Product Reviews > Kayaks > NuCanoe > Frontier 12 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Frontier 12 Kayak by NuCanoe

Rated: 9.4/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

Frontier 12 Kayak by NuCanoe

Length: 12' 0" - Width: 41.00" - Starting at: $1179.00
See More Details about this Kayak
NuCanoe Logo

04-17-2014

Let me start by saying I'm not your typical kayaker... I'm more the size of the typical offensive lineman, about 6'7" and 330 lbs, and very top heavy. I wanted a kayak rated for at LEAST 500 lbs, which really left me with fewer than 10 real choices. Before I purchased this, I test paddled the Wilderness ride 135, OK Stealth 14, and the Diablo Adios.

The Frontier is rated for 650 lbs. 400lbs dry without scupper plugs, so mine are essentially permanently installed. But that's misleading... The seat bases aren't that strong. I had to buy a "rigid" seat base (list price $75 but manufacturer gave discount when I complained) to support my greater weight. Kind of upset me that they didn't mention this fact.
I have a jon boat seat mounted.

Now, obviously... The strength of this is stability. Even with my tonnage, and riding with my butt 10" over the floor, it's not tippy at all. But what is surprising is that it is NOT as slow as you would expect. Granted, it's not going to win any races, but you should be able to keep up with your companions in other fishing kayaks.

Tracking is very good. Storage is very good... It's essentially a big open deck. It has a hatch with a dry bag with a way into the hull, and a "gear track" system that accepts yakattack mounts... I see no reason to ever drill into the hull.

I have a second seat base that I can take a "normal" sized person out with me. I haven't used it yet.

The downside is the weight. That 74 lbs they talk about is with no seat bases... You put a seat base, a rod holder, and a job boat seat on this, and we're pushing 100 lbs. I am strong enough to car top this on a Ford Escape, but I don't think that's something most people would choose to do. You also need a cart to move this. It's just too heavy.

Summary:
A good kayak for king sized paddlers or tandem usage. Tracks well. Very stable. Very friendly for stand up fishing. Not fast (not slow, but definitely not fast). Very heavy.

07-29-2013
Submitted by: PaulSend Email

The NuCanoe Frontier 12 is an excellent fishing platform. I have fished from it solo as well as with my wife using the adjustable seating. The Frontier 12 is extremely stable to fish from allowing for beginner mistakes as well as allowing for standing to cast for the experienced angler.

The Frontier 12 is not the fastest fishing kayak, but it tracks very well whether you're moving upstream or out on a wind swept lake. I previously owned a small canoe and I am much more confident and comfortable in the Frontier 12.
I love my Frontier 12 from NuCanoe.

01-14-2013

I live in the central Florida's east coast known as space center - walking distance to Indian river and less than three miles of banana river NMZ. For saltwater fishing this is like a free ticket to heaven. Half a day off and I am on the river. Rain or sun, who cares it. A bad day fishing I never had.

So I got my Nucanoe after a long research and a test drive. I am really surprised with its stability and comfort (the Frontier 12). I fish alone but I love to have my boys with me when they are home. Last week I cast my 7ft net and it felt like I was on the solid grounds as long as I spread my legs properly.

I can walk up and down my kayak and yes, it's not the fastest but I am in no hurry either. As the matter of facts I only carry the necessities and don't believe in rigging with permanent holes in my kayak. My transport cart and a truck bed extender and my Toyota Tacoma is all I need to go where I need to. the only thing I suggest is a long paddle maybe an eight footer.

01-07-2013

This is a stable, heavy, slow and surprisingly flexible boating system. I with swivel seats but hated them. The seat bases flexed so I sold them and got elite seats which are way better for comfort. The boat is not perfect because it is fairly slow but if you're not in a hurry then it may not matter for you. I've had my boat for 5 months now and I believe it was a good purchase. My 5 year old kid loves the boat. We catch fish in the lakes nearby. This thing can be rigged up anyway you want and has lots of storage. For lake fishing and maybe close to shore salts this is a good boat. Ok on calm rivers too...

08-03-2012

I was looking for a kayak/canoe that I could use for fishing, crabbing or as a recreational kayak in a tandem configuration. The Nucanoe Frontier fits the bill. I do not believe there is a more versatile kayak/canoe on the market today.

Another big selling point was its stability. The secondary stability of this boat is unbelievable. I have seriously tried to flip it over to figure out where the limits were - WITHOUT any success. I stood in it, walked around on it and never felt unsafe. Keep in mind that this was my first time in a kayak in over 30 years.

This should lead one to the conclusion that it is a lumbering barge - Not at all! The Frontier tracks beautifully and is surprisingly fast. I have paddled it by myself with an injured passenger on board for 6 miles on the lake with no problems. It has a load capacity of 650lbs and my wife has loaded it up to the point that an onlooker asked: Are you sure its a kayak and not a houseboat?

Although I still don't know if its a kayak or a canoe - I would have given it an 11 on here if they let me.

Talic: