Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception Sport > Pescador 10.0 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Pescador 10.0 Kayak by Perception Sport

Rated: 9.45/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

09-03-2014
Submitted by: BMT46

Years back I had a Tarpon 100 before the 2010 models came out with major changes and a truly fine seat. I got a new model Tarpon 100 which I really liked until about a week ago because my yak fishing partner (AKA-wife) did a test drive of it and took permanent possession of it: I did have fond memories of my earlier model Tarpon 100 because the soft front hatch allowed me to fit full sized rods in the hull for travel and the newer model Tarpon 100 does not: yak fishing forums say that the Perception Sport Pescador 10 is in fact the older model Tarpon 100. I looked at one at Academy Sports and purchased it.

The Pescador 10 has some cheaper hardware than the earlier Tarpon 100, but it is for all practical purposes the same yak for half the price. After rigging it up to my satisfaction for fishing off I went to the bay areas in Southwest Louisiana in search of redfish and specks: The yak performed just as I remembered it from earlier days. It is stable, well constructed and pretty quick for a short yak. It tracks straight, glides well and paddles easily. The seat however is essentially pretty bad. I tried an air pad which helped my butt some but the back rest then felt like a kidney punch. I tried foam stadium seats and they helped some, but I could never really get comfortable and my back still hurt.

When I returned home I unbolted the back rest and tossed it in the trash. I had a Crazy Creek III yak seat in my pile of yak stuff in my garage and I set about installing it in the Pescador 10. If you move the seat adjustment strap to the front bolt in the side handle you can fit the Crazy Creek straps right into the Pescador factory strap buckle and adjust the seat. After that modification the little Pescador 10 is extremely comfortable to sit in for long hours and fish or whatever you want to do at the moment. And equally delightful to me is the fact I can put my full length rods in the front hatch.

The Pescador 10 does not come with a hatch cat bag in the little hatch behind the seat like the earlier Tarpon 100 model did: But a quick call to Austin Kayak and they have a cat bag for the earlier Tarpons which drops right in factory perfect for the Pescador 10.

Last, if you are looking for a light weight, well made, grab and go yak for relatively little money as fishing yaks go today the Perception Sport Pescador 10 with inexpensive modifications/additions as described above is very hard to beat.

I have owned many fishing yaks over the years and this little Pescador 10 is one of my favorites for fishing. It does not have a lawn chair for a seat nor does it have a standing platform, tv room or other luxuries become necessities that seem prevalent on today's popular fishing yaks, but it paddles easily, I can lift it solo and launch it, and I catch a lot of fish from it... all for very little money invested. I would buy another Pescador 10 in a heartbeat and make the same inexpensive modifications as describe above. I highly recommend the little Perception Sport Pescador 10 yak.

08-27-2014
Submitted by: FoldMomSend Email

I was fortunate to find a Perception Sport Pescador 10' kayak used in good condition. This kayak turned out to be excellent in terms of durability, stability, tracking, and pure pleasure. So much so that my husband wants to sell his Lifetime Angler and find one like mine. It truly is a great kayak, which is used for both pleasure and fishing. My only complaint is that it's a little heavier than I would like (52 lbs.) since we stack them on top of each other on top of the SUV. But it's manageable even for me at 5'5".

Overall: excellent choice; highly recommend!

08-20-2014
Submitted by: WAR

My first kayak and was worried about how much I would use this little boat. I have never enjoyed fishing or just paddling more in my life. This kayak is as stable as much larger and more expensive models. At 10 feet very easy to transport, get in and out of the water and for a new kayaker to handle in the water. I love this boat

08-10-2014
Submitted by: ALLYNSend Email

I have given this kayak an 8 only because I have not fully tested it yet. I have used it mostly on flat water and it is GREAT. I used it on one river with moderate flow and small rapids, and it also performed great. So far I love this kayak and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good recreational kayak.

07-22-2014
Submitted by: vwbakerSend Email

Took the kayak out for the first time this weekend. I am a big guy. 6'4" and 255 lbs. the kayak handled my weight well. It is very stable on the water. i was able to sit sideways and didn't feel like i was going to tip at all. I will use this for river and lake fishing. 10 foot size is perfect. very happy with the boat.

07-03-2014
Submitted by: JVogelsbergSend Email

The Pescador is an awesome boat. This 10 footer is like a knife cutting the water. You can jump big waves on the lakes, or cut tight turns on the rivers when needed. It doesn't carry much in extra gear, but enough for one or two day trips. Got this for my son, but often want to steal it for myself.

09-14-2013
Submitted by: JACSend Email

Love it for what it is... an entry level, great recreational kayak. You won't win any races with it but you will have lots of fun, great yak for fishing and it will probably last a long, long time. I found the seat to be more than adequate in terms of comfort and it tracks very well for a short boat. My only problem is that I bought it for myself and now the hubby wants to use it all the time...

08-12-2013
Submitted by: aeSend Email

Has a comfortable seat with adjustable back support, two dry seal "hatch" covers, four handles, drain plug, recessed storage area with bungee, rod holder, molded foot rests, cup holder,has an elastic band w/clip to secure your paddle and ample eyelets to secure stuff. A very stable kayak that is excellent for lake and sound fishing.

08-05-2013
Submitted by: MKSend Email

This is an inexpensive kayak that I think is a great place to start if you are getting into kayak fishing and have a short to medium build (and budget). I am 5'7" and 140 lbs. and have used this kayak on rivers, rapids, calm water, saltwater bays and open surf. I think it is a great all around kayak for people who need to haul fishing equipment but maybe not need tons of space.

As far as bang for your buck I think this is an excellent choice for a fishing kayak. The seat is comfortable and it is made of high quality material. It's not as fast as a 12' or longer kayak but that also makes it easier for loading and unloading as well as storage. Some people don't like molded footing areas but I actually prefer them as you can stretch your legs back and forth easily without reaching down to adjust foot pegs.

Please remember, a lot of what is good about a kayak comes from personal preference so please try one out whenever possible before making a decision.

07-27-2013

I have had my Pescador 10 for about a year now. This is a very stable boat and I do not think you can flip it sitting down. This is my go to summer boat of the two that I own. It is stable enough to have your child paddle with you. One note is that it would not be my go to boat in early spring or late fall due to the fact that if you don't plug the scupper holes you will get wet.

All in all, I do love this kayak. It is a very solid boat.

05-08-2013

I'm really a fan of the Perception Sport kayaks. I have 2 of the Pescador 10s, 2 Rambler 9.5s, and a Perception Search. I've replaced 2 Hobie kayaks with the Pescadors and like them much better. They seem to be made well and are good quality for the price. Our vacation guests say they really enjoy using these kayaks and I've taken it out several times for test cruising and snorkeling. Its easier to handle than the larger Search.

This kayak has a lot of features found on more expensive yaks and is comfortable and stable for being 10' long, 29" wide. It has the Perception Comfort Seating System, like on my more expensive Search; 2 hatches, and a deep well with bungees. It also has 4 nice carrier handles (not molded ones) and a paddle keeper bungee. At around 50 lbs., I can't lift it up alone to put back on its deck rack, but I can slide it into the water and pull it back out again easily.

I'd highly recommend this kayak, especially if you can buy it for around $450. The reason I didn't give it a 10 instead of a 9 is because the hatches go all the way through the hull and anything placed in them can't be grabbed out quickly. The hatches are not convenient and I most likely will never use them unless I buy some hatch bags.