Product Reviews > Kayaks > Hurricane Kayaks > Skimmer 128 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Skimmer 128 Kayak by Hurricane Kayaks

07-23-2014

I've had my Hurricane Skimmer 128 for about a year. I paddle inland lakes and rivers almost exclusively. I've paddled many boats and this is my current favorite. Previously my QCC 600X kevlar/carbon was my best paddling boat, but back and hip issues prevent me from maintaining the nearly straight legged sitting position of a sit inside kayak.

A sit on top cannot compare with the feeling of being one with your boat that a snug sit inside kayak provides, and the Skimmer is no exception. It is wider, rides higher and catches more wind than a sit inside, even though I weigh about 170 lbs. But the trade off is that I can now paddle for hours without pain.

A huge bonus is that, magically, the Skimmer tracks better for me than any previous boat--even my QCC. I used to need to take frequent corrective strokes. Unless the wind is very strong, I track straight and true in the Skimmer. I can also lift and carry it short distances. It is beautiful with a glassy finish that suction cups stick to well (compass, etc), the ABS like material is tougher than you would expect, the Skimmer has a lot of dry and wet storage, and is a great boat to take our 10 lb. dog out--he is a bow rider and there is room for us both in the cockpit. I do use some anti skid material for him to get a grip, though. My 225+ lb. husband paddles my Skimmer 128 with no problem. He is thinking of getting a Skimmer 14 for himself.

Pros: great tracking, maneuverable, light and fast paddling, fantastically comfortable and adjustable seat, roomy, stable, a lot of storage, light weight, beautiful.

Cons: extra buoyancy means it rides high, wish it was narrower and the seat well was lower, needs a decent cup holder or spot to attach a carabiner.
Otherwise, a great boat!

07-06-2014
Submitted by: Nancy CSend Email

I love my Hurricane Skimmer. It is so lightweight and easy to handle. Tracks beautifully. Very comfortable. Just right for my small size and will accommodate a larger paddler. Good storage for day trips. Ample leg room. Fun to paddle. Love it!!!

07-03-2014

Almost perfect! My silver Skimmer is a beautiful boat to look at, and a pleasure to paddle. It is quiet, fast, and I haven't needed a scupper plug yet to have a dry ride. Lots of dry storage, and the rear well is large enough for my cart.

It is just a personal preference, but since I often have to boat up the evening before a paddle to get an early start, and since I live in Florida, it would have been better for me to have a removal seat that wouldn't get rained on during the night. The seat itself is very comfortable and adjustable, and I don't doubt I'm in the minority about that feature.

Other SOTs that I have paddled (Tarpon 100, Hurricane Phoenix 120, Perception Tribe 9.5 and Perception Tribe 11.5) don't come close to the performance and beauty of this boat.