Product Reviews > Kayaks > Bass Pro > Ascend A10 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Ascend A10 Kayak by Bass Pro

09-21-2014

I own a recreational kayak, a Future Beach Fusion 124, which is a solid entry level kayak. I love to fish so that's mostly what I do in my kayak. The Fusion was nice but there wasn't much room to haul things. I found the Ascend A10 on the internet and began researching it to see if it might work for me. I found one in the town I live in so I went to the marine store and bought one. By the way, they sold it to me at the regular price and included a $60 paddle for free. Great deal.

The first time I took the A10 out on a fishing trip I was impressed with how well it tracked. The hull design has a lot to do with that. It isn't the fastest kayak on the water but is adequate for what I need. The thing I love is the open storage area. I have the 2013 model so it is completely open behind the seat. It stores a large tackle box, cooler, bag, or just about anything you'd need on a fishing trip.

The kayak is very stable. It rocks a little more than my flat-hulled Fusion 124 but is very stable nonetheless. The seat is a removable steel framed seat with nylon mesh seat and back. Very comfortable for paddling and fishing. Very cool because of the mesh. The only thing it lacks is foot pegs. Not a big deal, since I can add them for around 30 bucks. It's a great platform to customize into whatever configuration you like. I am going to add a small water-proof storage bin and some rod holders. I may add an anchor system as well.

All in all, I love the A10 and for $300 you can't go wrong.

07-02-2014
Submitted by: PaulSend Email

A great recreational kayak for the casual paddler. I mainly use mine on the Des Plaines River in north east Illinois. This kayak is great for calm slow moving waters, and tracks exceptionally well given its size, due to its trimaran style hull. In faster river currents it can be difficult to maneuver especially when log jams and other obstructions are present.

What I love about this model (the older one) is the abundance of storage space. The design is that of a canoe kayak hybrid. The storage behind the seat is entirely open allowing you to carry items that would not normally fit into dry storage compartments. I routinely take overnight trips where I can bring a large cooler, camping chairs, even a charcoal grill pit in the back no problem.

The only downside for me is the lack of a combing ring to add a spray skirt. While the kayak is stable enough to not have to worry about flipping it, without a spray skirt I have to be careful when it rains, the open storage can fill up rather quick in a heavy downpour!

All in all this is a terrific base model kayak that offers the experimental paddler a lot of opportunities for customization.