Product Reviews > Kayaks > Elie Paddlesports > Strait 140 XE Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Strait 140 XE Kayak by Elie Paddlesports

Strait 140 XE Kayak by Elie Paddlesports

Length: 14' 0" - Width: 25.00" - Starting at: $1149.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Elie Paddlesports Logo

05-24-2014
Submitted by: Chuck GuySend Email

Turns well with or w/o rudder. Comfy seat. Primary a little weak but very good secondary. Nice hatches but leaks some around seals and have had to fix that. Good boat for the money. Stiff. $935 at REI.

05-05-2014
Submitted by: SE PaddlerSend Email

There are not many reviews available on this boat that are not boilerplate reviews from the two or three actual reviews from demos out there. Hopefully the next bit will be helpful.

I am 6'1" and 230 with large legs. I consider myself cockpit restricted when it comes to buying a kayak as I can only consider the few that i can comfortably get in outside of the recreational lines. I bought this boat without demoing it first and the demos out there are spot on in regards to the general build quality and performance. The hatches do leak some, the rudder is not the best on the market but it is nice to have in strong crosswinds.

I bought this boat for racing in rivers (limited rapids). I wanted something that i could easily handle, that was affordable, and that was reasonable fast.

On open water (large lake) i could comfortably hold a 5-6 mph speed without pushing hard to do so. In the wind, i was surprised to see that i was still chugging along at 4.5 mph in about a 15 mph headwind. I got in 1.5 to 2' waves and had them crashing over the boat. This is my first sit in and i never felt like i would flip whether i was crosswind, headwind, or paddling along the troughs.

My initial review is that this boat is fast with some minor shortcomings that are easily corrected. no boat is perfect, but once i seal the hatches and bulkheads, this boat will be close for me. I consider myself an intermediate paddler overall.

07-24-2013

I bought this kayak for day paddling and light touring. It handles nicely, but is somewhat prone to weather-cocking. The rudder - standard feature worked well to combat this in breezy open-water conditions. It's a bit long for narrow rivers, but the overall handling is very good. The hinged hatch covers seem to be okay for light spray, but my rear bulkhead seemed to let water in from the cockpit. A little RTV sealer took care of this.

I've not rolled the boat to test how watertight the hatches are (other reports indicate that they let in some water). Overall, I like the cockpit and how the boat handles.

06-05-2013

This is a great boat in my opinion. There have been complaints of the hatches leaking; I have not had any problems. I found that all you have to do is keep the latch levers tight.

04-30-2013

Great kayak for the money. Very rigid, feels like a composite boat. Tracks great, fast & very stable. I didn't like the rudder foot controls and the hatches are TERRIBLE! Mine are so bad the leak in the rain on my trailer. BTW the seat is a dream! The foot controls and front hatch are easily fixed with aftermarket replacements, the rear hatch I'm still working on.

09-10-2012

I am 5'9", 180#, slim build. The boat fits like a glove...picked it up used at REI because the previous owner decided it didn't fit... a really great boat... tracks well, good rudder system. Gets up to speed quickly and is responsive. The seat is very comfortable. The watertight hatch is great...the two larger hatches are not watertight but good enough with adequate space. The boat felt a little tippy at first but I have become more accustomed to her...she is very stable when underway.

07-17-2012

Great boat! easy to get up to speed, easy to turn, great seat, nice rudder system. A 1.7 Seals sprayskirt fit it very well. I like the Elie company because they get us out on the water at a reasonable price. I highly recommend this boat.

06-30-2011

Bought one for my wife and one for myself. Awesome boats. Look great, rudder is smooth to operate and tracks beautifully, ample storage and seat is quite comfortable. Couldn't find a better boat for the price. We've only spent about 10 hours on the water, but even in moderate chop the boats road well.

I highly recommend the boat. The only reason I did not rate our Elie's a 10 is because of Elie's customer service, which is through Pelican Sports. Don't expect a quick answer to a question from them. Still love the boats though.