Product Reviews > Kayaks > Necky Kayaks > Manitou 146 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Manitou 146 Kayak by Necky Kayaks

Rated: 9.25/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

01-08-2014

Very happy, quality product, nicely rigged. comfortable seat and thigh braces. Straps on hatches are great idea. Glides nice in the calm and can handle rough. high front deck keeps dry no spray skirt required for low angle paddling even in somewhat rough conditions. Seems to edge well. I had it in 20 plus winds heavy chop, handled head wind like champ cut through waves and they would wash out before cockpit so no water coming in 2' plus choppy waves. In heavy down wind I think a rudder would be good, although I was fine.

The cockpit size on the Necky website is wrong so if you buy any accessories don't go by that. Mine measures 36 1/2 inches x 18 inches outside, 35 1/2 x 17 inside

08-08-2013

This is a follow up review not based on first impressions but under more 'normal' conditions. Having used my boat several times on a relatively fast river (the water level up a foot +). It performed well. It tracked well, but tended to veer a little toward the last stroke. On the more aggressive water, class 2 + it didn't turn as quick as I would have liked, but probably not unreasonably for a 14 ft. boat. It did react best to deep, hard forward strokes - not as much to a back paddle.

My only real issue, if that, was that the seat - while very comfortable - was difficult to adjust the back while on the fly . Easy on land, but harder while on the water. Other than that, I highly recommend this kayak.

07-26-2013

This is my first sit inside kayak . I've been using a sit on top for awhile and wanted to expand my annual usage. Finding a Necky Manatou in stock was impossible in the S.E. I finally found this one 120 miles from Atlanta. It was worth the drive!

The seat, the configuration and design were great. I'm 6'1" and 210 - fit very comfortably in the cockpit. I have only used it once on a lake in less than ideal conditions. 15 m/hr winds and lake chop of about 1 ft. It handled about as well as I could expect in the conditions. It tracked pretty well in spite of the wind and chop.

The bottom of the boat had a concave impression when I bought it- they said to put it in the sun for a couple of hours and it would 'pop' out. If we ever have a sunny day again I'll see if that works.

Overall I really like it and once I pop out the bottom and use it in a more civilized outing I'll re-rank it - most likely up!

06-04-2013
Submitted by: StephenSend Email

This boat was made by Old Town as the Cayuga 146 - same company (Johnson Outdoors), same boat, now it's made by Necky; still just as awesome as before. Love it!

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!