Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Trident 13 Angler Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Trident 13 Angler Kayak by Ocean Kayak

12-03-2014
Submitted by: joseph bragenSend Email

This model kayak is made of very soft plastic. The hull deforms or oil cans very quickly. The kayak leaks through all the openings. I have owned 4 Trident 13 foot models. They all had the same problems.

09-05-2014
Submitted by: SLSend Email

I had always been an open canoe paddler up until a few years ago when I bought a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler SOT kayak for fishing. It opened a whole new world to me. I had always been reluctant to use a kayak due to my size (250 lb 6 ft 2 in) but that's not a problem in a SOT. The Trident 13 provided a stable platform for fly fishing plus gave me all the storage I will ever need.

Not only does it track well it is faster than my canoe. The seat not only has a comfortable bottom but the seat back is wonderful. I had back surgery last fall and was worried that the Trident would have to be set aside but, when I used it this spring, I was pleasantly surprised to find out just how comfortable it was even with a sore back.

While it is only a few pounds lighter than my canoe, its shorter length made it easier for me to handle and put on top of my Jeep or on my canoe trailer. When I wear my waders it becomes at least a three season boat if not one I can use year round including during our southern Missouri winters. Would I buy another? You bet!

08-21-2014
Submitted by: TristanSend Email

Plenty of room for storage, and handles well. So far I've taken this boat out on smooth water and it glides right along, making good distance. I was able to easily pack three days worth of camping supplies for myself only using the storage inside the boat and no deck space used. The only improvement that is needed is a new seat, beyond that it's a great boat.

07-07-2014
Submitted by: jersey joeSend Email

I have owned 3 of these kayaks between 2010 and 2013. They all seem to cave in on the hull within the year. I have owned 8 other Ocean Kayaks in the past 15 years and none of them have this problem. The plastic for the Trident is too soft and deforms too easily. I will never buy another Trident again. The Prowler is a much better kayak. The Trident is heavy and slow and has a deformed oil canning hull. Stay away from it.

07-27-2013

I now have over two full seasons in this kayak and have to say I am very pleased with it. Very stable, paddles easily, tracks well, has lots of storage and great weight capacity. The Mod Pod is a really great feature. I could easily do multi-day trips out of this.

07-25-2013

I bought the Trident 13 for its stability and storage capacity. There is no question in my mind that this SOT design is the way to go for kayak fishing. The stability is excellent; I've fished this kayak on big rivers like the Bighorn and run it through fast water and standing waves with great confidence. It is also fine for fishing "side saddle" and is virtually flip proof on salt water in strong seas. Its hull design makes for excellent tracking on still water.

While it does have excellent storage capacity, the center trunk is rather long and wide and leaves only tight leg room on either side. The pre-tapped holes and gear sets on the trunk lid are not user friendly, for example for receiving Scotti rod holders, etc., or for screwing in other accessories. Fully rigged, the boat weighs in well over 60#, which makes loading and unloading from the vehicle a challenge.

On the whole a fine boat, with a few design improvements it would be a great boat.