Product Reviews > Accessories > Pur Water Filter Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Pur Water Filter

Rated: 7.4/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

Research Water Purifiers & Filters in the Buyers' Guide!
Water Purifiers & Filters
View Water Purifiers & Filters in Buyers' Guide

12-31-2012

I own an older Pur filter and a newer Katadyn Hiker filter and found that aside from an improvement in handle shape, there is no difference. Both take the same Hiker replacement filter. And since Katadyn modified their replacement filter to fit both Hiker and Hiker Pro, finding a replacement filter cartridge has become so much easier.
Plus, Katadyn customer service is excellent!

09-12-2005
Submitted by: AdventurerSend Email

The Filter was the best I have personally used and have researched. Water filtering is a very basic process with all of the outdoor type models and brands. The main difference is in the mechanical design. As for the recall, it was taken care of. Now in 2005, I have upgraded to the new Katadyn filter since they have purchased the PUR outdoor division a year ago and now have made slight improvements. Improvements were slight however, I wanted to make sure I will have access to replacement cartridges in the years to come. I found a great outfitter that allowed me to trade-in for credit towards the purchase of a new system. The process was simple and fast. No worries, unlike trying to sell anything used in the local paper or over the internet. I have no time to sit around and wait for a buyer or deal with the hassles. I have used my filter in 3rd world countries without an illness. I highly recommend buying a Katadyn microfilter. Avoid buying one of the old PUR filters still around at large sellers. They are over priced since Katadyn now prices improved systems at greater value.

01-30-2001

We have had our PUR explorer for many years and have NEVER regreted owning it. Its easy to use and has never clogged and its easy to back flush. Concerning the recall: When PUR found out the carbon in the Stop Top accessory in someway affected the ability of the filter to filter 99.99% of viruses they initiated their own recall! There is nothing wrong with the primary filter and IF you have never used the primary filter with the carbon attachment then there is nothing to fear. When I contacted the company aobut the recall this was the information I got. I also mentioned I needed a new filter (not carbon) and asked where I could get one. Kim at PUR informed me one was on the way and I should expect it within two weeks at no cost!! Think I will stick with PUR for obvious reasons.

01-27-2001
Submitted by: MRGSend Email

Have used a PUR Hiker on a number of backpacking trips in the Olympics, and have been very pleased with the results. Easy to use and pump, good flow of water. I have had nothing but great experiences with this pump.

10-30-2000
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

I bought a PUR Voyageur for a trip to the BWCA. Two days before I left, PUR announced that the carbon granules in the stop top (to remove the "treated" taste) were defective and should not be used. Furthermore, all water should be filtered twice. This didn't impress me too much, but I was left with no choice. That was about 6 weeks ago, and it will still take PUR a few months to send out replacements because they have to be approved by the EPA. The "guaranteed not to clog" filter also clogged on the last day of the four day trip. I hear MSR filters are a better bet.

02-08-2000
Submitted by: DebSend Email

We've brought our Pur explorer on BWCA trips for the last 6 years. Each year it has failed us in some way or another and we ended up boiling our water instead. We originally had great confidence in the company and the product. Each year after it failed ( o-rings, handle, filter) the company would repair the failed part or unit at no charge for replacement or parts and say it's new and improved. Last year after only 4 liters it failed again. We shipped it back at our expense and told them to keep it. We bought a MRS mini-works and haven't been let down yet. Maybe it was just a bad unit, but our friend experienced the same handle problem with his on the Seal River in Canada. The company fixed his for free, but he's not too excited about the product anymore, either.

12-22-1999
Submitted by: MarkSend Email

I have the larger PUR water filter. I enjoy it but you have to be careful with it. One year on the Alaskan Tundra we took water from what looked like a crystal clear lake. In less than a gallon we fowled our filter and had to resort to a back up MSR purifier. The replacement filter was $70.00 and was 250 miles away (expensive gallon of water) Now we cut a coffe filter and cover the pick up filter. This is to prevent small particals from fowling the filter media. When your on the Tundra for two weeks and hundreds of miles from town you need to back up everything. I now, also carry a Katadyne purifier. I use my PUR for it's ease of use but carry my Katadyne for it's relieability. You can clean the katadyne media several hundred times without replacing the filter media.

12-04-1999
Submitted by: JPBSend Email

I bought a PUR Voyager and was pretty impressed with it. I used it for getting a drink of water when I was kayaking. But, I needed to store it for a while and so I followed the directions for long term storage and ended up with a filter full of bleach. Ack! Good filter but be careful when you read their directions.

07-26-1999
Submitted by: DenSend Email

I own a PUR Hiker filter. Also own a Katahdin Ceramic filter but enjoy using the PUR for the following reasons. The majority of North American water can be adequately filtered using any of the PUR filtration systems. I can keep a steady flow of water going into my water bottle with minimum pumping effort. The pre-filter does and excellent job prefiltering the water. Very easy to use...last weekend six of us used the PUR Hiker on a four day trip and my companions never hesitated to grab four or five Nalgenes (best water bottles made) for refills. The PUR just cannot be beat for the price, ease of use and quality. Heartily recommend using any of the filters.

05-16-1999
Submitted by: ScottSend Email

PUR,Voyager- Reliable, easy to operate, I have never had a clogging problem thanks to the included pre-filter. Purifies several hundred gallons before the filter needs to be replaced (about every other year).

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: