Product Reviews > Kayaks > Feelfree Kayak, USA > Moken 12.5 Angler Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Moken 12.5 Angler Kayak by Feelfree Kayak, USA

Rated: 9.33/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

08-04-2014
Submitted by: JASend Email

So my girlfriend and I just purchased two of these and all we can say is very pleased! We went to the SOBX on our first trip with them and paddled some creeks. These kayaks track well, performs well on efficiency meaning they coast pretty well. I was able to stand up with no issues and even sling my cast net to catch bait and pole around in the flats. I dared my girlfriend to stand up and she took on the bet, with no issues she popped right up and poled around as well. Soooo I lost. But on the other hand, I won because we are planning our next trip.

the track bar plugs in and works like a champ. The wheel in the keel works awesome as we unloaded them off my truck, and rolled them to the loading ramp with no issues on pavement into some packed gravel into the water. For handling wake, we only encountered a few boat wake approx 1 ft. and it performed well. The seats were very comfortable as we stayed on them for around 3 hours with no toosh discomfort. Storage is nice and not to forget the rod holders come with tether hooks pre-installed so I don't have to!

All in all, if anyone were to ask me what to consider for a fishing sit on top, I wouldn't recommend any other kayak than the Feel Free Moken 12.5

07-16-2014

The Moken 12.5 has been a pleasure to use and I like it more each time I take it out.
If you've looked into the Moken then you know about the molded in handles, wheel in the keel, uni-track, kingfisher seat and the other main points from the FeelFree sight and sales material.

Here's my take:
Molded handles - large, firm, comfortable to use and make great tie-down points when strapping to a truck bed or trailer
Wheel in the keel - Not as good as a kayak cart but not bad either. It does not work good in soft terrain, loose gravel, sand, mud. Also keep in mind this is a single wheel, anything out of balance and the yak will tilt to one side. To avoid the tilt use it like a wheelbarrow, push it where you're going if possible or double grip it and walk backwards with it.
Unitrack - You can move the rod holder forward when paddling to get it out of way. I have also used them for trolling. Pushed forward enough to get the rod out of the way but still be able to get to the rod for a strike in time to set the hook. It also seems wobbly but so far has not been an issue and is strong enough.

The Kingfisher seat is very comfortable, sat it if for 6 hours straight without fatigue or pain. Is a new boat for me, have had for 4 months, but the quality of the seat looks like it will last a long time.

I have the rudder option on my boat. I don't use it often the boat holds a good line, the hull design and the wheel in the keel help without the rudder. I drop the rudder usually when fishing in current or wind to keep my hands free and control my drift. I also like the rudder when trolling to help with a slower gradual turn again, usually taking advantage of currents.

The Moken is very stable. I am able to reach the very back of the well behind me, and though I haven't tried yet, since I havenít needed to. I am certain I can get to the front hatch as well.
The back tank well is huge it will hold a regular crate or a rectangular crate with room to spare.

You will be hard pressed to find something to complain about the Moken. I fish freshwater and have had this on lakes and slow rivers nothing over a Class I with this kayak, yet.

07-03-2014

This is a great fishing kayak. Lots of useful features and a very comfortable seat! It's also very sea worthy, had it in 4 footers in the Bay of Fundy and it rode them like a champ.

05-22-2014
Submitted by: MCWSend Email

The Moken 12.5 is my second Kayak and I would hands down recommend it to anyone who kayak fishes in freshwater and saltwater. There are days where I do both in a single day, fishing for red drum in the morning and large mouth bass in the evening. It took some getting used to but I stand and fish all the time. It tracks well in big water bays and in lakes.

I can't say enough about the wheel in the keel as it is EASY to transport, even when you have to pull it 30 yards to the launch site.

10 out of 10 for me. There are a ton of great yaks out on the market but the Moken is a SOLID buy.

05-13-2014
Submitted by: DAVE Send Email

I am going to give the Feelfree Moken 12.5 a 10. It is light, fits in the back of my pickup truck; wheel in the keel is an great feature - no need for kayak cart. handles on the side and front and rear; tracks well without rudder; smooth glide and turning. Great track system for your scotty mount. stable feel only one paddle banged the rod holder and lost my balance - oh well had to get my baptism for the new kayak practice maybe perfect and the kingfisher seat is deluxe. Thanks Feelfree, you thought of it all.

03-14-2013
Submitted by: Tom Reilly Send Email

Fit and Finish:
I was very struck right away by the fit and finish of the boat. Every fitting is made with stainless screws, or a stainless rod instead of pop rivets. The attachment points are recessed into the boat and handles are part of the molded body of the kayak. There is a wheel in the back of the boat as part of the keel to help move the boat to the water or to the car.

The next thing that made me exclaim "nice!" was the Kingfisher seat. This seat is well padded with a padded riser under the seat to give the best angle for your lower body to paddle all day. It is thermoformed with stainless screws that attach the straps to the seat. This is the first seat that I have ever seen with screws.

Just in front of the seat, there is a new standing platform with a pad. I was able to stand up with no problem on the lake and make a few casts to test it out. There are supposed to be scupper holes under the platform but I could not tell. Under the seat, there are two scupper holes with optional plugs. I believe the seat is plenty high for a dry ride to not need the plugs. In the ocean, I would recommend taking the plugs out if you decide to use them on flat water. The primary stability of the boat is very good as well as the secondary stability. This was not what I was expecting. So it was another bonus.

The hatch just in front of you is a long hatch with a rubber lock on a hinge in the back. You can open it from where you are seated and have access to a 6" deep well for tackle, water, food etc. There are two buckle straps that can be put over the hatch if you are coming in for a rough landing or just want to keep stuff dry. I would not trust just the rubber latch to keep things in the hatch in rough water or launching or landing through surf. The prototype video from OR mentions that you could cut out the bucket and create a rod storage area. The hatch seems a bit short for that but I would consider doing it or see if anyone else has done this. Ocean Kayak has had great results with its "rod pod" in kayak storage.

The front hatch has a unique three lock system that keeps it tight and dry. Even after rolling the boat over 3 times from the shore, the boat was dry on the inside. Behind the seat is also a unique 6" round hatch. It can be easily accessed with a milk crate strapped in, however it took a bit to get it just right to close. I would also like to see a mesh hatch bag on the inside to keep things in its place.

The wheel comes in handy because with all of the hardware the boat can seem heavy to carry by one person. The wheel is makes it so you do not have to carry it but lift and walk with the kayak. My paddling partner and I had no problem carrying the boat using the molded in side handles rather than a bow and stern toggle.

Some of the other features that I appreciated was the rigging for an additional rudder. The cable openings are already in place. The rudder looks like the post style that just drops in. The foot braces need to be changed out for the Smart Track rudder to work. One of the features about this rudder system is that the foot pegs stay in place and the rudder is controlled by the toe plate. Even though the boat is made overseas in Thailand, the boat is well made and has all the right things most kayak fisherman are looking for.

Overall, this is a great kayak for anyone who wants to fish. There are more details about this boat that add to the value of the $1099 price tag but these were the major ones that really stuck out. On a 1-10 scale I would give the Moken 12.5 made by Feel Free kayaks a 9.5.