up to 425 lbs. It will, but the center of the boat's awash if you do, making it difficult to paddle. If you can get going at a decent speed, and get most of the water out of the boat, it works better. If, however, my wife and I use the boat, it works much better - we're farther under that maximum weight. The center of the boat stays out of the water. She has had two hip replacements, but loves the boat. The back or middle seats are more comfortable for her because her legs are a bit lower than her hips. In the front seat, your legs point upward, this is uncomfortable for her. The OK Comfort Backrest does not give her enough support, she prefers the Pelican or a new Wilderness Systems seat we just bought. The boat works very well for small kids. I have a niece and nephew who are 8 and 10. One adult in back with the two of them in the middle and front is a blast. The kids love it, especially riding the waves on it. They don't care if you wipe out!

Recommendation: This boat works well as a solo boat that needs to carry some gear. It works well for fishing, touring, and small to moderate surf. It is very stable. It does not work well as a tandem for two large adults. It does work well as a tandem or tri-yak if only one adult is 200 lbs. It is heavy. Don't buy it unless you can try picking one up at your local dealer, make sure you can handle the weight. Overall, I am happy with the purchase.

08-18-2005
Submitted by: TommySend Email

My wife and I have paddled a Malibu Two for six years. It is extremely stable and durable. We once paddled/surfed about 10 miles downwind in an open bay before a front with winds gusting to 30mph. What a blast.

08-06-2004

Great first kayak. Tried an inflatable and took it back. The Malibu 2 is a keeper. Very stable and forgiving. Lots of leg room. Kind of heavy for solo use, but great for the family.

06-17-2004
Submitted by: EleanorSend Email

After years of surfing in singles, the experience in a Malibu 2 has to be tried to be believed! The stability is amazing - really gives you confidence. This is the most versatile boat I've ever paddled - great for swimming, fishing, everything. As stated by others, the weight is considerable, but we now have an Eckla trolley which makes transportation much easier (specially as I use it single-handed quite often).

05-03-2004

Great multipurpose boat, if you don't mind getting a bit damp. Paddles well, very stable.

05-19-2003

I had a FRENZY for a while. I have 6 year old twins and would take them one at a time out on that boat. I saw the malibu 2 and saw that I could actually fit 3 seets on it. It worked out so well for us. I also used to fish from my frenzy, but after paddling the malibu, I realized that it tracked so much better than the shorter Frenzy, and was a bit faster....not to mention it had a LOT more room! I sold the frenzy and use the malibu 2 for the kids, fishing, ocean surfing, and the basic beach day fun. I would give the boat a 10, but it is quite awkward and a bit heavy to carry any kind of distance. If the boat was 45 lbs, I would have to give it a 12 out of 10 !!!

03-17-2003

This was my first 'sit-on-top' kayak. Originally purchased it to do tandem kayaking, but never had the chance! My girlfriend wanted a sit-in so we go singles now. I gave it a 9 because this is probably the heftiest and most stable kayak out there. I have not been able to find a replacement in the stability of handling being sideswiped by ocean waves while fishing out in the Gulf of Mexico bay. It will take on any waves, and you can sleep flat on it and fall asleep all at the same time.

The pluses are the stability and expandibility to be used as a tandem, but perfectly fine as a single.

The negative is the weight and size! It is a mother load of a kayak to grab on to and transport, and at 61 LBS, although seems not too much, the mother kayak of all will make you get your knees with a back ache afterwards. For single kayaking, you can find a much better and faster kayak for that purpose. But for stability out in the big ocean, trust in Malibu II!

01-06-2003

Update of a previous review. I originally bought this boat to take my son and wife out with me paddling, but they enjoyed it so much that they now have singles. This kayak is great as a day tripping boat for large paddlers going solo. Tracks very well, once you learn to paddle efficiently, moves along quickly for such a wide beam and glides well. It turns quickly and can carry lots of gear. It rides very dry as a solo. I am 6'3" and around 230 lbs. I typically carry a large dry bag, cooler, tackle box and fishing rod and have no problems storing these items on deck. As a solo I use the front and rear seat as tankwells. With the addition of well placed eyelets and bungees you can safely store tons of gear. Of course I wouldn't buy this boat strictly for solo use, there are better OK models for that, but if you want a tandem that can be used effectively as a solo you can't go wrong with a Malibu 2.

12-11-2002
Submitted by: DaveMSend Email

We rented a Malibu II last summer on Cape Cod and had so much fun with it that we decided to buy one. We live near a large river that empties into Long Island sound and have found it to be a great way to tour the marshes and inlets.

With two adults (about 320 lbs total) it sits lower in the water than I'd like. Because it's a tandem sit-on-top, you'll also want to plan on getting wet when you go out (great in the summer--not so great in the Fall).

My 14-year old son loves to go out in it with me as does my wife.

Do yourself a favor and buy the high-back seats with it. (Your back will thank you!)

09-17-2002

Last week I bought a used Malibu II and I've had a chance to take it out a few times. I have several closed deck kayaks but I wanted a tandem that I could use to take out the kids and also to use for fishing in the ocean along the Northern California coast.

When I first saw the yak, my first thoughts were that it would be a bear to paddle. With a beam of 34 inches I knew it would be stable but I also thought it would be a slow barge. Well I was incorrect, after getting it on the water with myself, another adult, and a small child, I could not believe how fast this yak was moving. Very easy to paddle, good speed, decent glide, tracks really well and has great stability. This tandem kayak is also small enough that I can car top it by myself (but see below).

I would give it a 10 but there are couple of things that I thought were needed on this kayak hopefully Ocean Kayak will make these changes. (1) It is difficult for one person to carry or car top this kayak because the plastic is slippery and there is nothing on the sides to hold onto. I fixed this problem by attaching grab straps on the sides, which I made from tubular nylon webbing and used well nuts and stainless steel hardware to attach the straps to the sides. (2 )I wish the kayak came with at least one hatch. OK does sell a hatch kit but I've had problems finding the kit. This kayak is just too much fun, definitely a keeper.

08-21-2002

Just purchased our first sit on top, a Malibu II, and found it to be terrific! Used it in the Outer Banks for wave surfing and paddling the bays; found it to be able to handle just about anything. Would recommend getting seats for wave surfing. They offer support when you need to hang with a wave. Question... when paddling solo is it recommended to sit mid seat or rear seat. While in the Outer Banks I sat in the mid seat and had some trouble handling some waves especially close to beach. Overall the Malibu II seems like a great kayak.

05-28-2002

Awesome boat. My son and I fish out of it and it is a great platform for fishing. Tracks well and can cruise when two paddlers are working well together. Definitely get the hatches to increase your storage capacity. Would like to see the boat come with more tie-down eyelets and additional cargo straps on the stern. The boat paddles well solo.

04-12-2002

Great first boat if distance paddling is not a primary concern. Great fishing platform. Able to sit sideways with feet dangling in the water and fish. As a solo paddler, I could put a 48 quart igloo behind me to lean up against for back support and carry the adult beverages and lunch. Plenty of room for tackle boxes in front. My kids enjoyed surfing it on the Texas Gulf. Strong points are stability and capacity, weakness is speed.

12-27-2001
Submitted by: TimSend Email

This was our first kayak. I can take all three of my boys on it with me and kayak the pinebarrens of NJ easily. ( they are 8,6,4) The ocean surfing is a total rush. It is a bit much to handle carrying on your own. We got a yak board this winter to use as a surf boat and for my oldest to learn to paddle. The boat is a little slow to turn but is a fantastic multi use kayak.

11-15-2000

I really like this boat for just about every purpose. I'll give it a 9 overall, but I would give it a 10, hands down, for tandem or solo fun in the surf.

For diving: The Malibu Two was not particularly designed from the start as a dive platform but is easily tranformed into a great dive kayak for the larger diver with the addition of sufficient eyelets, bungies, and tethers for securing all your gear.

For surfing: This kayak is simply more fun than should be legal in the surf! I've had it out in 8' surf paddling tandem and a few times in 7' surf as a solo paddler. Either way it is absolutely a blast to paddle and surf! Paddling tandem, you can litterally catch every wave. Sitting solo in the rear-most seat position, you can take a sideways hit from just about any wave and recover to make several S-Turns on the face. About the only trick you need to know to surf the M2 is to never lean the boat. Stay seated upright with the kayak level in all situations and you will be surprised at what you can do with this most forgiving and easy to surf kayak!

For touring: OK, so there are a few faster boats out there for touring, but none that offer this much stability, durability, and maneuverability!

08-10-2000
Submitted by: JLSSend Email

This is our first kayak. We saw many people paddling Ocean Kayaks and decided that it looked like fun. We rented a Malibu Two to paddle the back bays and salt marshes in Cape May, NJ, and enjoyed it enough to buy one. With seat cushons/backrests, we find it very comfortable, and it's easy for inexperienced paddlers like us. We use it for observing wildlife and general sightseeing. It provides a good upper body workout if you want one, or leisurely cruising if you prefer to take it easy. The only drawback so far is that its weight, shape, and smooth surface make it difficult for smaller people like me (5'1" tall with small hands) to grasp, flip over, and lift to a cartop carrier, especially when it's wet and slippery. Too bad they don't mold in some type of hand grips. Hopefully I'll gain some upper body strength from paddling so that the lifting part will be easier. Overall, though, it's a great boat for playing on the water. We're very happy with it and would recommend it.

07-06-2000
Submitted by: Vickie

This was my first boat. It was great for the twisty overgrown Florida rivers. I never knew how slow it was until I tried to keep up with a group. I'd recommend it for people who like to paddle alone. It is a good "first" boat. I've since gone on to glass boats with are lighter and faster.

04-06-2000
Submitted by: W.S.

This is a great family or begginer yak. I've had kayaks in the past, but the sport was something new to my wife who is worried about being in water deeper than her knees. The beam makes this boat very stable and has the highest weight rating of all Ocean Kayak's boats. She loves the boat. It's very forgiving and easy to handle. It can be paddled solo, but I recomment a back brace since the center seat gives no real support. We own one with all three hatches cut out. The only problem with this is on warm days (we live in Phoenix)one must leave the threaded drain plug open to keep the hatches form unseating. This occoured one summer day. The center hatch came loose with myself and another man on the boat. before we knew there was a problem, the boat filled and almost sank beneath us. With two or more people, the center hatch is almost awash. I would recomnend leaving the plug installed here. I am however very happy with the boat and can never see parting with it.

03-25-2000

We live in Coconut Grove, a Miami neighborhood close to the water. We had an Ocean Kayak Malibu II, but it walked, along with its lock and chain, at just about the same time our house was tented for termites Ėand- our next door neighbors, renters, left for parts unknown. Hmmm... The MII was at best a fair two-paddler craft, but with a wide beam, it got a lot of its contact surface wet and wasnít fast at all. It WILL provide an excellent workout, though, especially for a solo paddler. Thereís little back support in the two main seats, virtually none in the center Ėthe kiddie or solo paddler -seat, so good seats with plenty of lower- and mid-back support is absolutely required for anything beyond 15 minutes off the beach and back. No handles are provided, ad though it only weighs 65#, itís a real hands full, awkward handle to wrestle onto a cartop carrier. I finally went out and bought two simple heavy duty brass cabinet pulls and screwed them into the Malibu II amidships to lift the thing overhead and carry it much more easily. All in all, despite its shortcomings, its not all that bad a boat for easy days at the beach for couples who donít have either the money or energy to paddle two boats and accessories. I rate it a 6 out of 10, but my wife says give it a 7.

08-01-1999
Submitted by: FishnfilSend Email

Stable, fun, utilitarian, this boat does it all(well almost!). My four kids(total < 250#) have no problem sharing the ride on this puppy. They all love the ease of jumping on and off(it's tough to flip this thing!) I've had it in 3' swells in the intercoastal(Outer Banks) and never worried about my fishing gear being bounced out. A back band is highly recommended for anyone not in great shape, as is a longer paddle for the width. If you haven't tried a sit-on-top, you'll have no problem playing with this one!

07-26-1999

Entry Level sit on top seats up to 3 people. Really two adults and one kid. Can be paddled as a single. Very stable even in swells. Not a fast boat and turns slow, but that can be expected in a boat of this type. This boat works well for beginner family paddlers. Serious paddlers should consider a longer boat. Boats can be stacked easily as they fit into one another. If you have a family and want to just knock around you will find this boat a great value.