Product Reviews > Kayaks > Future Beach > Angler 144 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Angler 144 Kayak by Future Beach

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

Angler 144 Kayak by Future Beach

Length: 12' 0" - Width: 30.55" - Starting at: $749.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Future Beach Logo

01-19-2015

While I have only been heavily kayaking for one season so far, I have used several sit on top and sit inside kayaks and I feel I can give a good review of the SOT Future Beach 144.

I initially bought this kayak for bow fishing and I must say that you can stand on it and bow fish pretty well with some practice. There is a kid on YouTube bow fishing on one of these while rocking out some AC/DC and he makes it look easy. I have used this kayak for several other uses in the past year and have been very pleased with it.

I will first talk about the modifications that I have made to this kayak. First of all I am 6'1" and around 240lbs. The "seat" that it came with had to go. I replaced it with a much better one. I did not like the anchor trolley system that came with the yak, so I replaced it with one that runs the full length of the yak. I mounted a ram ball for my GPS. I replaced the scupper plugs with some much more durable ones. I also replaced the carry handles. They were much too flimsy for the weight of the yak.

On calm water - I have had this kayak in swamps, small lakes, and large lakes. It tracks very well, and is quite easy to paddle considering its 30" wide. I would want anything wider than 30" though. I had the opportunity to paddle a 36" wide SOT and was not happy. I am able to stand on the yak and operate a fishing pole or a bow fishing system. Standing takes some practice but it can be done surprisingly well and easy after you get used to it.

On choppier waters - Pine Lake is heavily used in the summer months. I have on two occasions taken my Angler 144 on Pine Lake when all the watercraft was on it. It was fun crashing around on the waves and the yak never tipped, but a long paddle in choppy water would probably prove to be a beating. At least for me. I noticed that my buddy's Vapor 10 was going through the waves much better than mine was.

On slow moving rivers - I have had this yak on the Yellow River quite a bit. It's about 20yds wide with lots of turns. The river during the summer months is around 2-3ft deep. The angler 144 has done very well with it. Not as nimble as my girlfriend's Ascend D10 or my buddy's Vapor 10, but it hangs in there. I have had this yak over class 1 and 2 rapids with good results.

Kayak Camping - the Future Beach Angler 144 shines for storage capacity. You can hold a lot of gear with this yak. I put most everything in dry bags and there is a lot of up top and down below storage. I love kayak camping with this yak. The yak glides very easily across the water with weight in it.

I am giving it 8 stars for the following reasons: I do not like the "shark gill" foot braces. I much more prefer the adjustable foot pegs. The seat at least for me was not going to do the job for sitting long periods in the yak. My center deck hatch absolutely failed. The threads would jam and I needed I to really pry to get the hatch open. Then the hatch ring failed. I just sealed the hatch shut and mounted my Ram ball on the lid. I didn't use it anyways. I think the carry handles need to be more robust and durable. The yak is heavy.

Overall, I have been very pleased with the Angler 144. With the few things I don't like about it, there was MUCH more that I do like. After a season on the water, I have researched kayaks extensively and found that there isn't really one kayak that fits all of my needs without modification so I may just be too critical of this one, LOL. I have a friend that runs nothing but SOTs (he has a Jackson, Wilderness, and Native Watercraft) and he was impressed with the Future Beach for its performance.

09-24-2014

I Purchased mine 4 years ago for about $480. This yak rocks! It doesn't have all the bells and whistles as some newer and pricier yaks, but she's definitely a keeper.
The balance of stability, swiftness, and comfort is perfect.

Track Record:
50+ Outings in the Chesapeake Bay under all weather conditions. Shes never flipped. I've put the bow through some waves and wake 1-4ft and purposely flipped it to practice re entry. It leaks very minimally.
I can carefully get my hands to the tip of the stern and bow on he water when necessary.
I weigh 180 and carry up to 100+ lbs of gear, no problems. In calm water one can stand on it carefully.

It's very durable, I drag it over rocks, logs, pavement, etc. ouch:( bad habit
It survived my 140lb ex-girlfrind sitting in the stern through mild white water on a 5hr booze cruise down a river (Potomac River)
It easily stowed my current girlfriend on the stern down a sportier river (Gunpowder River).

Cons:
Handles break- for a yak of this weight the handles should be stronger.
Under my seat, the hull has deformed- probably due to an abusive owner.

Its a great boat. I would buy it all over again.

08-19-2014
Submitted by: JamesSend Email

Angler 144. Fished in the U.P. of MI and in the Gulf of Mexico. Best deal for the money. Stable. I like them so much I bought 2. Hoping to land a shark this summer. Plenty of storage. Cooler/bait bucket fits right in the back. Two rod holders in the rear. One adjustable rod holder in the front. Two cup holder spots.

Save your money, you don't need one of the $1200.00 ones, this one is the best bang for the buck. You can sit in just about any position, my cousin stands in his and fishes. Ultra-stable. Just typing about it makes me want to go fishing! 12 feet long, double hull type. 57 lbs. I did buy the extra padded seat for both .

Bottom line save the extra $600 and buy the wife something nice or a new rod and reel.

07-02-2014
Submitted by: Scott odomSend Email

I purchased a Angler 144 from a Dunams store to use for fishing. Tried it out on a lake near my house with great results. The handling seemed to work great, hull design was as described with regards to tracking straight and having good man over ability. This sit on top has a lot of standard options that will work great for my grandson and myself.