Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Discovery Scout Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Discovery Scout Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 8 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

10-08-2007
Submitted by: Tim DuvalSend Email

Turns on a dime - I hear it is out of production and that is a shame - we use it tandem and solo on everything from 3 day camps (1100 lb cap) to class 3+ Zoar Gap - stays drier than any I have seen - if you have a chance to buy one and want to run rivers - get it!

I tipped my first time out in it and admittedly hated it, but this boat has taken me so many places I am glad I didn't - I wouldnt recommend it to a beginner because of its tipsy shape but would recommend to a seasoned paddler for the same reason!

Love it Love it Love it!

06-12-2007

Just sold mine after owning for 4 years because I am into yaking these days.
Great all around boat. As previously mentioned, better in moving water. It's too bad they don't make them any longer. The reason I rated a 9 instead of 10 is because it is a little heavy. However, I think a bargain for the price. The Appy would be great but just too much $ for me.

08-21-2001
Submitted by: David AdamsSend Email

I owned the Discovery Scout for about 3 years. The boat was great when it was in the water. It felt stable enough for me to take it on day trips around the French Coast during a two-week vacation in Brittany. I finally sold it because I found it difficult to move about out of the water, even with the help of my wife it was heavy to load onto the roof of the car. I'm now on the lookout for a smaller lightweight canoe.

12-28-2000
Submitted by: W L Smith JrSend Email

I have had my Scout for almost three years now and it has been a very good boat. I use it on rivers and lakes. I think it is one of the best all around canoes you can buy for the money. It is a bit tippy at first and takes some time to gain confidence in the secondary stability. Also once you master correction strokes to counter the lack of tracking, flat water canoeing is possible. Also with the right about of ballast it not a bad solo boat. The Discovery Scout does everything I need a canoe to do and the price was right. If you can only get one boat and you will spend more time on moving water than flat but would like to enjoy both this is an excellent canoe. However it is a bit heavy on long portages but that did not bother me enough to make me part with the extra money for the Appalachian. (about $10 per lb.)

02-08-2000
Submitted by: DFPSend Email

Poor mans Appalachian. same boat different materials. I find mine is too tippy for fishing, not comfortable standing up and casting. tough and heavy. good for class 1-3 water it stays quite dry responds well. I paddle it solo or with partners. not much of a lake boat altho it is not dangerous.

07-14-1999
Submitted by: JBS

Good boat for I-III whitewater, seems more at home on the rocks than on a peaceful, lazy stream. Can be a little tipsy if youngsters are in the boat.

06-30-1999
Submitted by: B.Harris

Great boat. Extremely durable and surprisingly maneuverable in moderate WW. Only downfall is weight, a bit heavy but well worth it! I will never get rid of mine.

06-07-1999
Submitted by: JDA

Great on the river from class I-III.