Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Tetra 12 Angler Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tetra 12 Angler Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Tetra 12 Angler Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Length: 12' 1" - Width: 28.00" - Starting at: $899.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Ocean Kayak Logo

07-06-2014
Submitted by: RJSend Email

The Ocean Kayak Tetra 12 Angler is a good choice for an angler who is looking for a sit on top boat. It's narrow width makes paddling easier than the wider 12 foot kayaks, and it's light weight makes it a lot easier that most to put on and take off a vehicle's roof. The modular fishing pod in the center console open up easily and makes for easy to access storage and a handy mount for the included Scotty rod holder. Measuring your catch is made easy with the built in ruler on the pod's cover. Ocean Kayak makes it easy to add an accessory rudder with mounting holes provided at the stern.

03-22-2013

I have owned this kayak for about a year now. I actually really like this kayak as a general purpose boat and for fishing.
    Pros:
  • It is much more convenient to get in and out of than my sit-in kayak.
  • It has lots of options for storing and accessing gear. I am able to store my kayak cart in the front hatch, clothes in the center, and tackle and a cooler in the rear.
  • The rod-pod is great. It offers a great place to mount a rod holder. It has a built in cup holder. You can even use the mounting holes to add a sonar. Plus it give you quick access to the inside of the kayak, wherein you can store your rods. This can be especially nice if you are launching or landing in the surf and don't want to risk rolling and snapping your rods.
  • The sit-on-top design is much more open, which lets you enjoy the weather around you more.
  • It is much easier to exit and re-enter than a sit-inside kayak.
  • It is much easier to re-enter from the water as well, though it is also easier to fall out of.
  • Very well made boat, top notch construction.

Cons:

• The boat is kind of small (low column) for its length. This causes a couple of issues.
  • It is only moderately stable.
  • It doesn't have enough freeboard. If I leave my scupper stoppers out, then water will flood up through the scuppers into the footwell area to a depth of about one-half inch. It may not do this with a smaller paddler. I am 185 lbs.
  • The boat weathercocks (turns into the wind) pretty badly.
Summary:
This is a fine boat that should serve anyone well if they are looking for a fishing/general purpose kayak. I really am impressed with the construction of the Ocean Kayak boats. However, if I were to do it again, I would probably buy a slightly larger model, probably from Ocean Kayak. I would also strongly consider getting the add-on rudder to help with the weathercocking issue.