Product Reviews > Kayaks > TideRace Sea Kayaks > Pace 18 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Pace 18 Kayak by TideRace Sea Kayaks

11-15-2013

I have had my Pace 18 for 18 months. My wife talked me into buying it at the Charleston Kayak festival because it was different from all of my other kayaks.

Quality is as good or better than any other manufacturer. Gel coat is mirror smooth. Fittings are capped or glassed over. Although light the hull or deck deflects only slightly with weight. The seat is all-day comfortable, the backband not so. I have replaced it. Hatch covers are top quality and do not leak. The small day in front of the cockpit is a plus. Just remember to spread your knees upon entering or exiting. Pedal adjustment is easy. Just spend some time setting up the rudder cables. Shoulder carries are uncomfortable because the balance point is at the thigh braces. Because of the light weight car- topping is easy

The boat is not overly narrow and is more stable than I expected, equal to my Knordcapp and much better than my vyneck. Rolling is is fine but it does not just pop up. The hatches do not leak. In 2-3 foot waves the plumb bow slices into the face but the deck sheds water before it gets to the cockpit. The Pace weathercocks moderately; use the rudder or sweep strokes. With that in mind turning is not quick, no rocker, but lean turns with a sweep stroke are fine.

I am pleased with this kayak in all ways. I am 6', 170lbs. 69years old and have paddled most of my life.