Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Expression 14 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Expression 14 Kayak by Perception

Rated: 9.8/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

08-26-2014

UPDATE: after a little over a month of owning my Expression 14.5, I do have to say I am even more happy with it. Once you slide your body into her, you feel like you are in a cockpit of a fighter jet. It really has a nice seat too, I am very comfortable in this seat, I really wouldn't trade this kayak seat for any other.

I took her out on Lake Huron yesterday because I wanted to get a timing for a 2 mile paddle. I measured out a mile distance with my car because it runs exactly parallel with the edge of the lake with no curves at all, so I know this was a pretty exact distance. Anyway, I timed myself paddling to the 1 mile mark and back again, got myself back in 26 minutes, which I thought was pretty respectable. I then entered this info into a speed/distance/time calculator and it came out that I averaged 4.6 mph on my 2 mile jaunt.

I really think this gem of a kayak is pretty quick, I've never paddled in a longer kayak, but I would put my 14.5 up against any other non-racing model and I think she would hold her own very respectably. It takes about 4-5 good strokes to really get her moving nicely and once she gets going, she moves very fast in the water. Another amazing thing about this Perception yak, is how easily it cuts through waves, it is quite incredible. I've gotten more used to the rope release on the skeg, so I am ok with it now, I guess it just needed to get loosened-up a little.

Anyway, I hope this updated review as well as my 1st review helps prospective buyers know more about the 14.5 Expression. Before I bought mine, I read the great reviews here submitted by other 14.5 owners and it really helped me decide which kayak to buy, so I say thank you to the others who submitted reviews, it was a big help in deciding which kayak to buy. I like to always read reviews before I purchase anything, especially a big purchase like this one. I mean, $1,100 is a lot of money to me, that's for sure. Anyway, good kayaking days to you all, keep those paddles wet!

08-12-2014

Purchased the Expression 14.5 last month and I am very happy with it. Mind you, I went from a 10' recreational kayak to this one and wow, what a difference. I was looking for speed and this kayak is fast. I kayak on Lake Huron mostly and it handles nicely in the open water especially with the skeg deployed, that skeg keeps her straight as an arrow. Personally, I think if you are going to do a lot of kayaking on open water, a drop-down skeg is a necessity, not an option.

The Expression 14.5 is a little tricky to first get into, but once you are in there, it fits like a glove and I love the thigh pads and the feet pegs. You can get a lot of control and extra power using the thigh pads and feet pegs in this kayak.

About the 3rd week I had this kayak, I went out in water up to my neck and spent about an hour practicing dumping it. It was tricky to get back in her, but it is with all sit-in kayaks if you tip-over. I would definitely recommend getting a hand-pump and a large sponge to all kayakers.

The speed in this kayak is amazing, if you want a fast kayak, this is the one to get. Also, I like the size of this kayak, it's long enough to achieve the speed you need, but yet, not to long to be hard to handle.

I will say, if you are a large person, this might be a little tight for you. I am 5'10" and 190 lbs and fit nicely in here with lots of leg room, but if you are over 225 lbs, you might want to get a kayak with more deck height, I believe this kayak has a deck height of 13.5 inches.

Overall, I am very glad I purchased this kayak and the speed is amazing in this thing. The quality of the build is superb and the design is great, however, the skeg sometimes can be a little tricky to deploy fully with the rope release, but I will try and lubricate the mechanism and that might help, I would have probably preferred to have a lever release on this kayak rather than the rope thing, but really, that is my only issue with this kayak.
Remember, a bad day kayaking is always better than a good day on land. Have fun!

04-08-2013
Submitted by:

I purchased the 14.5 July of 2012 and have paddled it in all types of conditions. I find the boat to be very enjoyable to paddle. It tracks straight with or without the skeg. It is very comfortable and easy to edge. As far as the seat: like the high back and have no problems with it after all I did buy it for the comfort. If you're looking for a nice over all boat I highly recommend the 14.5.

10-05-2011
Submitted by: MASend Email

Just purchased an Expression 14. I had been looking at the Easkey and Charleston but after reading the review above decided on the Perception - it seemed to me he knows what he's talking about. I also went for the Essence backband instead of the ridiculously high armchair as standard. Although I've only been on flat water up to now, I can endorse what the previous reviewer says. It's very easy to paddle, both initial and secondary stability are very good, it tracks well and you can get quite a bit of speed up. I've played around practicing self rescues and have found it very easy to get back in, and even with quite a bit of water in the cockpit the stability is still impressive. It's a good practical size, not too long or heavy and can easily be hoisted onto a car by one person. Can't wait to get it on the sea.

08-22-2011
Submitted by: simonSend Email

Since giving up on longer sea kayaks I've been after a shorter tourer that performs like a sea kayak. I've had Dagger Charlestons and both sizes of Alchemy and a North Shore Aspect, now I've just got myself an Expression 14. This is a UK model and is easily the best of the pre-mentioned bunch by a long way.

The build quality is superb, much much better than the rather ugly and thrown together Northshore; the comfort is superb, the Alchemys were good but a little low on the foredeck. The outfitting in the Perception is similar but has a bit more room. I went for the essence type backband rather than the awful armchair that comes as standard - Perception is happy to make the switch just ask when you order. The seat has a leg lifter and the thigh braces are adjustable. The skeg is a rope type affair with spring loaded mechanism; I thought I would prefer a wire skeg but this system is simpler and if you ground with the skeg down the blade just springs back up into the skeg box.

On the water the kayak is responsive and fun, fast, easy to turn but easy to keep straight as well. I've surfed some small waves and this kayak is fun, the last few outings have been in quite choppy confused conditions, the kayak is super steady and stable without feeling like a barge, the bow rides over most of the chop keeping you dry. In wind the kayak doesn't seem to have any real tendency to weathercock. I've only found the skeg useful in quartering seas where the kayak has a tendency to broach, but most kayaks do in these conditions.

I like the simple 2 hatch design; I can get my ekla trolley in the stern hatch without having to take it apart.
I feel i have finally found my ideal kayak with this one and look forward to many years of enjoyment.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!