Product Reviews > Kayaks > Pygmy Boats > Pinguino 145 4PD Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Pinguino 145 4PD Kayak by Pygmy Boats

Rated: 9.33/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

Pinguino 145 4PD Kayak by Pygmy Boats

Length: 14' 6" - Width: 25.50" - Starting at: $1059.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Pygmy Boats Logo

09-17-2014

I borrowed a Pinguino 145 at Newport. I could carry it myself with one hand and the paddle in the other. Tracks well and looks good. Skirt had trouble staying put but that may be more a factor of the age of the skirt. Fit me well at 215 lbs and 5'10" but may not be OK for bigger guys.

07-03-2014

The Pygmy Pinguino 145 is a joy to build and paddle. On still water it performs and looks amazing. At 6'1" and 220 pounds and being 57 years young ... it is a little effort to get my big feet pulled up enough to get them in the cockpit! Once in I have plenty of room for my size 13's. I am amazed at how fast it accelerates and how straight it tracks. And the glide is unbelievable! I used a marine varnish and 303 Aerospace Protectant to make it even slicker on the water. It turns well and with the rigging and hatch kits there is plenty of room for lunch, safety gear, water, coffee. I have done paddle float self rescues and the Pinguino 145 is easy enough to get back in. I have experimented with different seats and have gone back to the stock Pygmy Boats seat. It works the best with a Spray skirt. I am using a backpackers pad in the bottom of the boat for added comfort. I am new to kayaking and sit inside kayaks. I am a little unnerved paddling laterally across waves. I expect with experience I will learn the boats limits and become more comfortable with that rolling action. The biggest joy, besides all the wonderful comments of praise, is how well it glides. I was paddling behind my grown son the other day. He was in the Pygmy Pinguino145, I was in my Ocean Kayak Trident Prowler 13. I had to dig hard to keep up with his casual paddling. And when he stopped and glided, I had to keep paddling o keep up with him! It is an amazing boat and I would highly recommend it.

11-20-2012
Submitted by: Oona Send Email

just had my Pinguino finished for me. Builder did a bang up job. Have Osprey 13 and LOVE her. Getting slightly larger boat for copaddlers who are larger than I am. Also wanted a very STABLE boat with good handling characteristics. Pygmy delivers the goods.

Used the strapless hatch system from CLC (bungee cords inside hatches instead of straps on the outside). Not sure how they will perform in heavy waves, but we will see. Also tried inlaying fabric on the hatches, to match my Swift paddle. This turned out amazingly well the hatches really pop on the deck and look great. topped it off with Graphite bottom (less work needed when you re-finish boat varnish etc -ditto for strapless hatches).

All in all a gorgeous boat, and lots of head turning going on when she's car-topped. Maybe I'll get an Arctic Tern 14 next - with a matching paddle / hatch inlay, LOL!