Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Saranac 146 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Saranac 146 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 8.71/10 Based On: 21 Reviews

Saranac 146 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Length: 14' 6" - Width: 36.0" - Starting at: $649.99
See More Details about this Canoe
Old Town Canoe Logo

09-04-2014

A great entry level canoe, very affordable, durable, and stable. Easy to maneuver on flat water, not too heavy so it is easy to transport, it has user-friendly features like carry handles, pole holders, water bottle holders and seat storage compartments, making it even more versatile for the recreational paddler. Molded seats and seat backs are very comfortable, but prevent turning around comfortably in the seat. Fun for two or three, but not conducive to use by a single paddler.

09-02-2014

This is a great canoe. Super stable. Bought it to fish and float down the rivers. It's a bit of a tank to get moving but it steers really easily. No problems through the small rapids.

It is hard to move by yourself. Not that it's heavy. Without a thwart its awkward it pick up. The best part is the seats. They are so comfortable. We went on a two day 20 mile fishing trip down a rocky swift river and my back did not hurt at all. Also it's super tough. The river was rocky and the water was a little low and the canoe just got some minor scratches that you would expect. We tagged some rocks on the bottom of it that would have given an aluminum boat a serious dent. All I found when we pulled out were minor scratches. It's slow to move but super stable which makes it perfect for fishing. No problem landing any of the fish we caught.

Over all it's a great boat.

08-27-2014
Submitted by: WoodySend Email

Very satisfied with this canoe. I did have an issue with a seat part breaking but the customer service was great and I had the parts in 4 Days. Very stable and it handles well. I've had a coleman 15' canoe and a browning 17' canoe and now that I'm older I needed something more lightweight and easier to handle. Good canoe.

08-22-2014
Submitted by: RaySend Email

First canoe purchase. Was looking for an all purpose canoe for fishing & pleasure. The Saranac offered the best of both. Adjustable folding back rest seats, cup holders, rod holders, and two storage compartments. The canoe is well made, lite weight, and stable in the water. Overall a great canoe for the money. Would highly recommend this canoe.

08-20-2014

We bought the Old Town Saranac 146 XT canoe several years ago as an inexpensive, beginners canoe. Being frustrated by the lack of rentals while camping, we chose this canoe because of price and size. My wife and I are near retirement, and we wanted a canoe we could load easily. It has been stable and comfortable while paddling. We canoe protected, small lakes, ponds or lagoons.

08-19-2014

I purchased the Old Town Saranac 14-6 this summer to use primarily for lake canoeing. I owned a wood/canvas 17 foot Old Town canoe in my "youth" and spent many enjoyable hours in it. It is now many years later and I wanted to again enjoy the relaxation and peace that comes with canoeing.

The new canoe has been great. It tracks well with either one or two on board. It is very stable and responds well to the canoe stroke. The materials are high quality and construction is superb. The thermoformed polyethylene hull should afford many of years of use. I did a great deal of research and read a lot of reviews and the Saranac kept "floating" to the top of the list. The weight at 80 lbs., though not "light" is manageable.

If you plan on more "intense" canoeing including portaging over distances, you may want to consider the lighter, though more expensive, alternatives. I have devised a simple system to load the canoe by myself so the weight has not been a problem. My son and I took it camping this summer and it performed very well. The seat backs (something the old wood/canvas model never had!) are great and add to the comfort and enjoyment.

Overall, for a reasonably priced, well built, comfortable, recreational use canoe, this is the best!

08-13-2014
Submitted by: DLAINCSend Email

Purchased a few weeks ago at Dicks for $449. It's a good entry canoe. The seats are very comfortable. I took my wife and son out on a calm lake. It's very stable and surprisingly easy to paddle. I used a 240mm kayak paddle too. The canoe is heavy as others have mentioned. I was able to load and unload it by myself using a pair of saw horses and teeter tottering it onto my truck.

For the money, it's a great canoe. If you buy from a big box store, make sure you carefully inspect it. The first one I got had a lot of damage. They also do not properly store canoes so check for warping.

08-11-2014

got ours 2 years ago when we just started canoeing. We like the low center of balance. it rides well and we haven't tipped over yet. Our group kept asking about it and we have 4 of them on our trips now. 1 concern I had was the tips wearing so I had a kevlar skid plate on both ends and that seems to have helped with that. Have used it many times and still are enjoying it.

07-11-2014

As beginner canoe enthusiasts, we are very happy with our decision to purchase the Old Town Saranac 146 canoe. The canoe is 14 ft. 6 in. and weighs 79 lbs. We decided early on that in order to get the most out of it and truly enjoy ourselves, we wouldn't be too overly concerned about scratches, scrapes, etc. We have lived up to that considering our second outing involved nailing a bridge pillar head-on on a Level II river rapid (we did mention "beginner" here!). What felt like major damage ended up being a rough scratch on the bow trim work molding which did not crack or split. Our canoe has also fallen from the top of the SUV onto the road while we were loosening the straps to remove it from the rack. No dents, but some scratches. In short, the polyethylene material is VERY DURABLE!

We are big fans of the adjustable backrests and padded seats. They are easy to adjust by simply adjusting the tension on the cord that wraps around the back of the backrest. This is great when you need to adjust to another position to avoid back fatigue during longer trips. The backrests fold down for storage and transport. There are three molded cup holders, molded bow and stern paddle holders, and a middle seat/storage/cooler console. There are 2 storage compartments in the middle console (which can also serve as a foot rest/stabilizer for the paddler in the stern seat). The larger rectangular compartment, which is a little larger than a drink six-pack, has a flip lid and the second smaller cylindrical compartment has a more secure twist lid (may be watertight, but not certain). The entire console may be removed if desired. At the front of the base of each seat there are additional open storage compartments. The canoe also has molded carrying handles and pre-cut holes to install lighting.

The Saranac 146 is sturdy and feels light on the water. We highly recommend this canoe. We found it on sale two hundred dollars below retail, so for us, big bang for the buck and will pay for itself many times over!! We are looking forward to enjoying it for many years.

07-05-2014

I couldn’t be more pleased with my Old Town Saranac 146 canoe. While shopping for canoes, I was originally looking at the Old Town Guide series canoe simply because I had paddled my father-in-laws older Guide series canoe and been impressed with its stability and ease of handling.

Ultimately my final decision came down to price and features. I was able to get the Saranac 146 for about $100 dollars less than the comparable Guide series. The Saranac has a middle seat that is perfect for my young child and there is still plenty of room in the canoe for our 60 pound dog and gear. As an added bonus the middle seat doubles as a storage compartment. In addition to plenty of storage room, the Saranac 146 has built in rod and cup holders. I've been very pleased with the durability of the canoe. The thermoformed polyethylene construction of my canoe has already survived being dropped in our paved driveway. If my father-in-laws canoe had been dropped I would be patching the fiberglass again.

As happy as I am with the canoe, this review would not be complete without listing the cons. For me the cons weren't a deal breaker, but they are note worthy. The most noticeable con is the form of the canoe. Unlike rigid fiberglass canoes, the Saranac does not have a clean line. When the canoe is out of the water you can notice the bottom of the canoe flexing in around the seats. My other con would be seat design. The front and back seats have small built in storage places which prevent your from paddling in a kneeling position. In my opinion, the storage spaces on the front and back seat aren't very useful and tend to just collect water should you get splashed. I do still find the middle storage compartments extremely useful but they are actual compartments that close. One of them is even a sealed compartment. The lack of a yoke makes carrying the Saranac alone close to impossible and at 80 pounds its not the lightest canoe in the world.

In general, the Saranac 146 is a great weekend warrior canoe, but probably not for your serious paddler. It's a rugged cost effective canoe that has enough room for your family and gear for a day at the lake.

07-03-2014
Submitted by: ScottSend Email

Old Town is well known for quality canoes and the Saranac 146 is no exception. This model can seat 3 with the bow and stern seating having adjustable seat backs making it comfortable to paddle and relax. The canoe is made from thermoformed polyethylene and performs well on the water. It is setup with rod holders and storage bins for fishing (which my son likes) or it can simply be used for recreational canoeing. I have been pleased with this canoe and look forward to years of use.

06-23-2014
Submitted by: DOCSend Email

Great entry level canoe. Lots of great features. Great price. I beat the crud out of this thing and it takes it. It is more stable than most canoes

06-11-2014
Submitted by: Henry E. MeguessSend Email

The Saranac is a great canoe esp for beginning. Mostly flat water. It is a little heavy but paddles well and very stable. My wife and I love it and we are both beginners. It will be our touring boat. I like the storage compartment to.

04-17-2014
Submitted by: cycle003Send Email

The Saranac 146 is an OK canoe, especially for casual use, say around the lake cabin. It was pretty comfortable with the molded seats, backrest and cup holders. However, this is not a good tripping boat, nor does it have very good initial stability. We had it loaded with about 450 lbs, and it was pretty much at its limit, despite a reported 750 lb capacity. It was still pretty tippy even when loaded. Also, the one I rented sure seemed heavier than 79 lbs as reported on the Old Town website.

Again, if you just want an inexpensive canoe to tool around with at the cabin, this boat will be fine. Otherwise, look for something with better stability and lines.

04-04-2014
Submitted by: JBSend Email

This is a solid canoe, the best bang for the buck out there. It comes ready with a lot of fishing provisions and is extremely stable. I spend most of my fishing time standing up. I would take this over a fishing kayak any day. It's also great for a day paddling down a river. Fits my cooler and all my gear for the weekend.

08-09-2013
Submitted by: JJCSend Email

The Saranac 146 is a great first canoe for family fun. It's very affordable and spacious. Recently, I had two adults, 2 kids and gear in the canoe on a fishing trip although I wouldn't recommend this on a regular basis. For my son, fishing gear and myself it is perfect.

Made out of polyethelene, I load it onto my minivan myself and it's easy to maintain. I've built a mount and use a trolling motor for saltwater fishing and it's holding up very well. The only drawback so far is the difficulty tracking in windy conditions.

For my purposes, fishing, this is a perfect tandem canoe which has already paid for itself in spades with the memories it has created for me and my children. I am very happy with the versatility of this canoe.

08-08-2013

During our trip to Eagle Lake in ME we used the brand new Saranac 146 canoe. We loaded the canoe for a week of camping, two adults and a dog. We had not trouble maneuvering the canoe with all the weight placed in it. The seats are lower than what we were used to, but we enjoyed paddling with the new high.
We recommend the Saranac no matter what your experience is.

07-29-2013

Nice canoe for the price. Not to heavy to lift solo. Seats are good. Easy to move with two people. Would suggest to anyone looking to get a good canoe for a good price.

07-29-2013

I purchased this canoe from Gander Mtn. and found it to be the most comfortable angling model, that I've ever owned. The Saranac has rod holders, cup holders, very comfortable seats and it handles well in the water too.

Submitted by: mike kendallSend Email

Great boat, but I do not like the middle seat; it gets in the way. The canoe floats lite in the water even with a lot camping stuff. Glad we got the Saranac 146

06-07-2013
Submitted by: Mike

I bought this canoe in May 2012 when it was on sale for 40% off, so that alone makes me very happy. I've operated this vessel in small and large lakes in Colorado without any issues. Hit some large waves last year at Eleven Mile Reservoir during a storm on the last day of our camp. My friend has a 16 ft. Old Town Discovery, both boats heavily weighted down with gear and 2 people in each boat, and handled fine cutting through/ along the waves. We avoided burying our bows, and kept from having too much water flood in over the top. The Discovery tracked slightly better than my Saranac as per the design differences, but the Saranac held up fine.

The seats are very comfortable while paddling, at rest and stationary for at least the first three hours while fishing. I've been out on the water for six hour stretches without any significant comfort problems with the molded seats. Just have to adjust yourself every so often.

Modifications: I removed the center seat and installed a carry yoke from Old Town. This gives me greater floor space for fishing and/ or camping gear, and slightly reduces the weight.. Added pull ropes to the bow and stern. Added para cord guy lines which run under the gunwales the length of the boat (for hooking things to). -I'm thinking about configuring a spray skirt to aid for future storms I get caught out in should we end up driving the nose into the bowel of a wave. 20 years of canoeing, and some blue water sailing and so far have kept afloat, but one never knows.

This canoe has so far proven to be a great workhorse. Easy to handle, great for carrying loads, reasonably quick to start on the water, and tracks pretty good under paddle, and is a stable platform to stand in.

I gave a 9 out of 10 because of my dislike for the center seat. Otherwise, the Saranac 146 is a great canoe, and regardless of on-sale price, there's no doubt in my mind that my money has been very well spent. I would strongly recommend this canoe to anyone.