Product Reviews > Accessories > Platypus GravityWorks 4.0 L Filter System Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Platypus GravityWorks 4.0 L Filter System

Rated: 9.5/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

Research Water Purifiers & Filters in the Buyers' Guide!
Water Purifiers & Filters
View Water Purifiers & Filters in Buyers' Guide

07-06-2014

filter system works very good no pumping from water source fill bag back to camp set filter to second bag finish with camp set up water is there hanging from tree quick set up filter replacement high end like most around $50.00 found at REI.

05-05-2014

I wanted a 'let it be and do the work alone' type filter as standing in cold water while pumping water instead of sitting at camp cooking was not what I wanted. Being poor, I could not afford the entire Platypus system. Being an Air Force engineer, I am used to making-do. So I bought only the filter, made a foam carry-case and bought two used 'camelpak' bladders at a yard-sale for $1 each. I marked one DIRTY and the other CLEAN and used these as a cheaper option.

Ok, now that I have upset Platypus, here is what I found.
First, the thing works well! I filled the dirty bladder, hung it from a tree and within minutes, the clean bladder was full. refill the Dirty bladder and repeat! a GREAT DESIGN!!!
When I got home, I simply used distilled water and backflushed the filter in my shower to clean it out.

Two suggestions though.
The filter clogs easily so pre-filter this and any water-filter. I carry a cloth bag with a coffee filter or t-shirt as a pre-filter.
Second, air trapped in the Dirty hose can slow the process so purge the hose by letting some water flow from the hose before you attach it to the filter.
Aside from that, the system works and works well.

The only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10 is because I bought a used Sawyer which is smaller, lighter and has a longer life. The Sawyer, however, can use some refinements and requires additional parts to work as a drip-system.

08-02-2013

I am new to the kayak world, but have been camping/hiking for many years. My favorite water filter of several tried has been the Platypus gravity works. I initially thought this system would be bulky and time-consuming, but that was far from the truth.

This is the fastest system for filtering water, particularly large quantities, is one of the lightest filter systems, and requires little to no maintenance. I probably got about 1500 liters out of a single filter. It is an extremely versatile system since you can filter a small amount or a large amount of water at a time which works well for a camp of multiple people, or for a line kayaker.

The primary drawback to this system is that is more expensive than the average pump filters, but its ease of use make it worth it for me.

Pros: it's fast, easy to use and easy to maintain.
Cons: It's expensive and difficult to use with small, non-flowing water sources (which shouldn't be problem for kayakers). The Platypus waterworks runs about $120 and a replacement filter is about $40.
The cost is the only reason I gave it a 9 instead of a 10.

07-26-2013

This is perfect. No pumping required for fast, safe and delicious water. Simply fill up one bag from lake/stream/river (dirty bag), connect the hose/filter to the clean bag and hang it on a tree or rock or wherever there is gravity between the two. The water from the dirty bag filters into the clean bag in mere minutes. The clean bag also has a dispensing hose with clip or you can easily fill your water bottle. The whole system is very light, compact and fits easily in backcountry gear.