Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Prowler Big Game II Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Prowler Big Game II Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Prowler Big Game II Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Length: 12' 9" - Width: 34.00" - Starting at: $1249.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Ocean Kayak Logo

08-21-2014

After a considerable amount of research and shopping, I purchased my first kayak, an Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game II. I decided on the Prowler Big Game II because the reviews I found all pointed out its great stability and roominess. Being a bit past my prime at 57 years old, slightly overweight, but still ambitious and adventurous enough to want to try something new; I wanted a fishing kayak, but I wanted one that I was not so likely to turn over, swamp, or bring about my premature death by drowning. The Big Game II fit the bill perfectly.

Since the craft is rated at a 550 lb capacity it is more than capable of floating me, all of my fishing gear, extra fishing gear, both wiener dogs, the kitchen sink, and an anvil. I generally opt out of hauling the sink and anvil, and even the wiener dogs in an effort to make launching and trailering easier. But, it's still capable of hauling all of it should I decide I need to. It's more than capable of carrying even the largest of men (providing you don't weigh over 550 lbs.).

The Big Game II is large compared to many kayaks but it is roomy and comfortable. It has 6 mounting brackets mounted on the gunwales, both fore and aft of the seat, making it unnecessary to drill holes in your kayak to mount your favorite rod holder, fish finder, camera mount, beer keeper, TV stand….well, you get the picture. It also has more than ample storage with a huge bow hatch, open rear trunk, and ModPod center hatch (on which you can also mount so many accessories that it would look like the antenna array on the roof of a Russian Embassy).

I found the rear trunk roomy enough to hold both my milk crate (containing all the stuff that I may or may not use) and a small soft sided ice chest (which contains stuff that I will most definitely use). The Element Seating System is fantastic. Even in the low position, my butt stayed dry paddling across a semi rough lake. It is much more comfortable than any of the other kayak seats I test sat and it is capable of placing in the low position for maximum stability, the high position for best fish-ability, or it can be folded up at the rear of the cockpit making more room for standing up to fish or scout the terrain. Yes, I said standing up! I had difficulty believing that any kayak would be stable enough to stand up in until I did it myself on my first time out on the Big Game II (which was also my first time out on a kayak of any kind). I not only stood up, but I turned completely around and reached into the trunk, all without falling out or dumping the kayak over. Having never been an acrobat, and generally having the agility of a drunken wart hog, I was really impressed by the stability. I still wear a PFD as I know if it can be turned over, I'm the one to do it.

There is a pack on the back of the seat that is perfect for holding two fishing tackle utility boxes. It has an abundance of storage space compared to most of the kayaks I considered before buying the Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game II. It is heavier than many of the smaller kayaks at 70 lbs, but I can manage to get it off my trailer and back on without ripping a shoulder out of socket or dropping an important man part.

In the water it doesn't have the agility of dolphin but it turns within a reasonable circumference and moves along at a pretty good clip. It's not a racing Yak but I did feel the wind in my hair….or I would have if I still had hair…and it tracked straight.

08-07-2014

Did my research and chose the Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game II. Being a big guy weight capacity was a major issue and this kayak fits the bill perfectly. It has room for all my gear and then some. Was lucky enough to find it on liquidation and saved $400 bucks, the store even threw in a free paddle. I'm glad I waited otherwise I would have never gotten one for such a good price.

Overall, a great kayak which I'm sure will last me for many years to come.

08-06-2014
Submitted by: Matt McAllisterSend Email

I bought this kayak for my wife about 6 months ago. I have a Ride 135 that I love but I love this kayak too. Extremely stable and the most comfortable seat of any kayak I have tried. Not quite as fast as my Ride 135 but not slow either. It's a tough choice if I'm going out alone whether to take my Ride or her ocean.

07-03-2014

After a considerable amount of research and shopping, I purchased my first kayak, a Ocean Kayak Big Game Hunter II. I decided on the Big Game II because the reviews I found all pointed out its great stability and roominess.

Since the craft is rated at a 550 lb capacity it is more than capable of floating me, all of my fishing gear, extra fishing gear, both wiener dogs, the kitchen sink, and an anvil. I generally opt out of hauling the sink and anvil, and even the wiener dogs in an effort to make launching and trailering easier. But, it's still capable of hauling all of it should I decide I need to. It's more than capable of carrying even the largest of men (providing you don’t weigh over 550 lbs.).

The Big Game II is large compared to many kayaks but it is roomy and comfortable. It has 6 mounting brackets mounted on the gunwales, both fore and aft of the seat, making it unnecessary to drill holes in your kayak to mount your favorite rod holder, fish finder, camera mount, beer keeper, TV stand... well, you get the picture. It also has more than ample storage with a huge bow hatch, open rear trunk, and ModPod center hatch (on which you can also mount so many accessories that it would look like the antenna array on the roof of a Russian Embassy). I found the rear trunk roomy enough to hold both my milk crate (containing all the stuff that I may or may not use) and a small soft sided ice chest (which contains stuff that I will most definitely use).

Having never been an acrobat, and generally having the agility of a drunken wart hog, I was really impressed by the stability. I still wear a PFD as I know if it can be turned over, I'm the one to do it. There is a pack on the back of the seat that is perfect for holding two fishing tackle utility boxes. It has an abundance of storage space compared to most of the kayaks I considered before buying the Ocean Kayak Big Game Hunter II. It is heavier than many of the smaller kayaks at 70 lbs, but I can manage to get it off my trailer and back on without ripping a shoulder out of socket or dropping an important man part.

In the water it doesn't have the agility of dolphin but it turns within a reasonable circumference and moves along at a pretty good clip. It's not a racing boat but I did feel the wind in my hair... or I would have if I still had hair... and it tracked straight. I'm not an expert kayaker, but as a novice I'm certainly impressed with the Big Game II and would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a fishing kayak with plenty of room and stability.