Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wilderness Systems > Ride 115 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Ride 115 Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Rated: 8.67/10 Based On: 15 Reviews

Ride 115 Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Length: 11' 6" - Width: 33.00" - Starting at: $905.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Wilderness Systems Logo

11-14-2014
Submitted by: JamesSend Email

The Ride 115x is an awesome kayak. The only issue with it is the weight. It's hard for me to load into my truck. In the water it can't be beat.

10-16-2014
Submitted by: James GoodeSend Email

I went for the Ride 115x. Installed a decent Lowrance Fish finder on it. Well pleased with the performance of the boat. Only issue is the weight. Very heavy. Tracks well, stable enough to stand up, tons of storage, well designed for fishing. Would definitely recommend this product and wouldn't hesitate to purchase again.

09-03-2014
Submitted by: Mitchell GriffinSend Email

I have fished out of several kayaks, the Ride 115 being the most stable one I've fished from. The Ride 115 has plenty of room for the rider and a comfortable seat which slide forward and backwards to adjust the weight of the kayak when packed for camping. I've been through some pretty rough rapids and the Ride 115 is like a tank. Actually very much like a tank so that its slower than I prefer. I fish with buddies that have Jackson Coosa and I find it hard to keep up with them while fishing.

The Ride 115 will hold up to 500lbs which is another plus when going on our camping trips but I find the front hatch is somewhat smaller than I like it's hard to pack my gear on the inside which is very spacious but the size of the opening makes it difficult to put what I need in it. The back storage area has plenty of room to strap down a cooler and dry bag.

Overall I'm very pleased with the Ride 115. Would love to see the minor improvements that I mentioned. I would have rated it a 10 if it wasn't for the Ride 115 being one of the slower kayaks on the water and the small door/hatch in the front for storage.

08-29-2014

My brother bought two Ride 115 kayaks by Wilderness. I paddled one on the Gasconade River in Missouri a couple weeks ago. This is a great boat. Super stable.. Love the adjustable seat. My only complaint is the weight. At over 75 pounds it is hard to lift onto the top of a van or pickup by myself.

The boat tracks very well and has plenty of room. The seating position is high which is great for fishing, but probably catches more wind than my Tarpon.

07-24-2014

This kayak is great for heavier kayakers. I'm 330lbs and it is a dry ride as far as the scupper holes go. The cockpit stays dry, but there is some water that comes through the scupper holes there. The seat is somewhat comfortable, but could be improved. The kayak is very stable, and you can stand up in it if you are daring. I would buy this kayak again if I had to do it all over again.

07-02-2014

If you're looking for a stable fishing machine this kayak is it! Whenever I'm in my Ride 115 I'm amazed at how secure I feel in the water . . . which lets me concentrate on fishing instead of balancing. There's lots of storage space for gear, including two sealable hatches into the hull and one bungie corded rear compartment behind the seat, perfect for a cooler or large tackle box. The seat is fully adjustable and it's easy to find a comfortable position, and the kayak is so stable you can even hang your legs over the side to cool off when necessary. I'd buy it again with no questions!

08-12-2013

I've had my Wilderness Systems Ride 115 angler for about 6 mos. I am almost totally satisfied with it. It has tons of storage, with 2 dry hatches and a storage well behind that seat (where I keep my tackle box). The seat is very comfortable for long hours on the water fishing, and is adjustable... front to back and the seat back goes up and down. It has very good rod storage, with 1 Scotty rod holder and 2 flush mount rod holders.

The Ride 115 is easy to propel and tracks very straight. My one complaint is that it is very heavy. At 78 pounds it is difficult to launch by myself, but a pair of dolly wheels may make that easier?

This is my first kayak, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. It is very stable... I've tried standing up in it, but have not yet mastered that skill. I'd give it a 9 out of 10, all in all a very good fishing kayak.

08-05-2013

Great Kayak. Just got back from a 6 mile float with it. I know that doesn't sound long, but it was on a crowded float stream. There were a ton of rafts with drunks everywhere. Unfortunately there was no fishing, but the Ride 115 handled like a dream. It took to the water with a nice glide and exceptional mobility considering its girth. I carried the provisions for the other two people that were rafting. Obviously they couldn't keep up with me, so I did a lot of upstream paddling to meet up with them. The Ride was excellent. I didn't give it a 10 because it was so crowded at the bends and turns (rafts bottlenecking) that I could not really run it through the full paces. I would highly suggest a serious look at this kayak!!!!

07-25-2013
Submitted by: Lewis

Bought 2012 Wilderness Systems Ride 115 in Feb 2012.
    Pros:
  • Stable enough to stand up and fish in
  • Very stable in rough water
  • Large trunk space behind seat for storage
  • Very comfortable seat
  • Large hatch on nose of kayak for under-hull storage
  • Convenient hatch between paddler's legs for easy access to under-hull storage
  • Kayak tracks well on flat water, turns very tight in river currents, and is generally very maneuverable.
  • Has optional raised seat to reduce pain in legs on long trips.
  • Seat adjusts very easily.
  • Rubber piece on back of kayak so dragging doesn't damage the hull, rubber can be replaced due to wear.

Cons:

• Trunk is molded with a curvature that make sit hard to find a cooler that fits well in the space.
  • Heavy

07-24-2013

After owning my 2011 Ride 115 for about a year now, I can finally write a review. I have both the hi and low seats for the boat and it's rigged for fishing.

Pros: it is super stable, it's easy to stand and fish, has a weight capacity of a barge, and tracks well. I trust the boat in the biggest of waves and with inside storage I know my gear is safe. Did I mention that rod and reels can be stored inside the hull, that's a huge bonus.

Cons: It is heavy, with the shape of the hull and weight there's no way I could car top it like my Native Ultimate.

If it weren't for the weight and I was limited to only one kayak in my fleet, this would be it. It has awesome storage capacity, a comfy high seat, stable, tracks well, and in general a very well thought out design.

Final thought, I put it in the same category as a Native Slayer, but it's a good bit cheaper with more storage for your gear!

06-27-2013
Submitted by: AKKSend Email

As a 305 lb whale of a paddler, I can assure those of you who are also a bit bulky that this boat is amazingly stable.
This, as far as I'm concerned, is the fat guy boat of choice. This boat paddles well (you won't win many races for speed) and tracks pretty well for such a short boat. It's a tad bit bulky and heavy to transport for one person without a cart for any real distance but the stability, comfort, and paddleability (I'm positive that is a word) make it well worth the extra pounds.

06-12-2013

My high seat broke before I got it on the water. The bottom plastic tray cracked from leaning forward. I ended up putting a rubber bottom on it so it would bend. The rest of the boat is good.

02-28-2013
Submitted by: JB

Just got back from 3 days on the St. Johns River in Astor, FL with the Ride 115 with the new high seat. What a difference that seat makes! In my last review I could only manage about 3 hours before my back & legs gave out, but with the new high seat 6 plus hours was no problem at all. The seat is still not as comfortable as the Native Ultimate, but it is a lot better than the low seat. The higher sitting position does not affect the stability of the ride. The only down side is the weight, but I remove the seat when loading & unloading. I am looking forward to checking out the new Native Slayer, mainly due to the seat, but I am really enjoying the Ride with the new high seat!!

10-31-2012
Submitted by: JBSend Email

I've had the Ride 115 for a couple months now and must say it is a very stable fishing platform. It paddles extremely well for its size. The only complaints are the weight, which I am getting used to, and the seat. I can only manage about three hours before my back gives out. I guess I am spoiled by my Native Ultimate seat, I can fish from it all day with no back pain. Now if I could get my Native seat to fit the Ride!!!!

10-01-2012

My son recently got the family into kayaking. We were fortunate that friends allowed us to borrow a few of their then 14 kayaks (the family has grown). We got a good feel for what would work and what wouldn't. My son picked a Tarpon 140 for his personal boat. I bought a Pescador 12 through Ebay and my wife claimed it as her own. I had the opportunity to pick a Tarpon 120 or the Ride 115 and went with the Ride. The Pescador 12 and Tarpon 120 are very close and I thought something a little different would fit the bill.

I find the Ride is built very solidly. It offers an extremely stable ride with lots of space for an afternoon at the beach or paddling in the mangroves. It is heavy, but once in the water that is not a major factor. It's width to length means that it is usually a little slower than other boats of similar capabilities.

I am contemplating purchase of a carbon shaft 250cm paddle to maximize performance. The seat is very comfortable and accommodates my 6' 210lb frame very well. The hatches offer excellent access to below deck storage space that adds to the versatility of the Ride.

Overall a very well built boat that offers a lot of paddling pleasure.

Rendezvous River Sports