Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wilderness Systems > Paradise Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Paradise Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Rated: 8.82/10 Based On: 17 Reviews

09-26-2013
Submitted by: stickfishshift

I have had this kayak since it came out... I have taken it in the ocean through 4ft surf with no problem besides getting drenched, also surfed waves with it, fished, and have got lobster free diving.... I have taken it in the Indian River and targeted all game fish. It has great tracking capability for long paddles... I have also been bow fishing for sheephead standing up...i am only 150 lbs tho... But it is a very stable robust boat... also have been camping on islands loaded down with gear... I have also dragged it through the woods and gone bass fishing in swampy areas with 2 people with the confidence that it would not flip... ALL AROUND AWESOME, EXTREMELY VERSITAL, FAST, TOUGH BOAT...

04-29-2010
Submitted by: jzSend Email

I've had my Paradise 2 person SOT kayak for over 10 years and I love it. It is nimble enough for me to do creeks in the spring and stable enough to go camping on a deserted island (with food, beer and camp gear). I am a strong paddler at 5'11" 190 lbs.

This boat tracks well and is stable in big water (even in white caps) and is responsive when play boating at waterfalls. The tough polyethylene is scarred and scratched and still doesn't leak!

06-24-2009
Submitted by: eghallSend Email

I own two Paradise kayaks. I love that it is easy to sit on. I carry every thing but the kitchen sink. I carry snorkel bag, small cooler and of course the dog who rules all. I have just added a sail to cruise the bay at Cedar Key. I have had my kayaks for about 7 years. One belongs to my son. I think he feels the same about his. We have enjoyed them a long time.

06-05-2009
Submitted by: RJBSend Email

I purchased my Paradise 8 years ago and have paddled rivers,lakes and ocean. It is stable and easy to paddle long distances. My wife and I paddle in synch and usually never hit paddles. We bought a Thule Hullavator for our SUV and loading is a breeze. It handled big waves and wind on Lake Tahoe and we did not feel unstable. We have considered purchasing a new kayak, but always decide that we really like our Paradise

12-15-2008
Submitted by: wrweimerSend Email

I have owned several kayaks, the Paradise is by far the best, great weight capacity. Mostly used for scuba and free diving off the California coast.

10-14-2003
Submitted by: RaySend Email

Just bought a older pairadise blue/green model. I don't know how old it is. So far I am very happy with it. I have notice that the new model had a more pronounced keel in the middle (the bottom of my hull is rather flat) but the boat seems fairly stable. With 2 paddlers it is just fine, but add a kid in the middle and it is fairly tippy and unstable. This is my first kayak and so far I am pleased.

08-20-2003
Submitted by: Melissa

We have used a friend's Paradise quite a bit and love it. We have found that the shorter length makes it easier to turn, even if it doesn't track as straight as a longer boat. We are more than willing to make that trade off.

Occasionally we bang paddles, but only if my partner in the back is making a correction and I am paddling straight. I don't know that I would want to take it on long trips due to the lack of storage capacity, but for playing around at the lake it is great. I have also paddled solo and love it, I can actually kick my feet out to the sides and get unstuck if I take it into too shallow a spot. It paddles nicely from the middle, but I have not tried any other position solo.

07-29-2003
Submitted by: cheechSend Email

Have been out on Paradise with my wife,and other times with children 8&6.Will solo on it this week.The single overhand knot inside the front carry handle failed while carrying the boat over grass on its maiden voyage.Wilderness,try a double overhand or a figure 8 stopper knot.The boat has worked well.Alittle ruddering by the rear paddler is necessery to turn the boat quickly,or in a wind or current.The front paddler cannot see the rear paddle so it is up to the rear person to adjust his stroke accordingly.If the rear calls a stroke or if you sing a cadence the two people get in stroke nicely.Im 47,I can get it on top of my suv,take it off easy,But putting it on after paddling is sketchy. Careful how you store your plastic kayak this winter.The net has a lot of good info on the subject.

02-12-2003
Submitted by: Bob VanceSend Email

Paradise bought used. My first boat after mixed reviews I decided this would work for me. I bought the boat primarily to fish out of but really have enjoyed touring ant the occasional small wave surf. this boat is easy for one to paddle haven't tried tandum yet. Handles small atlantic surf just fone and does well on the rapids of the upper James river. It's a little heavy for iot's size but my 140 lb but handles it just fine solo short distances to launch. Ub real stability and straight forward tracking even to a novice like me. Love the boat.

02-15-2002

I'm new to kayaking. I wanted a kayak that would be stable and big enough to take my wife on (she hates the water). I free-dive for Abalone and wanted a dive kayak. When my brother-in-law and I took the Pairadise out for a spin for the first time, we were surprised at the tippiness. We changed places to put the smaller one in front but it was still easy to roll over. I tried the single seat in the middle and found it to be more stable, but the front did tend to drift and required much correction once started. I tried a single seat in the rear and found it to me much more stable and easier to paddle. The kayak steers well from the rear seat and was much faster then. That left a lot of kayak in the water ahead of me. I'm 5'6", 175 pounds. This is a poly boat and though I can lift it without a problem, it would get real heavy if I had to carry it far (66 lb.). I'd recommend renting several kayaks before choosing one to purchase.

01-09-2002

This is my 1st yak, i bought it last summer after trying a rental O K Malibu on Table Rock Lake in Missouri. I did my homework and the Pairadise had everything I wanted. I live in Ohio around a LOT of small streams and old canals and this yak is great both solo and with the wife. Tandem it tracks better and the smacking paddles thing is avoided if you're in synch with each other. Storage could be improved but with the back storage spot and the hatch you can pretty much manage. It even does well on bigger lakes and is comfortable to paddle for 6+ hours at a time. I got the flame orange-into-yellow scheme and we always get stopped on the water by people wanting to know all about it. For $500 new you can't beat this boat.

08-07-2000

I bought this kayak for my 12 year old nephew who is legally blind. We were looking for a yak that would hold two people but where he wouldn't be "inside" the boat. The first paddle we did was down a local river (about a four hour paddle). My nephew was able to jump off the boat to go swimming and get back on easily without tipping the boat over. Plus, it is easy to handle, except we too, had problems with knocking paddles together. I am hoping that won't happen once we get more experience paddling together. We are planning an overnight trip soon and will be using this kayak along with my Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro. The only thing I don't like is the lack of hatch storage space. Although, if you just waterproof your gear, you can just latch it to the seats, if you are going solo. My nephew rates this boat an 8.

03-16-2000
Submitted by: R SchillySend Email

Purchased a Pairadise for my wife and daughter. They love it. I've taken it out solo and for a wide (stable) yak it is fast and tracks very well. Not sure why you would hit paddles rowing with partner. It isn't a problem for us.

02-13-2000
Submitted by: DeggySend Email

I bought this yak to introduce my wife to kayaking...I am an avid fisherman and hoped it would give me the needed edge. Solo the boat is good, takes chop well (2'-4')...Storage is terrible, one small hatch. Tandem doesn't work for adults, paddles tend to smack...seating too close. Would recommend this yak for someone introducing a child to the water, stable and easy paddling on flat water. Two grown adults, thumbs down.

10-16-1999
Submitted by: MikeSend Email

Have had a chance to paddle my pairadise for about a month now.I use it primarily as a one man boat for touring,fishing and general recreation.This is a plastic boat and therefore a little heavy but very robust and sturdy feeling.I like my particular color combination of blue blending to green and finally to yellow.Wilderness systems calls this sapphire/maize.The graphics molded into the hull are horrible though.I don't know what the designers were thinking! I bought the boat because it had the most pronounced keel(actually three keels) of any other sitontop boat I've seen and I thought it would be superior in tracking.I was wrong! The bow of my boat likes to wander and it takes many steering strokes to overcome this wandering once it starts.To be fair this boat was designed for two people and this tendancy is probably rectified with more boat in the water. The boat is not quite as fast as I would have liked but it is very stable! I've been in confused five foot seas with it under the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco bay and had no concerns at all. Ocean Kayaks Malibu two is probably a better one man paddler but my pairadise looks very cool and is a comfortable dry ride(the bow does a nice job of deflecting waves down and out.I would buy another, but get rid of those graphics!!!

08-16-1999
Submitted by: Rick HiggensSend Email

I'm no expert as this is my 1st kayak (3 WW canoes) but for what I wanted this does it all. I works well tandem and has a 3rd middle seat for solo... and it solos GREAT! I don't think I would own a boat that could not go both ways. We paddled up and down the beach, rode some small waves and generally just cruised! Seat back options are a must for long paddles!

06-01-1999

I bought the Pairdise because my 55# Lab was making my Ocean Scrambler a little too small, especially when the water is way cold. The Pairdise seems just as easy to paddle and just as fast and it handles the dog quite well. I like it enough so that I even use it sometimes when the dog does not go. One of these days, I'll get my wife into it to see if it will really serve as a double. Very stable and turns well. I'd recommend it. I would also recomend that more people consider a sit-upon. They are the choice for casual paddeling. Being able to get in (on) and out with no hassle is great.

Rendezvous River Sports