Product Reviews > Kayaks > Point 65 N > Tequila Solo Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tequila Solo Kayak by Point 65 N

Rated: 6.56/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

08-28-2014
Submitted by: SDASend Email

Really enjoy the Tequila kayak! With a family of three, an outing on the water would include a solo and tandem kayak and all the headaches of transporting, unloading, loading, storage, etc. We have take ours down rivers, on in land lakes, and on the Great Lakes. In fact we even took 3rd place in a 9 mile river race in the tandem division with our Point n65.

07-17-2014
Submitted by: boSend Email

I read reviews on this site and I was worried about boat tracking ability so I decided to make a test on a lake. After that I decided to buy Tequila Tandem Point65.
My remarks:
  1. during paddling boat has quite stable course but when I stopped paddling boat tends to go left or right so small paddling corrections are necessary to keep tracking.
  2. boat has average speed bility it is quite fast and it is OK for me
  3. Important that I tried to mix colours and there was no good fit of red and orange components so I decided to buy BLUE TANDEM and it was a good decision. My suggestion is: always check kayak by yourself BEFORE you buy it.
  4. Kayak is some kind of sensation because it has modular construction people are curious about this kayak
  5. It is a new step for kayaks - it is extremely easy to transport kayak in a car however pieces are quite big for my SUV Honda CRV. I have to work out the best way how to put the elements in the car.
  6. Important that you will be wet in your trousers if you go kayaking on Tequila Point65 - water rarely get in to the kayak - so it is the best for a good weather or you have to buy water resistant clothes.

07-12-2014
Submitted by: PJFSend Email

Purchased the 'New' & expensive GTX 3-piece from LL Bean for tandem yakking. It survived UPS shipping although the boxes were opening due to dried out & poorly taped seams. LL Bean should re-tape all the seams before shipment.

All goes together easily even though the seams don't mate well & with only one retaining strap on each side with a total of four straps to hold the three pieces together. When practicing a rollout & recovery in my pool, the seam from the rear & middle sections opened a bit on one side allowing the 3" 'tooth' from the middle section to pull free from it's socket & wedge against the body. I had to undo the straps & reconnect WHILE IN THE WATER before I could practice re-entering the kayak!

My lady & I practiced a rollout & the same thing happened. After pulling the kayak from pool & resetting all connection points, we lifted the kayak from each end & the kayak separated again under it's own weight. Not good at all! My lady refused to consider the use of this yak (you all know what THAT means, LOL!).

A simple fix might be to add additional straps to the seams underneath the kayak to help hold it together. In addition, we were not happy with the stability of this kayak. The flat bowl shaped bottom & narrow 29" width make this kayak a bit unstable in comparison to wider 1-piece yaks which have contours built into the outside rails, similar to a pontoon running the length of each side for stability with the center section raised a bit above the water to scup water from the interior..

The concept is of a three piece, take anywhere tandem or solo yak is appealing. The price and execution is not.
After some discussion with LL Bean, the kayak was returned. LL Bean was great throughout the entire process and after some gentle prodding, also returned the $60 oversize shipping fee. I'll be buying from them again..

05-24-2014
Submitted by: SuzSend Email

I've had a Tequila! for a couple of years and love it. I purchased a second one last week and it's the new upgraded Tequila GTX which now has a skeg. It tracks really well and it's a great improvement. Also love the new seat!

05-22-2014

The Pointe 65 has a fatal flaw. When any kind of speed is reached, the whole thing starts to kind of hydroplane and becomes uncontrollable, when you stop paddling it goes completely sideways (as in right into the path of any boat that might be there). It is hard to believe the ways in which a product can be screwed up and then be put up for sale. I never would have thought to look for that problem when trying it out. ????? What a shame! I returned mine to the store where purchased as unsafe and not suitable for the purpose intended. Point65 should be ashamed, as adequate product testing would have revealed this flaw.

**MANUFACTURER'S RESPONSE**
"Dear reviewer. Thank you for your feedback. The Tequila! was launched in 2008 and is by far our most successful product. It is probably one of the most appreciated recreational sit on top kayaks out there with stellar, mostly 5 star consumer reviews. I myself paddle it regularly and can't say that I have the same experience as you. It has been sold in the tens of thousands and I did test it extensively before bringing it to market.

Having said that all kayaks do not suit everybody and I'm sure there is a recreational sit on top kayak out there that suits you better. That it has fatal flaws and that I should be ashamed is however pretty strong language considering all the happy paddlers I meet. I'm proud of the Tequila! and can strongly recommend it based on the continuous positive feedback I get."
Richard Ohman
Founder & President
Point 65 Kayaks Sweden

10-14-2013
Submitted by: jmrSend Email

We have bought a Tequila in June 2013. I have used it a a single as well as a double in protected bays but mostly in Chichester harbor, a tidal area. The tracking of the kayak leaves a lot to be desired. So I have made a fixed rudder or skeg for it. So now it runs straight and as it should, which make the paddling much more enjoyable again.

07-24-2013

The Tequila from Point 65 N is unique. It breaks down into pieces that can easily fit in the back of my small SUV. Each piece weighs around 20 lbs. Put two together for solo, three for tandem. the Tequila is a dry ride for SOT. Water quickly exits through scupper holes. No matter how fast I paddle, water is not forced up through the holes, so feet are never resting in water.

Convenience is the strength of this kayak. Performance is not. The Tequila doesn't track well. When I stop paddling to coast for a moment the boat takes a right turn.

I recommend this boat for those looking for a simple and flexible kayak for around a lake house, and casual flat water paddling.

09-10-2012
Submitted by: RL

Great modular kayak. Conversation piece when putting it together. Rode it in rolling waves of Monterey bay, hard to keep up with friend on ocean kayak prowler rental. Hard to keep straight when surfing rolling waves. Tracks better with middle/tandem piece. Store all 3 pieces standing up in the garage. 3 pieces fit in back of minivan with back row down or in Wrangler JK unlimited with one seat down (the wider one)

08-10-2011
Submitted by: LNSend Email

This solo, modular, take-apart kayak is a fabulous invention-- well-made, stable getting in and out, and for the first time ever, I can actually take off alone in my car carrying a kayak I can transport without the help of another person. For that reason, I love it. It fits neatly into the back of my 2011 Subaru Forester in 2 pieces.

There is one drawback-- it tracks poorly. You've got to handle it almost like a canoe, varying each stroke to accommodate its wayward bow, which is always wanting to duck this way or that. I should also mention, it does not handle big waves well (but that is not an issue for me in mountain lakes). You wouldn't want to take it out in the ocean, though.

If only they could help the tracking somehow! Maybe the shorter length of the boat (it JUST fits into my SUV) makes that impossible. But I love that now 3 people and 3 kayaks can be carried on/in my car. That's a first!