Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Guide 119 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Guide 119 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 9.57/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

09-17-2014
Submitted by: BudSend Email

This boat is a little sweetie. It tracks superbly thanks to its formed-in-hull keel, yet turns quickly due to its length, or lack thereof. It is a great downstream craft. At 42 pounds, it is lighter than most recreational kayaks, yet capable of carrying much more payload. Its poly construction makes it very sturdy indeed--probably on a par with a rotomolded kayak. It can be paddled with a single blade, but frankly it's too much work; a 250cm or longer kayak paddle is a better choice.

Three mods will make this boat a pleasure to paddle:
1) We-no-nah adjustable footbrace
2) a flat strip of wood cut to fit under the gunwale at the boat's widest point, serving as a center thwart and allowing for a solo lift
3) a wedge of wood or plastic lumber which will drop the seat back 2", making for a more ergo seat and better paddling posture.

07-24-2014
Submitted by: Patrick CadySend Email

I recently purchased a Old Town Guide 119 canoe from Dick's Sporting of Erie,Penn. I had researched many brands and types of canoes before buying an Old Town. I am 57 years old and my biggest concern was the weight of the canoe. At 43 pounds, the Guide 119 was by far the main reason for purchase. I am also impressed with the material the canoe is made from (Polyethylene) as I find myself in not so still waters and also Portage a lot when I am camping and making River Runs.

This Canoe is much more than I had expected and I can honestly say that it will be the last boat/Canoe that I will ever need to purchase. It handles like a dream on lakes and the local rivers in my area. I bought it on July 4th, 2014 and in the 3 weeks I've owned it, I have used it every 2 to 3 days. I can just pop it on top my car and go. There is more than enough room for my camping gear and fishing gear.

I have owned many types of boats and Canoes in my life, and by far this has to be the one I enjoy most.
Thanks Old Town

07-20-2014

Got this boat for Father's Day. I have had the opportunity to take it out several times. Love it because it fits in my pickup well. I lowered the seat about an inch in the back and it feels much better. I have seen many reviews saying that it works best with a double bladed paddle, I disagree. A good straight shaft paddle and a decent J stroke moves me along just fine.

07-05-2014
Submitted by: Rob GSend Email

This a great zero-maintenance solo canoe. Perfect for fishing, exploring, bird watching and even camp cruising. At around 45 pounds, I can load it into the bed of my small pickup with ease. This makes it perfect for quick trips after work with no excuses. The seat is comfortable and seat bracket has holes for clipping dry boxes/bags to for easy access on the water. It is very stable and tracks well (I'm around 240 pound). Great value and the camo color I have looks good too.

07-03-2014
Submitted by: Jack StromSend Email

I bought the 119 so that my wife and I could do overnight trips and be in our own boats. I have traveled several Ozark creeks and rivers with out a bit of trouble. With a full load of gear or just me and my paddle and fishing pole, the 119 has not let me down.

08-07-2013
Submitted by: RichardSend Email

I bought this canoe at Dick's and it has been the best solo canoe I have had. Easy to paddle and it tracks well. My only complaint was the seat. I removed the factory seat and replaced it and lowered it. It's very comfortable and I can stay out all day and be comfortable.

07-27-2013
Submitted by: Dan FrederickSend Email

I'm 71 years young and wanted a canoe that I could handle easily. The Guide 119 is near perfect for my need. It weights about 40 lbs and easily mounted and dismounted from my vehicle top. It's stable and has plenty room for solo canoeing. I would strongly recommend this canoe.