Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception Sport > Access 11.5 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Access 11.5 Kayak by Perception Sport

Rated: 8.67/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

03-31-2014
Submitted by: Brett GSend Email

I have the camo pattern angler edition of this model and absolutely love it! Added a couple loops for extra straps, but for fishing in those secret spots - you seriously can't beat this guy. My friends are jealous because Dicks Sporting Goods had a clearance on this model and I got this retail-$500 yak for $250!! It's wide w/ tons of compartments as well. Only thing I'm adding in the future is a stabilizer for standing. Besides that I'll be keeping this yak forever.

10-23-2013
Submitted by: Lt. Dan

bought the Perception access after owning an Old Town sit in for 15years. First trip on TX coast was great, hauls a lot of gear, super stable and the seat may not be the best, but it can be padded a little more if needed. It paddled easily and all features are well thought out.

It may not be the most expensive yak out there, but I see no need of paying 1K for a yak, when my $300 Perception can do what the 1K yaks can do.

08-08-2013
Submitted by:

I am by no means an expert nor am I a beginner. I would say I am somewhere in-between. Regardless, this is a great kayak for the inexperienced as well as the experienced paddler.

I have paddled several kayaks from 15' fishing yaks with rudders to 8' recreational yaks without and I have discovered that they all excel in certain categories that they are specifically designed for. However, kayaks that are considered recreational are exactly that; they are designed for the beginner or the expert to have fun on the water.

With that said, this is a great kayak. It has many design features that I wish were on other kayaks that cost exceptionally more. Almost everything that needs to be replaced at one time or another on other kayaks such as seats and carrying handles are a thing of the past with the Sport Access 11.5. It has molded carry handles on the bow and stern as well as port and starboard. It also has molded foot holds, storage wells front and back, 2 molded rod holders aft, a cup holder, a place to mount a third rod holder, and a fish finder or GPS. It also has a small hatch with bag that allows you to store your wallet and cell phone all features are easily accessible from the molded seat with back support. This is a very well thought out kayak. I understand why they call it the Access!

Anyway, enough about the ergonomics of the kayak and onto the technical stuff. The kayak weighs a mere 52 lbs, which allows for a single person to transport and load easily. It is 11'5" long and tracks very well for a kayak under 12' and it can hold up to 300 lbs of weight. It is easy to paddle and fairly fast. I use my Access on slow moving rivers, lakes, and fish the mangroves and canals. I didn't purchase the angler version, but I did install an 8" hatch upfront in the storage well, a paddle holder and an anchor trolley system. Furthermore, it comes with a Kevlar plate on the skeg that protects the kayak if it is dragged. It also comes equipped with a drain plug at the rear of the boat in case any water should get into the hull, which has not thus far and I have owned it for over a year and have used it extensively during that time.

The best thing about this kayak is the cost doesn't reflect upon its quality!!! Therefore, I am extremely happy with my purchase and look forward to more fun on the water!!!

06-17-2013

A friend and I rented 2 of these kayaks and took it on an overnight, 40 mile trip down the current river. I now know that this not an ideal vessel for an excursion like this. The seat is pretty UN-comfortable after just a few hours on the water. The tracking was far from good; if you did not constantly correct it you would be facing upstream in a matter of seconds.
This may be an ok rec. kayak for still water but I would definitely stay clear if you are going to be in any moving water...

12-19-2012
Submitted by: Eric Send Email

Been kayak fishing since 1998. I fish the north shore area of Massachusetts for striped bass. I have had a Old Town Loon but wanted a sit on top. I got this from Dick's Sporting Goods for 299.99. Used this twice, very stable track well and has decent storage. I added a front hatch, and Scott rod holder. Not a bad yak for novice or an avid fisherman. I wouldn't go out in to rough a surf. I am 6ft 230 and it fit me well.

07-06-2012
Submitted by: MitchSend Email

Bought on 7-4-2012 at Dick's. My primary focus is fishing. As most have already stated, no kayak is perfect, but this is not a bad 1st yak. Price (399), size (11.5) and weight (52 lbs) were perfect. As this was my 1st experience with this kayak, I am giving it an 8. Future trips may change my initial rating.

I am a newbie at kayaking and in my late 40s, 6.0, 215 lbs in just "OK" shape. The Maiden voyage in my sport access 11.5 was on a mild current (Chattahoochee) river in GA. Paddled 5 miles up stream and paddled (not floated) 5 miles down stream. Did some fishing as well. I was on the water for 4 hours. A little sore in the lower back, but then again, 1st time in the yak and the seat padding is kind of thin.

PROS: (in order)
  • REALLY like the molded built-in seat, although the padding is too thin. (an easy fix)
  • Dry ride!
  • Easy to paddle and tracks very well
  • At 52 pounds, it is easy to lift and transport.
  • For short trips, it can fit inside my Toyota Matrix, with all seats folded down. Only a small part of the tail sticks out the open back window.
  • I did not want sealed/covered storage as they would likely leak anyway and cause more problems. With everything open, it all drains away.

Cons: (In order...)

• The kayak is NOT as stable as I would expect from a 30+inch width.
  • No side straps to hold paddle. A relative easy fix.
----------------
I will update as I go on more trips in the coming months. Next will be creeks on Lake Lanier, GA and a trip back to Amelia Island, FL to fish the backwaters for trout, flounder and reds.