Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Saranac 146 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Saranac 146 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 8.25/10 Based On: 8 Reviews

Saranac 146 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Length: 14' 6" - Width: 36.0" - Starting at: $579.99
See More Details about this Canoe
Old Town Canoe Logo

04-17-2014
Submitted by: cycle003Send Email

The Saranac 146 is an OK canoe, especially for casual use, say around the lake cabin. It was pretty comfortable with the molded seats, backrest and cup holders. However, this is not a good tripping boat, nor does it have very good initial stability. We had it loaded with about 450 lbs, and it was pretty much at its limit, despite a reported 750 lb capacity. It was still pretty tippy even when loaded. Also, the one I rented sure seemed heavier than 79 lbs as reported on the Old Town website.

Again, if you just want an inexpensive canoe to tool around with at the cabin, this boat will be fine. Otherwise, look for something with better stability and lines.

04-04-2014
Submitted by: JBSend Email

This is a solid canoe, the best bang for the buck out there. It comes ready with a lot of fishing provisions and is extremely stable. I spend most of my fishing time standing up. I would take this over a fishing kayak any day. It's also great for a day paddling down a river. Fits my cooler and all my gear for the weekend.

08-09-2013
Submitted by: JJCSend Email

The Saranac 146 is a great first canoe for family fun. It's very affordable and spacious. Recently, I had two adults, 2 kids and gear in the canoe on a fishing trip although I wouldn't recommend this on a regular basis. For my son, fishing gear and myself it is perfect.

Made out of polyethelene, I load it onto my minivan myself and it's easy to maintain. I've built a mount and use a trolling motor for saltwater fishing and it's holding up very well. The only drawback so far is the difficulty tracking in windy conditions.

For my purposes, fishing, this is a perfect tandem canoe which has already paid for itself in spades with the memories it has created for me and my children. I am very happy with the versatility of this canoe.

08-08-2013

During our trip to Eagle Lake in ME we used the brand new Saranac 146 canoe. We loaded the canoe for a week of camping, two adults and a dog. We had not trouble maneuvering the canoe with all the weight placed in it. The seats are lower than what we were used to, but we enjoyed paddling with the new high.
We recommend the Saranac no matter what your experience is.

07-29-2013

Nice canoe for the price. Not to heavy to lift solo. Seats are good. Easy to move with two people. Would suggest to anyone looking to get a good canoe for a good price.

07-29-2013

I purchased this canoe from Gander Mtn. and found it to be the most comfortable angling model, that I've ever owned. The Saranac has rod holders, cup holders, very comfortable seats and it handles well in the water too.

Submitted by: mike kendallSend Email

Great boat, but I do not like the middle seat; it gets in the way. The canoe floats lite in the water even with a lot camping stuff. Glad we got the Saranac 146

06-07-2013
Submitted by: Mike

I bought this canoe in May 2012 when it was on sale for 40% off, so that alone makes me very happy. I've operated this vessel in small and large lakes in Colorado without any issues. Hit some large waves last year at Eleven Mile Reservoir during a storm on the last day of our camp. My friend has a 16 ft. Old Town Discovery, both boats heavily weighted down with gear and 2 people in each boat, and handled fine cutting through/ along the waves. We avoided burying our bows, and kept from having too much water flood in over the top. The Discovery tracked slightly better than my Saranac as per the design differences, but the Saranac held up fine.

The seats are very comfortable while paddling, at rest and stationary for at least the first three hours while fishing. I've been out on the water for six hour stretches without any significant comfort problems with the molded seats. Just have to adjust yourself every so often.

Modifications: I removed the center seat and installed a carry yoke from Old Town. This gives me greater floor space for fishing and/ or camping gear, and slightly reduces the weight.. Added pull ropes to the bow and stern. Added para cord guy lines which run under the gunwales the length of the boat (for hooking things to). -I'm thinking about configuring a spray skirt to aid for future storms I get caught out in should we end up driving the nose into the bowel of a wave. 20 years of canoeing, and some blue water sailing and so far have kept afloat, but one never knows.

This canoe has so far proven to be a great workhorse. Easy to handle, great for carrying loads, reasonably quick to start on the water, and tracks pretty good under paddle, and is a stable platform to stand in.

I gave a 9 out of 10 because of my dislike for the center seat. Otherwise, the Saranac 146 is a great canoe, and regardless of on-sale price, there's no doubt in my mind that my money has been very well spent. I would strongly recommend this canoe to anyone.

Aqua-Bound: