Product Reviews > Kayaks > Riot Kayaks > Edge 13 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Edge 13 Kayak by Riot Kayaks

Rated: 8.4/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

Edge 13 Kayak by Riot Kayaks

Length: 13' 0" - Width: 25.00" - Starting at: $849.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Riot Kayaks Logo

08-18-2013
Submitted by: SCSend Email

I bought my Edge 13 two weeks ago from REI, and I returned it to the store yesterday for a refund. I am not happy with the way it tracks without the skeg down. In shallow water, I couldn't deploy the skeg without damaging it. The boat kept drifting to the right side, plus it was difficult to paddle it straight. I've paddled a Carolina 120 all summer long and it tracks sooo much better. In deeper water, the skeg certainly helped the tracking. But without the skeg down, it paddled sluggishly. If it isn't enjoyable to paddle, then why keep it?

Other than the tracking issue, the boat was nice. I liked the drain plug on the side of the cockpit (very useful). The paddle-park in front of the cockpit was well thought out too. It did weigh a lot and was hard to car top by myself.

08-10-2013

I'm a beginning paddler with two seasons under my belt, and the Edge 13 was my first boat. I've had it on the water (Colorado lakes & reservoirs) a few dozen times, and even though I have another boat now, I still really enjoy paddling the Edge. It tracks nicely and responds well to sweep strokes and edging (and skeg-down, it is straight as an arrow even in the strong afternoon winds of Colorado). It handles moderate wind chop and boat wakes quite well, although I've speared a couple of two footers with the low profile bow and had the water roll right down the deck and into the open cockpit...I got a spray skirt and have had no issues since.

The 24" beam and relatively large cockpit makes it roomy and stable, and I imagine it would work well for fishing, although I've never done that. However, anyone much bigger than me (6'1" 240lbs long legs big feet) would find a tight fit. On the other hand, my 6 year old wisp of a granddaughter can paddle it just fine, so I think it's a good boat for a broad range of recreational or beginning paddlers.

I call it my "rec boat with bulkheads"...the fore and aft watertight hatches are a nice safety feature, and make it possible to do longer day trips (and possibly overnight, if you pack like an ultra-light backpacker). The purpose-built paddle straps on the rear deck, and the low profile, make a paddle float re-entry a breeze.

The boat has a number of nice touches, like an under-deck gear net, and bungees underdeck that allow me to store my pump inside the cockpit right above my knees. The only thing I don't like is that the foredeck plastic seems a little soft. This is not a problem elsewhere on the boat, but the deck right in front of the cockpit is a little too flexible...I haven't actually done it, but I suspect one could collapse that section of the deck quite easily with a substantial weight (such as my own). Other than that the quality generally seems good, especially considering the low price.

Overall, I'd say this is a superior boat for it's class...a solid rec boat with a few nice features and extras. In that context, I give it a "8". Glad I bought it, and I (and family & friends) will probably use it for years to come.

07-31-2013

I've had this boat for about a year now, so I thought I'd go ahead and give my impressions.
I bought this boat from REI looking for an all around 'yak. The price was right at about $560.00 so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

This boat is heavy - at about 62 pounds, which makes it a pain getting on top of my Jeep into the J-style carrier. That being said, it is rotomolded, so it should be near indestructible.

I wanted was fishing platform, but this is really not well suited for that as other boats are, it is a light tourer with a flush mount rod holder to the right rear of the cockpit. I paddle a lot of rivers with low handing branches and if your rod is in the holder you could easily snap it off.

But as a light tourer, I think this boat really excels. The bow and stern hatches are not totally waterproof, so you'll want to use dry bags. There is ample room for a weekend camping trip in the hatches, plus bungees for on deck storage as well. The retractable skeg is a wonderful feature, making this boat track like it is on rails.

I did have a warranty issue, which took some time to resolve. The pad for the seat back ripped after two outings, it took some time but Riot did come through with a replacement part. I think that it took so long because Riot is based in Canada and the Kayak & parts are made in China.

Overall, a good beginner to intermediate boat for the money. I thoroughly enjoy my time in the Edge. It's been a great first kayak.

07-30-2013
Submitted by: Darren SmithSend Email

I purchased the Riot Edge 13 "for my wife" as half of a pair of boats. It was the leading half of our step-up from a big old Tandem; which no longer met our needs.

The only negative feedback I have is that since I am 6 foot 2 inches tall, the foot pegs do not extend quite far enough for "ultimate comfort". I fit & the first couple hours is OK. But day-long trips require multiple get-out breaks & many kick back sessions, where I hang my feet over edge.

Otherwise, this is a great boat. It's probably the best bang-for-the buck we could find; after months of test paddling, feedback from friends & obsessive internet review. Highlights...

• Skeg-up means great maneuverability, but still ample flat-water tracking
  • Skeg-down means straight-as-an-arrow tracking without compromising the steering you need without a true rudder
  • Most water over the front deck drains off in up to 2 foot chop\swell due to superior deck design
  • Front deck also includes a cool paddle slot\groove so you can strap on the paddle, pop you feet up & have a lounge-chair experience
  • Front & back hatches with fully sealed bulkheads provide storage and improved floatation
  • 13 foot length is a great trade-off for tracking vs. waterline vs. steering. Any shorter would get a little squirly in windy & wavy conditions. Any longer would start to limit steering & fitting into tight spots; rivers, creeks, strainer safety, etc.
Overall, this one will live with us for the long haul as a main flat water & semi-turgid water boat. We have yet to strap on a spray skirt & try the heavier waters of the bays & inlets here near the Chesapeake!...or Buy one if it meets your general requirements.

07-30-2013
Submitted by: BobSend Email

I have used it on a lake and a river. So far it has bee very well received. The tracking in the wind on the lake was as expected with the skeg up, but with it down it was very good. It is very responsive and stable.

The only reason not to give it a 10 was that water leaked into the rear compartment. I may have caused this by over tightening it while on my rack. I had intend to reseal the bulkheads just for added protection, so no big deal.
I have used it for overnight camping, adequate storage.

07-24-2013

I have owned my Edge 13 now for close to a year and am convinced that this is the most kayak you can get for your money. For a shorter kayak of just less than 13 feet it has two bulkheads, grab lines and bungees all the way around the kayak, two rubber hatches, a fishing pole holder, thigh braces and a skeg.

The kayak is good thick plastic - tough and durable. It is very stable. With the skeg up it paddles well and turns easily. With the skeg down it paddles straight and fast. I have no problem keeping up with 17 foot touring kayaks. I have fished out of it several times and it works fine, but lacks most of the conveniences of a sit on top. The rubber hatch covers don't seal well, but at 25 inches wide and very stable, this is not a kayak you would roll, or dump easily.

I got mine on sale and then used the membership 20% off coupon at the REI outlet. This boat has popped up there a couple times since I bought mine. I highly recommend it as an all around, do anything recreational kayak.

04-09-2013
Submitted by: SalSend Email

This is a pretty interesting little craft. As a family we already own too many boats - 'glass, plastic, thermo - but all long tourer types. The team wanted something smaller, lighter and more maneuverable for quick jaunts and backwaters.

We picked up 2 Edge 13's. The price was way below the competition and the outfitting is quite nice. What surprised me was how much it really felt like a full-blown sea kayak. It's much faster and livelier than I would have expected in such a short kit, and for the price is an easy choice for anyone doing day tripping or single nights who doesn't want to fight 16'+ onto the car.

03-25-2013

I purchased my Edge 13 last March (2012) and soon after I hit the river and never looked back. Extremely easy entry and exit due to the large cockpit. Great primary and secondary stability. Friends have tried it and wanted one for themselves. With the rudder it's easy to keep a straight course.

A great little boat for someone like myself who just wants to paddle easy and do some photography or weekend trips. It's great in class II and III rapids. The only problem I have with this boat is the oil canning, I'm told that all (most) plastic boats get this. I'm not racing so it's not such a big deal, I just don't like having a 'dent' in my new boat. And it certainly doesn't stop me from getting to where I'm going.

The Edge is a great beginner or entry level craft. I highly recommend it.

08-14-2012

I picked up the Riot Edge 13 from REI's online outlet store with an additional 20% off the outlet price. All my other boats are 17-18 foot boats and I wanted a crossover boat for creeks and rock hopping in smaller water ways.

I have never seen a rec boat that has as much to offer as this one. It is not as wide as most rec boats and paddles very well. It tracks great with the skeg down. The seats are extremely comfortable and highly adjustable. It has almost every amenity you might want (two bulkheads, fishing rod holder, rescue straps for paddle float re-entry, two drain plugs, one for the rear compartment and one on the side of the cockpit, thigh braces, adjustable foot pegs and lots of deck straps). It even has a netted storage above the legs under the deck.

The only thing I am disappointed with is that the hatch covers seem slightly too big for the hatches and will most likely not seal well if the boat goes over. Even for a higher price than what I paid, this is an excellent rec boat, but with REI's current sale, it is a steal. I gave it a 9 because of the hatch covers.

08-08-2011

I bought this boat online from the REI outlet because the specs sounded good, the price was unbelievably good and I needed a rotomolded boat for rock bumping or just as an extra. Plus, I was assured that if it wasn't what I wanted I didn't have to keep it. This has turned into a very pleasant surprise as it is very fun to paddle, stable yet good glide and speed. Skeg deploys flawlessly. Very nice transitional kayak, more than a rec boat, less than a sea kayak, just what I was hoping for.

My twelve year old grandson loves paddling it (and he is no slouch at paddling) and beginners quickly feel comfortable. Large opening means I can get in and out easily, but not sloppy feeling. Only drawback is the weight. It is listed as 44lbs. Hah! Only in the imagination of the sales crew is it 44lbs, I would love to weigh myself on this scale and I would never have to diet again. Granted I am a weak sister, but both my grown sons agree that it is closer to 54-60lbs. For this reason it tends to get left at home when I would prefer to use this as the extra boat. Because of the weight, we have (lovingly) dubbed her the SeaPig and when the boys do the hauling she is the first one chosen for themselves, a guest or my grandson (if they can get it away from him).

I hope this doesn't make it sound like a beginner only boat, because it certainly is not. Both beginners and those more experienced have enjoyed using her and would highly recommend this as a nice transitional kayak.

Thunder Bay Tourism: