Product Reviews > Kayaks > Prijon > Marlin PriLite Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Marlin PriLite Kayak by Prijon

02-12-2014
Submitted by: JIMSend Email

I am a new paddler and after a lot of research including this site, purchased a Marlin Prilite. Initially I was very happy and satisfied with the kayak. It looks great, handled well for me, was comfortable. After getting the hang of it, the kayak appeared to be stable. I could lift it onto my SUV by myself.
The day hatch leaks badly even in flat water though.

The problems started after having the kayak for two and a half months. The kayak cracked all the way thru just behind the cockpit. The kayak had been used a maximum of 15 times in flat water and had been looked after. The problem got worse when the Australian distributor told me the kayak would not be replaced and would be repaired, In an email he said:

"You damaged your kayak by sitting on the cockpit rim. The kayak is now repaired and good for use, in fact even if you continue to sit on the cockpit rim (which you really should not) it will now withstand this treatment."
This is an ABS plastic sea kayak we are talking about. I am not sure how self rescues can be conducted without sitting or lying on the cockpit rim. Even the Prijon promotional YouTube clip shows the paddler sitting on the rim.

I was not happy with this decision and emailed the sales manager of Prijon in Germany, he very promptly acknowledge receipt of my email and I have not heard from him since, I sent a reminder and did not hear from him. I fully accept there can be problems with kayaks but do not understand the way I as a customer has been treated. Going thru the Australian forums there are at least four other kayaks with the same problem.

I am sure generally the Prilite is a good craft but if you purchase one make sure you go thru the warranty with the retailer. Good luck to an one purchasing Prijon products.

08-08-2012
Submitted by: gcSend Email

Just a few comments from a new kayaker:
I have had the Marlin Prelite for 4 months and have paddled 3 to 4 times a week between 12 and 15 miles most days a few 20 mile trips. I can't compare it with other kayaks; have only paddled one other. What I can say is that when paddling with others they are all amazed at the speed of it. Doesn't matter if it's in flat seas or swells up to 3 feet (that's my skill limitations not the kayaks).

I was a bit worried about the stability of this size kayak when buying it because of limited or I should say no skill level, but from the first day have been amazed at what I can get away with when practicing my edging and traveling through some 4-5 foot wakes caused by boof heads in 50 foot cruisers.

I was advised to spend a bit extra on a good light weight paddle which I think is some of the reason I find the long paddles surprisingly easy for novice, I find it tracks really well with the wind in any direction even a hard quartering wind and in the flat water and rivers with the rudder up I'm often amazed how my edging skills are progressing, pretty sure it the kayak and not me

The reason I give a rating 8 is I have nothing to compare it with but for me personally it's a BIG 10, I often get comments from people on what a great looking rig it is. One point on the durability of the HTP moulded finish: the guy were I purchased it from also paddles this model, he has had the kayak on his roof racks for 12 months only takes it off to go paddling and the finish is as good as a new one with no noticeable fading or warping.

09-06-2011

I purchased a red & white Marlin Prilite early this summer and really like it. Although I have two other Prijon's, this is my first "long boat" I find it extremely comfortable, stable and it turns easily with a little edging. It's fast, tracks well and has a nice silent glide. The neoprene hatch covers are water tight and go on & off more easily than on my other boats. I think this is because this material seems to be a little thinner and the bungee cord is of a smaller dia. The hard protective hatch covers fit well and have a look like Kevlar which is a detail that has not gone unnoticed. Both covers are flush with the decking. The "deck box" is not a neoprene sock as in other models but made of hard plastic with a usable space inside much larger than it's opening. This Prijon feature and it's location was ONE OF the influences on me picking this boat. It's great for phone, camera, GPS, maps, binoculars, ect. There are provisions to hold your paddle behind the cockpit for a self rescue as well as a place for a spare paddle. I purchased the Prijon Rudder after the fact (just thought the Marlin needed to be complete!) but have yet to use it. I've tried it out to see what it does and it does "turn the boat" or steady it's course but have never needed it on a paddle. I"ve been in waves & wakes coming at me, coming from behind me and coming at me diagonally and have never felt in danger. The boat is outfitted smartly and the design, fit & finish is, in my opinion, superb. My Marlin weighs 53 lbs empty without the rudder. Last but not least, this boat draws attention and comments like " that boat looks really fast" or "that is one pretty boat" Maybe you can tell: I REALLY LIKE THIS BOAT!

Thunder Bay Tourism: