Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Prodigy II 14.5 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Prodigy II 14.5 Kayak by Perception

Prodigy II 14.5 Kayak by Perception

Length: 14' 6" - Width: 31.25" - Starting at: $1019.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Perception Logo

07-27-2013
Submitted by: RDR Send Email

Wanted to try kayaking but was concerned as I was @320lbs. Found this site and checked out reviews of tandems available to rent. So my nine year old daughter and I climbed into a 14.5 Prodigy II and began to paddle.

Wow...heck of a lot easier than a canoe! My seat was comfortable and the cockpit more than wide enough for my 6'2" frame. At this leg space was ample between mine and the front seat. First time kayakers....we soon fell into a nice rhythm.

The yak is lower to the than a canoe and at no time did we take water over the side or rock too far side to side in the wakes of the tour boats (no wake area on Chicago River). Stability was great and tracked nicely once we got in sync with our paddling stroke. Eventually my nine year old got tired and we stowed her paddle.

I solo paddled the 1.5 miles back to the launch in this tandem...and enjoyed doing it the whole way. The extra length of the boat and weight up front and this continued to track better than the solos I was seeing waddle around in the river.

I recommend this yak to anyone with a family...especially small kids that may not paddle for the whole outing. As for my size...not squeezing into something that was too small for me was way cool. I've lost 40 lbs since that first outing last year and tried other yaks. I won't hesitate to buy this model when the right price comes along.

07-25-2013

my friend rented on of these and it was easier to paddle than my Pungo. It tracked well and easily carried two people and all the "stuff". If I thought I could always find someone to go with me I would buy one...

09-20-2012

I wanted a Rec boat that was not a sit on top. After doing the research I chose this one. I got it with the rudder from ACK for a good deal. Love it.

It has nice lines and color. I chose the one that was a double fade Red to Mango and it came Triple Fade Red to Yellow to Mango, nice. The seats looked so very comfortable and they are... large, well padded and there is even a behind-the-thigh support adjustment. The system for sliding the front seat back and for moving the rudder foot control forward for a single paddler is awesome and easy to use. The boat is so much faster than a SOT which is what I was looking for. It can carry a ton of gear for camping trips. It tracks well without the rudder. The rear compartment is large and stays dry. Its not too long or heavy. It has a sacrificial drag block at the end of the keel which is a great idea and saves the boat lots of damage and me lots of stress.

It's a 10 out of 10 for a plastic tandem 14.5' boat.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports