Product Reviews > Canoes > Holy Cow Canoe Company > Algonquin Prospector Y-Stern Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Algonquin Prospector Y-Stern Canoe by Holy Cow Canoe Company

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

07-10-2014
Submitted by: J. HarlanderSend Email

We bought this Canoe directly from the Holy Cow Canoe Company Factory in Acton, ON. The canoe is mostly used on on lakes, not rivers. The customer service was fantastic, the owner took great care of us. He even took the time to help strapping the canoe on to our car.

The quality and craftsmanship on the canoe is beautiful. We bought a factory second and got a great deal - we looked hard for the blemish, but couldn't even find one!

The canoe weighs in at 50lb, its a dream to portage. It tracks beautifully in still water, and even wind and waves are no problem! Its great for 2 adults + 1 kid and luggage - and there's still space for our Labrador! It does also work well for soloing (I like to take it out fishing by myself sometimes).

We are very happy with our purchase and highly recommend the Prospector!

05-14-2012
Submitted by: KolosOnlineSend Email

This is a review of the 15' Algonquin Prospector Y-Stern.
I've had the canoe a few years and use it primarily as a fishing platform and paddle it in between. Overall, I think it is a great boat. I have the Ultraglass model, bought as a factory second. I treat it as a tool, hit rocks, grind gravel, you name it - the boat has held strong. I have a 45lbs thrust trolling motor on the back most of the time and it moves well and tracks straight.

It is funny to see other boaters or canoeist's faces as they don't know what to think. I'm not the best paddler, but it seems similar to other 'prospector' canoes that I've been in before (just chopped at the back). No complaints, other than the Y-Stern is a bit tight at the back and it seems a bit tough to find a gas outboard that fits it well in terms of transom height. That's not the canoes fault, it is just my desire to hit remote spots and get there really fast. I paddle around when I get there. Use with Electric Trolling motor and you'll have a blast. Paddle it when your hands are free (from fishing).