Product Reviews > Canoes > Pelican International > Pelican 15.5 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Pelican 15.5 Canoe by Pelican International

Rated: 7.86/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

Pelican 15.5 Canoe by Pelican International

Length: 15' 6" - Width: 37.0" - Starting at: $479.99
See More Details about this Canoe
Pelican International Logo

02-27-2014
Submitted by: CoreyRSend Email

Not the best but certainly a good boat. The Pelican 15.5 is the first canoe I have ever owned. I have used canoes my whole life, I am 44, but this is the first one I have actually purchased and I got it used from a Boy Scout troop which was disbanding.

When I got the Pelican my daughter was a teen, living at home and I had a 75 pound Chocolate Lab who went with me everywhere. My daughter is now 23 and in the Coast Guard, she plays with slightly larger boats, and my dog died Christmas Eve so it is just me.

This is a bit of a big boat for one person. I cannot haul it in the bed of my truck and it is a challenge to get it over the roof of my truck and secured by myself so I am getting a kayak. That said, I am keeping the Pelican, for when family visit or my daughter is home, because it is an excellent canoe for what it is intended.

It tracks well, is easy to paddle, hauls a good payload, is stable and will take a beating from a load of teenagers. My one problem is the same as everyone else, the seats. I am a disabled vet with metal pins in my leg, I have gained a bit of weight... I'm fat, 'nuff said. These seats did not cut it. The thin strip of plastic, between the mounting strip and the seat, tore completely off on the rear seat, dumping me, rather unceremoniously, on my butt while taking a trip down the James River. The middle seat is headed that way.

I have found that stainless steel corner brackets, the long ones, some self tapping screws a few nuts and bolts (with silicon seal) and a little work with a drill can make the broken seats quite solid again. I also painted my brackets and screw/bolt heads to match the seats/canoe hull.

The one caution I will give, as to the use of this boat is this, it is wide enough that you need to be careful in your load plan. I often use the canoe as a "base boat" for a group of friends with kayaks and smaller canoes. We put a good sized cooler, bait, maybe a couple of tackle boxes, lunches, and assorted other stuff into the 15.5 footer. If I am not careful in the loading, I will wind up tipped to one side or the other and the thing will track in a circle. I also had to watch my dog for the same reason. 75 pounds of Lab, switching from starboard to port, can really mess up the balance of the canoe.

Having said that, The Pelican handles anything we have thrown at it including being way overloaded.
I like it.

07-29-2013

It's a good boat has a lot of flex to it. The bar in it moves over time. I would buy again... only if it was on sale.

07-25-2013

I bought this canoe 5 months ago and I could not be happier that I did. Well made, tracks well and is only 80 lbs. My girlfriend and I love it. I had read a few reviews that said most people had problems with the seats but that is not the case here. Bass Pro Shops put it together and they did a great job! I would buy this product again and I tell all my friends what a great canoe this is.

09-28-2012

ok i gave a review on my 15.5 (see below) and i still love the boat, but i hate prefab stuff. i had the rear seat break loose and contacted pelican. they sent me a new seat under warranty and got it yesterday. i am still exhausted from putting that darn thing in. the good thing was the redesign of the seat as it bolts to the inside of the boat was an improvement,but still it looks weak. they put flanges on the corners of the seat. when i removed the old seat and put the new down in place it was 4 inches too narrow. i guess it had spread some. i bolted one side then stood the canoe on it's side. with my son's help, to push down on the side and line the holes up was one ugly wrestling match. we finally got both bolts in and secure. i know proper tools such as a pipe clamp would've helped but shouldn't require a special tool. as long as the seat holds...ok. as they put the holes on the corners of the seat it's just a small tab that looks like it could break easily. plus the seat is different from the others and looks odd. i knocked them down a little on my rating but...if you use it, things happen.

09-20-2012

I was looking at kayaks at Academy Sports, actually for exercise after congestive heart failure when I saw this canoe. What swayed me was at times having someone with me and the price. Academy's price on the Pelican 15.5 was at least $200 less than anywhere at $279. I was totally new to canoes and was wanting it to fish the banks at the landings.

I have been very pleased with it and had a lot of fun adding on to it and fishing from it. I made a transom and added a minnkota c2 trolling motor, a hummingbird depth finder and other small add ons. As for the Pelican 15.5 canoe itself, it's Ram-X like Coleman and, other than the seats, I see no problems. The seats however on the sides have a tab that folds up and bolts to the canoe. between the seat and tab is just a thin strip of plastic. what makes this bad is they don't secure the pedestal to the floor and it can move just enough to cause a tear in the thin plastic. in 3 mo. my seat was torn completely lose and I'm avg. build at 6', 185. I've ordered a new seat under warranty and added small 1 1/2 in. L's from the pedestal to the floor. there is a tube in the bottom so i didn't put a hole in the bottom.
Other than that, for the money I love the boat.

09-12-2012

I'm new to canoes and bought my first this past spring, a Pelican 15.5. I knew little about any but it appeared to be a quality product, but the seats are a disappointment to me. on the end of the seat is an ear that bolts to the side of the boat. the seat is molded plastic and the ear is connected to the seat by a thin strip which isn't 1/16 of an inch thick and has some flex to it. the pedestal though isn't secured to anything and sit on the front edge and the pedestal moves back on the floor. sit on the back edge and it moves to the front. what happened to mine was on the edge of the ear it was so thin it started to tear. i have taken metal L's used for shelves and put one in front and rear of each pedestal, that prevents the bottom from moving which keeps the tear from starting. it should have been secured to start with.

07-14-2011

I've had a Pelican 15.5 for a couple of years now and it is great. I keep it down by the lake and use it a couple of times a week in season. I have brought it for three day excursion on the DE River, paddling in ME and the ADKS.

It's stable, I can paddle freely, fish and even bring my wife and 2 year son on it. I put Gander Mt seats with backs over the molded seats, it carries a good amount of gear and is maneuverable. I recommend it for anyone with a family or anyone who is using it for lakes and calmer rivers.

Rendezvous River Sports