Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pelican International > Trailblazer 100 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Trailblazer 100 Kayak by Pelican International

Rated: 9.4/10 Based On: 15 Reviews

09-17-2014
Submitted by: Dave HSend Email

Bought this kayak from the Dick's near where I live. have rented different models before and really enjoyed it. Wanted one of my own and couldn't pass up the price.

I have been really surprised with the stability of this kayak! I think you would have to want to flip it. I have taken it everywhere from small creeks and lakes to larger rivers and open bays and had no issues. It is affected by the wind but put that down to it's light weight. look forward to many years on the water with it.

09-06-2014

I bought my Pelican Trailblazer 100 a few months ago, and I absolutely love it! I am totally new to kayaking, and this boat is so stable, and easy to carry. I can even fit it into my Jeep Patriot! I have fallen in love with kayaking now, and I can't get enough! Plus, it is a beautiful blue color!!!

09-02-2014

We are newbie kayakers and purchased two Pelican Trailblazer 100's. Our kayaks are the angler version. We have only seen them in beige and wish they made more colors available. These kayaks are great for kayaking the shallow, slow Kankakee River in Illinois. They are light weight and we can launch them right from the riverbank. They are also very stable and we never worry about capsizing. All in all, we have enjoyed our sturdy Pelican kayaks.

07-30-2014

Really good kayak for the price! After borrowing a friend's Clear Water Leisure Affinity 8.6 for my wife to see if she'd enjoy kayaking, I bought this for her and we took it out for the first time yesterday to Slatersville Reservoir. The first thing she said after paddling for about 5 seconds was "Wow, this thing can move!" Well coming from the borrowed yak, this was an obvious improvement.

Very stable, tracks decently for a 10 footer. It does get moved easily by the wind being as light as it is. It has a good amount of features for the price range, though it would have been nice to have the back end open for storage. It is closed off by foam behind the seat, and there is only a small "dry hatch" in the rear. I'm not sure how dry it will stay in rougher waters, but it stayed dry for us. it's definitely not sealed in any way. The seat looks good, though my wife complained that she would have liked it to be a it higher.

All said, a very good beginner kayak for $220. (Missed the $199 deal at Dick's)

07-16-2014

This is a perfect starter kayak for kids. It is a great size for my 13 year old and 10 year. Storage space is limited in the hatches. It cuts well through the water and smaller rapids.

07-15-2014

We purchased 6 Pelican Trailblazers for kayaking on the Toccoa River and the lake in Blue Ridge, GA. We are first time kayakers. The price was the deciding factor for us, since we wanted 6 kayaks! We love the stability of the Trailblazer and the storage opportunities it offers. The Trailblazer is made with Ram X material. So far they have held up well in the rocky river even when the water levels are low and we hit several rocks. We definitely would recommend this model to the first time buyer for recreational kayaking.

07-11-2014

This is my first kayak. I love it. It was a great price and I love the bright yellow color. It tracks in the water perfectly. For the price it is an awesome value. I would recommend

07-09-2014

I purchased 2 of these trailblazers and are very impressed with them! My wife and I have taken them out each weekend for the last 2.5 months, what a blast we have been having getting into very shallow areas back in bays as well as many lakes around Oregon.

The stability of these kayaks are awesome considering they are only 28" wide. I would definitely recommend these to anyone looking to start kayaking or even for intermediate yakers. All I can say is THANK YOU Pelican for a quality built, Yet inexpensive kayak. See you on the water!!!

07-06-2014
Submitted by: WMSend Email

This kayak is great. I recently just started kayaking and was able to find the Pelican Trailblazer at a local sporting store and I'm glad that I got it. For a 10 foot kayak it is extremely fast in the water.I went kayaking on a windy day last week and had a lot of chop and was able to do just fine. I highly recommend it anyone looking for a good beginner and intermediate kayak.

Submitted by: NIGSend Email

New to kayaks and got the Trailblazer a few weeks ago. Just got another for my wife. Still don't know what makes this inexpensive kayak different than expensive ones but I love it. I'm 5'8" and 175 lbs.

Seat back is not great for someone with back problems. If you have back problems get a support or kayak with a high back.

I would only assume (after reading other reviews) than tracking could be a problem but I use it in the calm Charles River in MA and have no problem. I may have a different review if I were in rough water. I think for 180.00 this is one great kayak. NOW, let's see how well it holds up over time.

Submitted by: Shawn TibbittsSend Email

Great kayak for the beginner "weekend warrior", who is just testing the water in the world of kayaking. Great on lakes outlets and creeks, this kayak handles well but is also very tough construction wise. You will have no fears scraping the bottom on rocks in low water because of its tough construction but also its reasonable price.

The only down side I have with this kayak is that its cargo compartment is not water tight. However a short trip to the hardware store and $5 will fix this issue. If you're looking into buying your first kayak or considering picking up kayaking recreationaly, this is the kayak for you. The Trailblazer 100 will give you years of enjoyment at a price you cant beat.

Details:
• 1-person sit-in kayak • Versatile • Designed for: recreation • Perfect for beginners • Built on an ultra-stable hull platform • Dashboard • Drain plug • Adjustable foot pegs • Seat pad • Adjustable padded backrest • Carrying handles • Storage hatch with bungee to secure items

Specifications:
Length: 10'
Width: 28"
Cockpit dimensions: 51.25"L x 23.5" W
Weight capacity: 275 lbs

07-02-2014

Recently bought 2 of these kayaks for my wife and I. Used them this past weekend on a lake in Southern Oregon and had a great time with them. I like that the seat is elevated an inch or so off the bottom of the kayak and not on the bottom. Bought them on sale at Dicks sporting goods for $200 a piece. A great deal for getting out on the water.

07-02-2014

Purchased a couple of the Trailblazer's for family & friends to use on the lake. They are low cost and reasonably light weight kayaks. For the price, can't beat them. Would not want to take them on any rough waters.

05-27-2014
Submitted by: ScottSend Email

I recently purchased two of these kayaks. I have been very pleased with them. I already owned an Ascend FST12 and a Liquid Logic and added these to our family fleet. They are lightweight, very stable and very inexpensive boats, perfect for paddling lakes, gentle flowing streams and back bays. There are only two issues I have: 1) with a thin plastic hull I'd be afraid to do any aggressive rapids 2) No dry storage.

05-19-2014

I purchased this kayak a few months ago from Dicks Sporting Goods. After several 4-5 hour excursions I am very pleased with the boat. It is very stable, paddles relatively straight and is surprisingly manueverable. I've accessorized it to suit my needs (rod holders, cleats, paddle clip and cupholder). Well worth the 200 dollar price tag to get out on the water with no hassles!

Rendezvous River Sports