Product Reviews > Accessories > Lendal Storm Paddle (Straight & MCS Shafts) Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Lendal Storm Paddle (Straight & MCS Shafts)

Lendal, North America Logo
See Products from Lendal, North America in the Buyers' Guide!
Lendal, North America in the Buyers' Guide:
  • XRANGE Touring Shafts
  • XRANGE Touring Blades

11-13-2014

I've owned and frequently used my crankshaft Storm for 6 months, and am completely satisfied. My previous paddle, a foam-core straight shaft from another manufacturer, was used exactly once this summer, and will live out its days as my on-deck backup.

I'm a large, strong paddler in an Impex Assateague, 65 years old, who used to have shoulder and wrist problems before switching to the Storm. That one time I tried my old paddle immediately aggravated those old problems, reinforcing my conclusion that the Landal paddle is much easier on my body. The strange thing is that it's also considerably faster than my old paddle, according to my GPS. Part of that speed differential is probably the comfortable feel, but most seems to be the unusual blade shape that really seems to lock onto the water when you plant it, and the slight spring to the shaft. My kayaking ranges from flat water photography to upwind workout sprints, using both high- and low-angle strokes. The Storm is quite comfortable at any angle, but seems to me slightly more suited to a medium-high angle. Clearly, some talented designers spent a lot of time and effort getting this blade right. The shaft guides my hands to the proper position and lets me know the blade angle without looking.

The only things that gave me pause when I bought the paddle were the hex key locking system and the lack of drip rings. I immediately bought backup hex keys and find the shaft solidity worth the assembly/dis-assembly time. I haven't missed the drip rings; the paddle sheds no more water on me than my old paddle with rings.

My crankshaft Lendal Storm has increased my speed, control and comfort and is worth every dime I spent on it. If I lose it I will immediately buy another. That's why it's 10 of 10.

11-05-2014

Visually striking, the build quality is excellent with a very smooth finish and few visible deformities. The model that Lendal was kind enough to lend used a previous year's shaft. We also had a Cadence to test that utilized a newer shaft that retained the same overall shape but seems to have a slightly larger diameter and may be a bit lighter. This same shaft is used in the current Storm. Both of these shafts have a pronounced triangular feel in the hand leaving absolutely no doubt as to non-visual orientation of the blade.

On land holding the paddle with a relaxed handgrip would result in the paddle's sloughing into a low brace position without a firmer grip. Left me wondering if I would need to "muscle" it more in use than my Werner.

The paddle joint is Lendal's proven carbon padlock system. This joint is stable and has the plus of having non-corrosive parts. Downside? You need a tool on your vest to lock the joint...the Lendal Key...lose it and you now own a one piece paddle. The current Lendal wrenches also don't hold up very well to saltwater.

Notable is Lendal's large beautiful graphic on the back face of the blade and the power face sports a "Storm" graphic that doesn't quite live up to the Lendal name, but itís just a sticker; so let's go paddle.

On Water:
First impression was that blade size and its 24 oz. weight made for very pleasurable all-day touring. It feels very "strong" despite its low weight and seems to have just enough flex. As for the balance issue I experienced with the shaft on land; it was simply nowhere in evidence once the blade was in the water. In forward strokes the stiffness of the shaft made for smooth power transfer with the blade catching smoothly and exiting quietly with no flutter at all.

Despite the lack of drip rings, the paddle was quite dry to use. The blade also gripped well through sweep strokes and draws...that nicely shaped shaft coming into play again allowing very precise control with little ventilation. The blade worked predictably and felt completely natural through a whole litany of strokes, except one. When using a blended stroke that involves slicing the blade forward from a vertical orientation, as in a sculling draw... I found that with the bottom of the blade oriented forward it would try to dive under my hull if I didn't open the blade aggressively.

Overall? None of the others I passed it to noticed it and it certainly wasn't any sort of deal breaker for me. The Storm is light enough yet durable enough to hold up under extremes.

06-06-2014

I had an opportunity to recently demo Lendal's new Storm paddle, in both the straight and crankshaft, at The River Connection on the mighty Hudson River.

It's a wonderful paddle and feels like an extension of one's upper body. I believe it is the lightest paddle I have ever used, yet the lay-up feels quite robust. My current paddle is a Werner Cyprus, which is a nice blade, however, I find the flutter that that Cyprus generates to be an annoyance. I found the Storm's blade entry to be quiet and there is NO flutter!

The Storm's dihedral blade made some strokes, that I occasionally struggle with, simply effortless (e.g. draw with in-water recovery). The Storm has very positive indexing for proper hand placement and it's easy to adjust the feather with Lendal's Pad-Lock system.

The crank version of the shaft is the first bent-shaft I have found acceptable for my personal style of paddling: high angle; Ben Lawry and Marshall Seddon coached, etc.

There will be one of the Storm's in my future. I just need to chose whether I want to stick with a straight shaft or go with a the crank, both would work for me.

11-27-2013

A little background on my style of paddling; I'm Marshall Seddon, the full time Owner/Instructor of The River Connection, avid kayak racer that does better than OK in the race results, habitual high angle paddler that can also use a Greenland Stick, ACA certified instructor, whitewater, sea kayak and adaptive paddling backgrounds, 6' 190lbs, each of the paddles are 215cm long 2 piece configurations.

Specs:
$450 Straight Shaft 2 Piece Storm Paddle w/std. carbon spigots
24oz. Weight for 215cm Straight Shaft
$510 Modified Crank Shaft 2 Piece Storm Paddle w/std. carbon spigots
24oz. Weight for 215 Modified Crank Shaft
16"x7-9/16" Blade face (measured from tip to shoulder of paddle)
20"x7-9/16" Blade face (measured from tip to end of hozzle)

Mfg. Description:
The STORM is a high performance dihedral foil back paddle designed for every type of paddler; super light (640 grams),controllable in all conditions, predictable through the entire paddle stroke inspiring the paddler in whatever conditions they face.

The design team at Lendal was challenged to design and produce a high performance paddle that would be the perfect paddle for the beginner to the expert. After a year of iterations the STORM is the marriage of the XRANGE foil paddle Kinetik shape as the Kinetik shape has been a favorite for years, with a new dihedral face. It's ease of power delivery and control makes this paddle a 'must have' for anyone serious about performance in all manners of conditions.

Initial Observations:
I've only had the chance to play with the Storm at a trade show but noticed immediately the crispness of the blade's entry/exit to the water rivaled the feel of my Mitchell Black Magic and the weight was extremely close to a Werner Cyprus. The most noticeable difference was the attention to sculpting real meaningful indexing into the paddle shaft. This not only sat absolutely naturally in my hands but for rolling, sculling, prying, etc. the blade orientation was automatic as the direction could be felt in the shaft shape rather than feeling for the blade resistance. I'm looking forward to putting some miles on this paddle!

A Few Miles on Each Paddle:
Coming from having just been paddling with a FG Lendal Cadence my first reaction upon picking up the Lendal Storm Straight Shaft was noticing the lightness of the paddles. I know on paper it is only 2oz. but it is immediately noticeable in the hands.

First couple paddle strokes continued to differentiate the paddle from the Cadence and others. This paddle has BITE! Superior catch for a mid sized high angle paddle blade. Feels like the amount of purchase that you would get with a bigger blade like a Werner Ikelos. Really nice balance which I'll pester the designers for more details as to how they achieved that but I'm going to guess that it's from more of it's drop point sort of profile like a whitewater playboat paddle design.

The feel of the blades moving in and through the water is very, very nice. Quiet, minimal to no entrained air with the blade insertion. Just enough buoyancy to lift the blade on the exit. No blade flutter in low or high position regardless of the amount of power supplies. Super solid when sculling for support or propulsion in abeams, both sculling and prying draw strokes.

The length of 215cm felt spot on which I'll attribute to the fuller design leading to the throat of the blade compared to the Lendal Cadence.

The Straight Shaft has a very solid feel with no discernible flex. The purchase of the blades is a very strong confident feel without so much resistance as to be fatiguing. There are no drip rings on the paddle. I'm right handed so with a 45 degree feather to the blades drippage would land on my foredeck near my feet. While it doesn't phase me typically paddling a P&H Cetus MV with sprayskirt other paddlers that are used to drip rings might want to add a set.

The Lendal Modified Crank Shaft (bent shaft) has the same blades as on the straight shaft. I'm not an overly enthusiastic fan of bent shaft paddles but I'm REALLY liking Lendal's Modified Crank Shaft. My hands seem to fall right in the sweet spot of the grip area. This makes for a similarly solid feel as on the straight shaft but with more of a sense that it just melds to my body's design. Really, really sweet! Hows that for subjective? I found myself paddling the 4 miles back to the Landing with this paddle and not wanting to switch back to the straight shafts.