Product Reviews > Kayaks > Sun Dolphin > Aruba 10 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Aruba 10 Kayak by Sun Dolphin

Rated: 8.18/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

Aruba 10 Kayak by Sun Dolphin

Length: 10' 0" - Width: 30.00" - Starting at: $299.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Sun Dolphin Logo

11-14-2014

The Sun Dolphin Aruba is a great beginner level Kayak... I use mine for creeks and small rivers, and the local lake. It is light, easily transported, and turns on a dime. The only time I have ever had issues was when I got into some wind on a large river (St Mary's River, MD) and the waves were coming over the bow. This boat does not cut through waves, but it is easily maneuverable and very stable. With the low price and sturdy materials I don't worry as much about scraping the bottom as I do in my larger, more expensive 14' kayak. It has very limited storage, but will fit my 6"X6" drybox.

10-03-2014

I purchased an Aruba 10 from Walmart in May 2014 and used it every single weekend since. I fell in love with kayaking, not the boat. Had I known I would like it this much I would have done some research first. At the very least don't give your money to a retailer, find a local kayak shop or pick up something on craigslist.

This boat definitely gets me where I need to go and I plan to hang on to it after I upgrade for trips I have to scoot along rocks. I have managed to dent the front but it popped back out.

Here are some dislikes of the kayak: I don't like how wide it is, I don't like it having such a flat bottom, spray skirts seem pointless and there is definitely no rolling, I have heard you can install thigh braces but not sure if they would work on this one, would prefer it to be faster/easier going, my "rear bulkhead" is two styrofoam blocks shoved in the back of the kayak so it is all one compartment, my rear hatch doesn't even connect to the boat when closed so it lets in a ton of water, not sure how important but no perimeter lines, the cockpit swallows me up, I feel like it is impossible to twist while paddling because my legs and butt just twist as well, and a hard plastic seat (currently using outdoor lawn chair cushions.)

Overall you could get a decent used boat for $200 and rec boats seem quite popular right now. Remember all rec kayaks under $300 are the same, just pick a color.

09-21-2014

The Aruba 10 by Sun Dolphin was purchased by both my Mother in Law and her sister for use on the area lake. They chose the Aruba 10's because of the light weight (40 lbs.) and inexpensive price that included the paddle. The kayak is made of a high density polyethylene that doesn't seem as rigid as some other manufacturers but it preformed well when I paddled the lake. It was a smooth float that was slightly off track but easy to adjust with light paddle strokes. I felt comfortable and secure in this kayak and with it's performance, a good product for the limited recreational use it will see.

09-17-2014
Submitted by: Sherrie WilliamsSend Email

My husband and I have purchased three of these kayaks and are very pleased with how they handle. lake, river or ocean, I have bought a cheaper Pelican 10 ft. and the difference is night and day. Sun Dolphin wins hands down! You get what you pay for.

08-20-2014
Submitted by: Rain357Send Email

Recent purchase, long time kayak user. For $199 at Kmart I was really impressed. This handles better than my 14 foot and is nice to move through the water. Seat could use an upgrade, and compartment in the back can be cut out for more space. Only used on flat water but is a lot of fun and plan to buy another one. I would also like to see a better drain plug but again for the price you can add a better one yourself. After all the personal modifications it may cost me just under $100 but makes this a very flexible fun kayak and would recommend at this price. Walmart has it with lame paddle for $250 but not worth the extra $. You can find a nicer lifetime paddle for about $25 if you buy at the right time. Of course for any real touring this is not your kayak…just a nice beginner for the whole family.

08-10-2014

This is by far the best kayak for the money, I can DO everything and GO everywhere that a seven or eight hundred or even a two thousand dollar kayak can do/go. And they are light enough so that me and hubby can carry two at a time and get into the water faster. It's a very sturdy and well built plastic Sun Dolphin Aruba 10 kayak.

08-06-2014

Got one of these on end of season clearance last year for my 6 year old. I was surprised how fast it was for being so wide. The seat is awful, but I bought some neoprene and glued it down and it is all aces. The kids love it and when they get tired of paddling I just tie them up to me and pull them. Perfect for kids and beginners.

07-21-2014
Submitted by: MSSend Email

Two for one! I picked up two of these at Walmart with paddles for $500. The wife and I had wanted to try kayaking for a while and thought what better way than this. We have used them for 4-5 hour paddles now every weekend for a month in a local reservoir and they are far from perfect but are great for beginners!

Stable - VERY stable, we got in to float around and the first thing I did was try to find the tipping point (without dumping myself) and you can lean a considerable way without tipping and the point at which it does tip is pretty forgiving! Highly recommend this for beginners!

Kinda fast - I was paddling it around thinking it's broad hull wasn't very efficient and that I could go MUCH faster in something else. After trying a couple of friend's kayaks I found that it wasn't too bad, I couldn't go much faster or glide too much farther.

The foot perches are sturdy and the backrest feels good (beginners take a minute to figure out how to adjust these on shore, watch some YouTube vids), but there is no padding for your bum... We added a hunting seat for about $15 (inflatable foam), well worth it without sacrificing any stability!

Do we have plans to upgrade sometime? YEP, a little longer boat with hatches for camping and a little sleaker hull, but without these we NEVER would've dived into this sport! Just do it! Grab one of these and get out and paddle!

07-07-2014

This kayak is a wonderful, inexpensive luxury. It has taken a beating and keeps floating, including falling off the roof of my SUV onto cement with hardly a scratch. It is comfortable for my 5-6 hour paddles. It has been all around Indiana every weekend since March in lakes, rivers , and creeks and has never let me down. Lightweight and easy on the budget, I highly recommend Sun Dolphin Aruba 10.

07-03-2014
Submitted by: RTMSend Email

Purchased the Sun Dolphin Aruba as my first kayak. It performs well for a recreational yak. Very stable. Doesn't track very well and pretty slow, but I definitely would recommend as a kayak for beginners. Available online and at big box stores like Walmart.

12-27-2013

FOR THE MONEY I PAID (important semi-disclaimer). OK, I am done shouting, but want to be clear about that. If you get it from K Mart with a coupon code (search; there is almost always one) and free shipping to a store near you, you can get the price under $175 before tax. That is without the "free" paddle you get at Walmart, though. If I were comparing it to the lower end 10' SIKs from the name brand makers, I would probably still give it a 6 or 7.

I originally had the Atwood skirt on but it kept popping off; just too tight across the front. I just sent it back and ordered the large Lavika based on another post I found.

It's a good basic 10' plastic kayak. Tracks decently for the length. It is not a whitewater play boat; it is a recreational boat that can handle some waves and current.