Product Reviews > Accessories > Werner Paddles (misc.) Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Werner Paddles (misc.)

Rated: 8.75/10 Based On: 20 Reviews

Werner Paddles Logo
See Products from Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide!
Werner Paddles in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Whitewater Kayak Paddles
  • Fishing Paddles
  • Touring Kayak Paddles

07-18-2013

I have been a Werner fan for years. I started paddling in my 20s and now in my 50s, but tend to care for and keep my gear for years. I have had 3 Werner kayak paddles. With my smaller hand (I am a petite female) and body frame, the lightweight smaller grip is perfect. Though petite, I am strong and tend to paddle challenging areas. The Werner holds up.

I prefer Werner over other graphite brands as the paddle blade is slightly large and I get more forward movement with each stroke. It is durable and light, both important to me and the style of kayaking I do.

03-24-2013
Submitted by: GPSend Email

I have been paddling kayaks and canoe for 30 busy years... it is always fun, however, now it is a lot more enjoyable with a light and very strong Werner Calliste (seakayak/touring) and Bandit (white water canoe) paddle .. I could not believe the improvement in energy and feel .. do anything except steal one to try it .. awesome feel, response and conservation of stroke energy .. they look cool too! If you are in Banff/Canmore Alberta, contact me for a try!

06-14-2011

My Werner paddle was good for about one year. Then the shaft started fluttering like crazy! I couldn't stand it anymore so I gave it to my brother. I've heard Werner paddles are good but I guess it was just my luck.

02-21-2005

This was the first paddle I owned. Bought it used about 4 years ago. The shaft was a little uncomfortable, there was a little flutter, and the weight could have been a little less. But this paddle was very sturdy and for that reason I loved it. I had the paddle stolen and replaced it with a Whetstone T1 which is better in many ways. But I do miss that Camano, especially on the shallow/gravel bottomed Delaware I paddle in. I'll probably buy another one this summer.

08-29-2002

Final review on Kalliste...I managed to break the paddle blade in a rock garden while surfing. The foam core thing is too weak in our opinion. And even Werner warns that it can be stabbed through the glass face. So we got rid of the survivior and got Werner Camano bent-shaft carbon fiber paddles since we got a deal from NRS. AT was too expensive and cadence was too heavy and felt weird in the hand to us.

Got out replacement Werner carbon bent-shaft Camano paddles at 230 cm. They're light and seem real strong. So far we've paddled only a 100 or so miles on them; 75% in semi-rough to rough open ocean, 25% in surf work (we're sea yakkers) and they feel and work well. We did notice the apparent seam in the shaft that was sanded smooth only at the joint and hand grip areas. AT and Cadence are perfectly finished compared to these. After a couple hundred miles and a kayak trip of two we'll post a followup review.

07-29-2002

I have the fiberglass Werner Camano 220 and it's been a great paddle, strong, nice flex. It's been abused a bit and it's still a trooper. I am thinking about getting a 230 Cadence bent shaft though as the primary paddle and use the Werner as a backup.

07-08-2002
Submitted by: G. BaldwinSend Email

I was looking for a (more)powerful touring paddle, and decided on the Werner San Juan. To thwart theft, I ordered one in yellow for easy ID in a crowd. I THOUGHT I wanted a 230 length paddle. Well, it arrived and my first time out, my girlfriend commented: Wow! that paddle looks short for you! We took it home and compared it to her Sequel 220, and lo and behold!, the shaft length was the same! I think Werner should refine the way they measure paddles. If a Camano blade is 52cm in length and a San Juan is 56cm in length, then there is a difference of 8cm in shaft length between a 230 Camano and a 230cm San Juan. If you want - or are used to - a 230 Camano, then you need to order a 240 San Juan to stay with the same shaft length, otherwise, you lose the effect of the larger blade on the San Juan. Here's the scoop: The Molokai in 225cm has a shaft length of 127cm, the Camano in 230cm has a shaft length of 126cm and the San Juan in 240cm has a shaft length of 128cm. 15cms difference in gross paddle lengths, yet only 2cm difference in shaft length! I rest my case....

06-24-2002
Submitted by: Ken GilesSend Email

I've paddled with a Mohawk paddle for years. I recently enjoyed a trip down the Nanatahala River with my new Werner Nantahala paddle but I couldn't tell much difference. It's a nice paddle, and it feels good but I would recommend trying one before spending the bucks.

04-09-2002

I have a werner mid tour and i may not know much about paddles but this paddle is light and rugged.i have a dagger bayou II and it moves me at about 5mph average according to my gps.thats good enough for me.i was cutting through some ice just sun. apr 7 and man can that paddle take a good beatin'!

04-04-2002

The glass Little Dipper with the small shaft option is a GREAT paddle for smaller paddlers or people with small hands. Very light, rugged, nice in the water, and won't overload a small person. Some stores stock them with the small shaft, or Werner will customize a paddle(length, color, shaft, etc.)for a small charge.

07-19-2001

I purchased a Werner Camano as my main touring paddle. It does have a bit of a flutter despite what Werner says. I have the fiberglass one and the weight is not an issue compared the the carbon fiber modles. The paddle was suiting me fine but just didn't have the push I needed in the wind and chop. I tried a friends long blade touring paddle made by Bending Branches. The Camano stays in the hull as a spare.

07-16-2001
Submitted by: codySend Email

I love mine and its been with me for years.

06-29-2001

I just upgraded from a $70 paddle to the Werner Camano Carbon Fiber. I think I could paddle any boat fast with this paddle. It is so light and feels great. I have a Greenland-style kevlar boat and chose the 220cm length. It felt short for the first day and a half but I wouldn't go back to a longer paddle now. By the way this is the most beautiful paddle that I've ever seen. I wanted before I even picked it up. Get one or two so that you can hang one on your wall.

06-25-2001

I recently was talked into spending the extra money for the Carbon fiber Camano. I paddled the fiberglass for years in rental sea kayaks and loved it. When I purchased my own sea kayak the dealer convnced me to spring for the carbon model: that is the best money I ever spent. Paddling for ten to twenty miles a day, the few saved ounces add up by multiplying the number of strokes times the weight. During parts of the trip the other kayaker on the trip asked to try my paddle, what a mistake that was. Towards the end he whined so much that I had to let him use my carbon blade, he did buy the beer as a rental fee. Upon returning to shore he said he would go back to our dealer and see if they would let him trade up to a carbon. A 10 in my book,no flutter and a joy to use. One trick to ease the assembly and disassembly try using some of the oil from your nose on the ferules.

06-14-2001

I just got back from a trip using my new Werner Nantahala canoe paddle. It has a nice solid feel to it. It has a lot of power and appears to be very durable. The only negative is that it is a little thick for my medium-small hands. Other than that, I would definitely recommend it.

05-16-2000

I have a fiberglass Camano. I love it. I've paddled every other paddle I can borrow, and the Camano keeps on top. Some flex, but not so much I feel like I'm losing efficiency. Smooth catch, good power, no twisting and limited flutter. (The only paddle with a better catch was a Swift, but it had tons of flutter and little power.) Very lightweight, I can't see the need to drool over a carbon fiber paddle. Werner seems to have gotten the design down well. Not surprising it's their best selling tourning paddle. Mine is custom colored mango, and I was told it's visible for quite a distance, which I need with all the idiot powerboaters. Excellent construction. Plenty of surface area for pawlata and screw rolls. My friend just got a Quest for surfing, can't wait to try it out. The Mid-Tour is a less expensive, heavier paddle with the same design as a Camano. I would reccommend the Mid-Tour for someone more price conscious.

03-28-2000
Submitted by: Jimbob

I am new to kayaks and rented a couple Loons before buying a Loon 120. I used a Loon paddle and Wilderness Systems paddles which were okay. I looked around and purchased a Werner Mid version of the Camano paddle. I tried it out on high water on a local river and was impressed. I had so much more control than the other paddles and could feel a big difference in pulling through the water. Especially when coming up through some fast water. It was well worth the $160 I spent.

01-08-2000
Submitted by: G.L.Send Email

I have tried the 230 size San Juan, Camamo and Little Dipper. For my efficient low fiberglass boat the San Juan was just too much paddle and it actually slowed me up, being so slow through the water. The Camano has been my choice, being enough paddle to both accelerate and cruise. The Little Dipper is perfect for cruising but in rougher water, leaves me looking for more bite. The Camano never flutters, or makes me grip hard, and it allows me to vary my stroke too. It is somewhat lightweight and strong in the ferrule. You can feather it or leave it straight. It is probably not a bad price for what it is at 220 bucks. It is also possible to remove the annoying stickers that say Werner, that are found on the paddle faces. Just peal them off and use citrus cleaner and 20 minutes elbow grease to get off the tenacious adhesive. When I am in the water, how many times do I need to be reminded that I am using a Werner Paddle? A little pure silicon spray makes it easier to use assemble and dissasemble. Wash and dissasemble after every use or it just might weld together. My friend has a Camano that she left assembled after salt water exposure and now it is very difficult to take appart and reassemble.

08-05-1999
Submitted by: BoSend Email

Werner Point Paddle. Great paddle at the price point (65.00). 31 oz. glass/composite paddle; tough for whitewater, smooth on flats, thick, solid shaft, little flutter.

04-14-1999
Submitted by: DLMSend Email

Excellent value priced ($110) paddle. I use mine for paddling ocean rock gardens, sea caves and surfing. I am very rough on a paddle and this one takes lots of abuse. Great bite in the water, no flutter or wandering problems. At 46 oz., it isn't light but still a great value. For double the price, the Werner Camano is half the weight, I'd like to try one.