Product Reviews > Canoes > Sawyer > Oscoda Solo 13 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Oscoda Solo 13 Canoe by Sawyer

Rated: 8.17/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

01-20-2014
Submitted by: CharlieSend Email

I purchased a used Sols 13' a year ago. It is a 1987 model that I found in a pawn shop. I had tried numerous kayaks but never felt comfortable as I am 77 years old. The canoe I bought was in rough shape (scratches, faded finish, etc.) but structurally sound. I had never heard of the Make, Oscoda, so I did some research and found that it was a very popular craft up north (I live in Southeast North Carolina). I bought the canoe for $200 cleaned and polished the hull and now have a very comfortable fishing platform. I use a double end paddle.

05-24-2008
Submitted by: GarySend Email

I truly enjoy paddling my '87 Oscoda 13. It is very comfortable with its high mounted tractor seat and also very stable, maneuverable and tough.

05-08-2002

This is faster than a 13' boat has a right to be. While it can't be compared to something like a Bell Magic of We-no-nah Advantage for all out speed, I did take my Oscoda to a local park board race on a lark and finished second by only a canoe length to a 15' Merlin. Fast, nimble and good final stability...

I disagree with the writer below as to hull strength. I've had mine for many years and it's still in excellent shape. My other canoes have not held up as well. TheOscoda's kevlar/fiberglass hull is close to bulletproof. It's been kept outside for that entire time. BTW, I live in Minnesota and we get our share of snow :-)

For a 13' solo this Dave Yost design is hard to beat in my opinion. The only real tradeoff being that the tough hull design also contributes to it's 46 pound weight.

03-27-2001

I bought my Solo 13 about 8 years ago and was pleased with the way it paddled. It was actually a dream to paddle. However, I am not so sure about the strengh of the construction. A couple of years ago I left it out on a rack for the winter at my cabin in upper Michigan. Also on the rack was an Old Town Discovery, an older Thompson wood an canvas canoe and a stripper I built. They were sitting side by side and covered with a tarp. They had a lot of snow that year. When I came back in the spring all the canoes were just fine except for the Sawyer Solo 13. The hull had been crushed, presumably from the weight of the snow. Sawyer told me too bad, it was my problem and I should have kept it inside. That maybe true, but I can't help but feel that the hull is weak. I fixed it and it does not look as nice but paddles ok. While I was sanding out the hull to add patches of fiberglas I notices numerous tiny air pockets beneath the gel coat. Maybe that is normal, but I am not sure. Maybe I just got a weak boat.

05-02-2000
Submitted by: JoeSend Email

I bought this new in the mid '80s, and it was a high performance playboat back then (flatwater). It is still a dream to paddle. It has very fine entry and exit lines, with a rounded middle and some tumblehome. Classic, clean lines. I've gotten compliments on how nice it looks. I paddle it with a single or double blade, depending on my mood, and it flies under the doubleblade. This canoe tracks straight if you sit upright, and it turns easily if you lean a bit. This is a very efficient fiberglass hull with aluminum trim. It is a straight hull with very little, if any, rocker. I kneel in it when I really want to play. This boat has a max capacity of just over 200#, but I've gotten over 250# and it still handles nicely if I don't get too active inside it. The canoe I have is a 1984 model and is 12' 10" long.

05-13-1999
Submitted by: RonSend Email

Excellent solo flatwater boat that can handle mild rivers well. Only drawback to this layup is it weighs [Sawyer list] 46 pounds otherwise would rate a 10. A Dave Yost design. Very similar design to Yost's solo designs for Bell. This boat excells in the wakes kicked up by the power boats on the local resevoir.