Product Reviews > Accessories > Bending Branches Sun Shadow Crank Day Paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Bending Branches Sun Shadow Crank Day Paddle

Rated: 4.67/10 Based On: 3 Reviews

Bending Branches Logo
See Products from Bending Branches in the Buyers' Guide!
Bending Branches in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Wood Kayak Paddles
  • Performance Canoe Paddles

10-26-2011
Submitted by: Marty

I have a pair of BB paddles. I use a Sun Shadow, and my wife uses a BB Special. I am very satisfied with both paddles in terms of appearance, and performance. I am a solid convert to bent shaft designs now.

The paddle is light, very good looking, and tough as nails. On a recent float, we had to break through thirty feet of ice to reach open water. The paddles handled the chore without a hitch.

I look forward to trying out a Black Pearl when my local vendors get some in. BB paddles are in the middle of the wide price range on paddles. I have found mine to be worth every penny.

10-24-2011
Submitted by: RSSend Email

Update to my previous review (10/12/2011):
After Bending Branches read my initial review they contacted me and very generously offered to send me a paddle that would better fit my needs, which was very professional and gracious of them. They certainly understand customer service and it's nice to know that there are companies that still do business the old-fashioned way. They certainly made a lifetime customer out of me.

10-12-2011
Submitted by: RSSend Email

We bought this paddle for my wife after her 1,200 mile solo paddle since her wrists and hands took a beating. She didn't like it from the start and I thought she was just being peevish until I did an overnight camping trip with it. This paddle just falls short of the mark in so many ways; I am tremendously disappointed by the lack of thought that seems to have gone into the design and execution.

The first problem is that the SHAFT ISN'T ROUND. I get that it's supposed to be a bent-shaft paddle, but the when you're going to rotate a feathered paddle back and forth in your hand a couple of thousand times during a paddle, you want the darn thing to be round, not a slightly rounded-off rectangle. It just doesn't make sense to have a non-round paddle cross-section.

Secondly, the circumference of the shaft is abnormally large, partially due to its' nearly square shape. The "Day" version of the paddle is advertised as "great for high angle, athletic paddle strokes." The size should just be sufficient to provide a little power when necessary, but the paddle blades flutter significantly, despite the fact that they're quite thick. When I was paddling hard with my NDK Explorer relatively lightly loaded I could feel the paddles flex. I'm touring, not racing, but when I want (or need) to really dig in and get the kayak moving fast, I want all that energy I'm expending transmitted to the water to move my kayak, and not getting eaten up in the paddle flexing.

On top of that, the paddle is just plain heavy, and the weight doesn't include the beefy drip rings. I'm not a big weight weenie, and my Klatwa Greenland paddle is just shy of 40 ozs, but it makes up for it in versatility.

Overall, this is a very disappointing paddle.

New York Kayak Co.: