Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Triumph 13.0 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Triumph 13.0 Kayak by Perception

Rated: 8.38/10 Based On: 8 Reviews

Triumph 13.0 Kayak by Perception

Length: 13' 5" - Width: 29.50" - Starting at: $719.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Perception Logo

07-11-2014
Submitted by: RodgerSend Email

Just bought my new Triumph 13 after using my Malibu 2 XL for solo and tandem trips. The Triumph is very fast compared to the Malibu but is still very stable. It has moulded carry handles which makes the kayak very easy to car top on my own. It is very hard for a beginner to control in windy conditions, that said it has forced me to investigate and practice better paddling techniques and now I find it far easier to manage. It is a great boat for fishing too and has all the storage space you could need.

07-05-2014
Submitted by: J WisemanSend Email

Having only tried out a handful of kayaks before I purchased my Triumph 13 I was buying a little blind. Since having it I've found it very stable. Quick but yet maneuverable. The only down side I've found is that it can be hard to control in a strong current/side wind. I've just had rudder fitted which I hope will resolve this. That said, it is only a little draw back and generally in very happy with this boat. Light enough for me to easily manage on my own and plenty of storage space. I would highly recommend this boat.

09-07-2013

Firstly, this is the first SOT I've owned, though I have had experience of Ocean Kayak's Malibu 2. I very much like the Triumph. It's got a great lively feel to it - not so much primary stability as the Malibu 2, but with great secondary stability, which means I can edge it. This comes in handy with cross and tail winds and especially surf.

In a headwind, and into surf, I find the boat is great. It really cuts the water. It's got great storage - a really big rear well and impressive storage hold in the front. Bringing it in through surf was at first tricky. As soon as it's hit by a breaker in the surf zone, it will swing, but all it needs is an edge into the face of the wave, and it will slide beautifully up onto the shingle. I find it weathercocks a lot with a following wind, more than the Malibu 2, but not much. Again, edging seems to sort this out.

Child seat - I've had my daughter out with me, and it's kind of useful for that, but it does disturb my paddle stroke somewhat. I find it actually better for her to sit in the rear well. This also seems to solve the weather-cocking problems. The main thing I like though is its manoveurability. I can turn it really quickly, which is very helpful in choppier seas.

All in all for me, a great kayak, though again, I've only got the Malibu 2 to compare it to.

07-17-2013
Submitted by: Eirikur Thor TheodorssonSend Email

I like the Triumph very much. Because my family live next to the beach in Iceland. And I really love fishing. There is very much space in the luggage compartments and also good storage for your catch. But he's heavy and difficult to steer.

07-05-2013

So I've owned and paddled a fairly wide variety of boats. From Pungos to Scorpios. After being a touring boat guy for several years I just kinda got tired of all the gear required to paddle a touring boat. I now wanted a boat to paddle just a few miles at a time that had enough stability to fish and swim off of. The problem with most SOT's is that they can't really be edged effectively. I really didn't want to use corrective strokes all the time to turn the boat. This hull is a great compromise of stability and maneuverability. You can actually edge turn this boat very well.

Plenty of dry storage if you want to make an overnight or weekend trip. Seat height feels like a good compromise between the sporty low height of the Necky Vector and the more traditional heights of the WS Tarpon boats. Speed is slightly better than most other SOT's due to the hull shape. The molded in handles are GREAT and very well balanced. Makes the boat much easier to pick up and handle. Honestly one of the easiest SOT's to car top. Also keeps the boat from snagging on the roof rack when upside down like a traditional strap handle does. I know it seems like an odd thing to gush over but I LOVE the handles!

Bottom Line: I'd say this boat is about 60% touring and 40% fishing.

06-12-2013
Submitted by: jgSend Email

I test paddled a Triumph 13 lately with the intention of buying it coz I had a Freedom before and loved it the triumph is a much worse kayak slower heavy tank with poor tracking the seat is higher too which I didn't like I'm just over 11 stone I think its designed for heavier paddlers so as to keep it lower in the water so the wind wont blow the bow all over the place it was calm and it still needed a lot of corrective strokes to keep it straight perception should have continued the freedom coz if it aint broke don't fix it so im on the look out for a second hand Freedom

07-30-2012

I bought this kayak after reviewing the OK Trident model that runs a couple hundred more in price. The Triumph 13 is fast and stable. It's upswept bow handled chop with ease, and is very quiet. It only weighs 58 lbs bare, and has molded in side carry handles which allow for a good grip while lifting and carrying. The cargo bay will accept a large milk crate with room to spare. If you want a kayak for longer fishing trips or near shore ocean fishing, this one will work great.

07-09-2012
Submitted by: BSend Email

Pros: More aggressive hull design than the tarpon/Pescador, lighter, longer. How can you go wrong? Cons: Seat is not as good as the Tarpon/Pescador. This is made by the same company, why would they give a new model an inferior seat to an older model?
Child seat in the front. I am looking for a Porsche equivalent in my kayak not a mini van to take the kids to soccer practice.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!