Product Reviews > Accessories > Aqua-Bound Surge kayak paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Aqua-Bound Surge kayak paddle

Aqua-Bound Logo
See Products from Aqua-Bound in the Buyers' Guide!
Aqua-Bound in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Touring Kayak Paddles
  • Whitewater Kayak Paddles

07-02-2014
Submitted by: DDH DesignSend Email

Aqua-Bound Surge carbon fiber paddle is great! I always tell friends to buy the best paddle they can afford and to test paddles. I also tested a Bending Branches light weight paddle, but liked the Surge better. My husband was about ready to trade in his kayak for a different model, then switched to a Surge paddle, he said it made all the difference.

07-03-2012
Submitted by: luv2fishnpaddleSend Email

Several years ago when I first got into kayak fishing, I started with a low end or beginners paddle. For the past two years, I have used that beginners paddle and never thought it was worth paying more for upgrading to a nicer paddle but did not see spending the extra money. Two months ago, I made the decision to start looking at a Aqua Bound Surge carbon fiber paddle.

This paddle is awesome and so much of an improvement over what I had. The weight difference is substantially different as well as the performance in the Surge Carbon Fiber. I should have done this last year or even from the beginning. I went with a 240CM paddle due to the width of my fishing kayak. If you have an opportunity to test one...you find a better paddle for weight and performance.

11-27-2011
Submitted by: RSSend Email

The Aqua-Bound website doesn't do this excellent paddle justice and misses out on selling some of the best features. This is a phenomenal paddle for anyone that's looking for a lightweight, incredibly well designed paddle that is reasonably priced. When I first opened the package I fell in love with the bright green fiberglass blades. I'm not big on how my gear looks, but this is quite an eye-catcher. As I took a closer look at the shaft of the paddle, I noticed a checkerboard pattern. The surge shaft is checkboarded with a pattern that is glass smooth around the shaft (the direction to turn the paddle when using the feather angle) and is rough up and down the length of the paddle. The paddle turns smoothly in your hand, but prevents slipping; it's a great idea and is executed very well.

After I gripped the paddle I was VERY pleasantly surprised by two facts. First, the shaft of the paddle is a bit smaller than usual, making it incredibly easy to grip. This is a very comfortable paddle to hold and doesn't strain the hands. Secondly, the shaft is slightly ovoid. This actually makes it incredibly comfortable and lets you know exactly how the paddle is oriented in your hand. After taking the Surge out on a 14 mile paddle, I appreciated the careful design and construction of the shaft even more.

The Surge is hands-down the most comfortable paddle that I've used. I did some short and long sprints along the way and there is absolutely no flex in the blade; I dug as deep as I could but didn't detect the slightest flutter. Overall, this is an outstanding paddle, especially for a more high-angle touring stroke.