Product Reviews > Accessories > Aqua-Bound Manta Ray (Posi-Lok) Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Aqua-Bound Manta Ray (Posi-Lok)

Rated: 8.75/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

Aqua-Bound Logo
See Products from Aqua-Bound in the Buyers' Guide!
Aqua-Bound in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Recreational Kayak Paddle
  • Whitewater Kayak Paddles
  • Performance Paddles

07-05-2014

I bought my Manta Ray Hybrid at Canoecopia this March. I had been using a lower price paddle of similar dimensions, and wanted to go lighter. Although the charts all recommended a 230 CM for my size and boat, I went with 220 as my old paddle is adjustable from 220 to 230, and with my high angle style I put all the blade well under water at the 220 setting.

The Manta Ray is 13 ounces lighter than the one it replaced, and takes hard strokes without a trace of flutter. I chose the hybrid for price and weight. An all-carbon version is only three ounces lighter and cost a lot more. Further, I tend to be hard on equipment, I push off from gravel with the paddle and lean rather hard on it when entering and exiting the boat. The reinforced ABX blades are claimed to be better suited for this than carbon. The large blades move the boat rapidly when side sculling, and give fast reversal when I need to back ferry away from a strainer.

All in all I am very satisfied with the paddle, and rate it a nine. I rarely rate anything ten, as almost anything can be improved.

07-29-2013

The Manta Ray paddle is a great fit. I love the posi-lok feature of this paddle. You can change the feathering with ease. There is no weight to this paddle at all. Would highly recommend.

07-19-2013

This review is of the Posi-Lok Dual Button Ferrule version of the Manta Ray Carbon. I bought the 240cm version to propel my Jackson Cuda around the many swamps and bayous I fish. I have also used it on a few 22 mile races that I participate for fun. I describe myself as a high angle paddler and try to keep a good "windmill" rhythm when I am cruising. When fishing I often stand and use the paddle as a Push Pole against rocks, trees, oysters, and sand. I am impressed at how well this lightweight paddle has held up. What I like most is that it doesn't flutter like others I have tried. My friends tell me I paddle to hard. Whatever, this works for me. No problems with the Posi-Lok! This could be made better with some slots to grab line cut into the blades. For me, this is the best paddle for the price ($200).

07-18-2013
Submitted by: Bill RSend Email

I own the newer version of the Manta Ray and the old. The newer Twist-Lock is slipping... where the twist lock seats into the shaft... and the old version sticks (I sanded it lightly but it is brutal). Just to be clear there are carbon and metal versions.

Despite the problems with the locks/connections, I think this is the best value (for graphite) paddle available for a sit on top or sea kayak. The blade generates a ton of power, the shaft is stiff and very light weight

I've owned Werner, Mitchell, Bending Branches and Galasport paddles for both kayak and canoe