Product Reviews > Accessories > This is the Roll DVD Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for This is the Roll DVD

Note: This DVD is available for purchase in the Paddling.net Store!

Research Books, Videos, & More in the Buyers' Guide!

03-29-2013
Submitted by: Ragic

Awesome DVD! I just took my first rolling class and made it much more successful by watching this DVD over and over. Cheri and Turner make rolling easy to understand and fun to learn. So much so, that this July, I will be attending a kayak class with Cheri Perry and Turner Wilson! This DVD is the best.

01-16-2013

This is one of the most extensive DVDs I've seen on rolling, or any other subject for that matter. They go through every phase of rolling from stretching, the mechanics of the roll, practicing on land, etc. And they do it in a way that is easy to understand.
I highly recommend this dvd.

05-11-2012

Rock Solid Instruction! Easy to understand, great demos, and easy to retain! Even a mostly solo paddler like me had great success using this DVD!

I got my first boat last in April 2011 (used Prijon Touryak)and tried to do my first rolls in August in a warm lake - I made much noise and splashing, not knowing that it is really all technique and very little paddle power. I had read books and watched other videos, but never even got close to completing a basic sweep roll.

I have done most of my learning solo after getting foundations down from the ACA basics class and fellow padding club members, so I was confident I could learn to roll without the benefit of a dedicated instructor. I was quite wrong on that account, but this DVD is like having these two masters working with you!

I got this video 2 weeks ago, watched the Sweep roll section twice and the stretching section. After visualizing the sweep roll, doing the land exercises and stretches, I really felt I got the concepts down. The focus on proper use of the legs, hips & supports(floats, paddles, hands) are invaluable.

Last Sunday I practiced at a local pool session on my own using one of my drybags for a float, like the segment Sherri leads in the river, and sure enough I got onto the back deck easily after relaxing, lining up my shoulders, and following the other excellent guidance. Sherri's and Turner's tips about relaxing, keeping shoulders level, and taking care of the boat first were spot on! Then I added my paddle and tried rolling up on the right and nailed it on my 2nd attempt, unextended! That first success was quickly followed by several more successes at rolling up on the right, including 4 re-entry & roll-ups!

Today I got the left side sweep roll going in a local lake after identifying what I was doing wrong using the tips from the video.

I'll be working on the Storm Roll next, having watched the segment on that once already, and I am confident I can learn it with Sherri & Turner's help. If you find your style or situation is often a solo one, this is still a great tool to use for learning and improving your rolls. Now it's just practice, practice, practice.

Bang up, Job, Sherri & Turner & crew. Thank you!

05-06-2012

This is by far the best rolling video that I have seen. It is excellent for Greenland rolling instruction. Turner Wilson and Cheri Perry are the best instructors around. You will not be disappointed!

04-27-2012
Submitted by: Lou GouletSend Email

Just received this DVD on how to roll a kayak (April 2012). It is very well done and easy to follow. Also I like Vancouver Island having been a past resident and pine to get back. The instruction is easy to follow, broken down to bite size chunks, well thought through and covers the fundamentals that allow you to follow or practice your roll on land first before introducing the kayak. It also gives troubleshooting tips and the roll is broken down from beginning to end , and end to beginning. I have viewed others but this one is the best I have observed to date. Well done and the instructors are easy to like. For any kayak beginner or enthusiast who wishes to learn the roll via home DVD then this one deserves high marks and recommended. Good job.

PFD Buyers' Guide: