Product Reviews > Kayaks > Epic Kayaks, Inc. > V6 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for V6 Kayak by Epic Kayaks, Inc.

V6 Kayak by Epic Kayaks, Inc.

Length: 16' 0" - Width: 23.00" - Starting at: $2995.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Epic Kayaks, Inc. Logo

04-20-2015
Submitted by: RonSend Email

Last week I rented the V6 Epic surf ski/SOT from Naples Kayak company in South Naples Florida. I was looking to experience a performance SOT, and something I wouldn't struggle to cartop. I never paddled a surf ski before and was a little hesitant when I first sat on the V6, but the secondary stability was realized in a few minutes. Over the week I paddled some 45 miles of mangroves, open water and the gulf.

She was fast and tracked as straight as an arrow, the skeg type rudder with its top of the foot peddle adjustment was ingenious. She was effortless to paddle even straight into a 15 knot breeze and chop. The light weight was amazing while other fellow SOT paddlers struggled to haul their boats on and off their cars, the V6 was a one arm carry and with ease to mount on the roof.

The only complaint I have was the minimal space I had to store anything, etc. Water bottle, chart or binoculars. I think Epic would do very well if they designed a true SOT, say 26 inches wide, staying with performance but adding a little stability. The kayak would appeal to many SOT enthusiasts, breaking there backs lugging 70 lbs and better.

06-16-2014
Submitted by: TLSend Email

Bought a V6 for my girlfriend to use for club sea trips. Have ended up very taken with the boat myself and often steal it away for paddles myself. Build quality appears to be excellent throughout,the seams and bulkheads are very neat, finish is excellent and all fittings appear to be well attached. The seat bucket is very comfortable and the footplate easily adjustable, however Epic doesn't really cater for shorter paddlers - at 5'6" with short legs I can only just touch the pedals and my girlfriend at 5'2" has to use a couple of pads behind her.

On the water the boat is easily edged, while having reassuringly solid secondary stability - you can get the side of the bucket under water before the boat shows any sign of going over.

The boat feels very easily driven, not sure of actual speeds but my girlfriend now outpaces most of the standard 16' sea kayaks even though her paddle fitness is a bit lacking...

With the rudder down the boat tracks really well. I'm not sure whether it's due to the construction of the rudder system on the Epics (with articulating hull section), but the rudder is fairly stiff. For touring this is perhaps better as the boat doesn't twitch around when driving with the feet as skis with more sensitive rudders can.

Rudder up and the boat becomes incredibly manouvreable, does take concentration to keep it running straight.

Hatches appear to be watertight and the 'cam' closing mechanism seems very solid. The hatches do have to be located just right for all the cams to close.

Weight is approx 16-17kg with nomex core in the hull. Makes it a lovely light boat but whether you'd want to go rockhopping in big conditions is perhaps a bit questionable!

Only real bugbear (hence the 9) with the boat is the setup and location of the rudder uphaul line and cleat. It's just behind the left hip which isn't a very ergonomic position to pull from. The cleat is also recessed in such a way that the rudder line does not re-cleat automatically - the line needs to be pushed down into the cleat for the teeth to bite. This turns the rudder raising into a two-handed operation - which could be a bit of a pain if facing a bumpy landing and wanting to keep one hand in control of the paddle at all times.

In conclusion this is a great boat if you are looking for a fast, capable ski/sit-on style boat. Stable enough for a beginner to paddle on flat water but with handling to reward the experienced paddler.

©2015 Paddling.net Inc.